PDA

View Full Version : First proper stack

turbohobbit
18-09-2013, 08:13 PM
I had my first proper stack last night coming home from work. I was slowing down to come off the A3 at my usual exit when the car in front of me - some way in front, thankfully - braked due to a buildup in traffic coming back down the sliproad. I grabbed a handful and AT EXACTLY THE SAME MOMENT travelled over a patch of diesel. The front end gave up and the back followed suit, sliding out. The bike travelled down the road some 10m, partway with me under it. God above only knows what part of my brain kicked in, but I automatically rolled left (I was in the inside lane when it happened, and didn't want to find myself in the middle lane waiting to be squished) and jumped the hell up. With the assistance of the the car drivers in front and behind me, I hauled the bike over the curb and on to the parallel road, took names and phone numbers of the witnesses, photographed the diesel spot and corresponding scrape down the road, and then sat down to take stock for a few moments. The good news it that I was forced to ride home so I don't have any of that fear about getting back in the saddle. The bad news is my Monster and my leg are both a bit crocked. It looks like I have sheared off the right footpeg, sheared off the foot brake peg, straped / mildly gouged the engine casing (where it said "DUCATI"), scraped a bit off the right pipe (no denting though), the right rear indic is hanging off, and loosened the ignition button unit. The steering feels like it is very slightly off to the left, I'm thinking the steering yoke may have been twisted slightly (although it could have been me).

I am royally pissed off (and a bit beaten up) but at least I didn't hit anyone else and I could walk away from it - albeit like a zombie from the Thriller video.

Question: Does anyone know of any Ducati garages in south/southwest London or Surrey who are good at repairs? I bought the bike from Metropolis so they are obviously the first name in mind, but if anyone has alternative suggestions then I am happy to hear them. The insurance company was supposed to call me today to discuss the claim and get things rolling but I've heard nowt from them so far (surprise surprise).

Albie
18-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Firstly I am pleased your at least ok. Can I ask if you had front fork and frame sliders on the bike. They really helped me out and only damage on mine was really the handle bar bung and the gear change end. I know Alec at Ducati Proteam may be worth asking and he's in Kent.
Hope you get it all sorted soon.

steeevvvooo
18-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Glad you are mostly ok! The bike can be fixed easier than you can. As Albie says try Alec as he may be able to offer collection and delivery for a reasonable fee which might be best if you have damaged footpegs.

Hope it can all be fixed relatively cheaply but I would avoid a main dealer if possible unless you want to pay top prices. I bet most of the parts you need could be sourced from eBay and it might be a good excuse to upgrade to rearsets for some added bling... Always try and take something positive from the situation :)

rollo22
18-09-2013, 09:30 PM
There's also Snells in Alton

Wildfire
18-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Glad to hear you're ok! The pulling to the left may be a slightly bent handle bar? You can always try relaxing the yoke bolts and seeing if it straightens up.

Pro-Twins in Godstone are very helpful, main dealer mind you, so they may be pricey.

Metropolis - the less said the better.

gary tompkins
19-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Another vote for Alex & Proteam here

He did a great job of fixing up J.P's 1100 Evo after his track day crash last season

Black Bob
19-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Ah mate, so sorry to hear of your spill but really relieved you're OK. Can't think what more to say right now. Well done for getting straight back on - sometimes a bit of shock can do wonders for blocking out fear.

Pro-Twins in Godstone are very helpful, main dealer mind you, so they may be pricey.

Metropolis - the less said the better.

+1 for the Protwins guys... love 'em. I wasn't aware of their main dealer status, but their labour rates are nowhere near Metropolis... in fact I think they're about half. Very reasonable anyway.

Davidg1230
19-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Sorry to hear about the off. Ducati Croydon (In moto) is probably the nearest main dealer to you? there's also David Robinson in Wandsworth but he's an independant.

SunEye
19-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Sad to hear about the accident and the damage to the bike. Glad that you are not badly injured.

I have always used Pro Twins in Godstone for all my servicing and repairs. They also sold me my evo.

bluestoesonnose
19-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Gald you're ok. The GF dropped her M750 last month and we had similar issues with parts.

I'm not too sure if you're up to fixing your bike but ebay is good for some bits. I also got lucky with Lugi Moto (http://www.louigimoto.com) who were able to help. Finally Moto Rapido will be able to help with new parts and you get 10% off for being a member of this forum.

Steering could be the bars, even if they are slightly bent it'll feel "odd". But best to get some string out and a tape measure to check the wheel alignment, wheelbase etc.

Ok, you're going to be upset with scrapes and marks in the case and exhaust but get the bike into a ridable condition, then look for good used parts in the coming months. Winter is around the corner so save to new(er) shiney stuffs till the spring as much as you can.

turbohobbit
19-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the well-wishes guys, I really appreciate it!

No, no crash bungs in place *facepalm* That'll teach me. It was on my to-do list along with a dozen other upgrades. I think I'll be getting some fitted sooner rather than later.

I did think about replacing things myself but I thought I'd get a quote for the work first and see how it looks. If it's anything less than a grand then I think I'll go down that route, anything more then it'll be an insurance job. With this in mind, I called Pro-Twins a short while ago, purely by dint of the fact that they are closer to me than Ducati Proteam are. Had a long chat with the guys there, the long and short being they're picking my bike up tonight and will deal with my insurance company directly (who still haven't called me back yet - probably a blessing in disguise now PT are involved). We'll see how this one goes....

Thanks again!

SunEye
19-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Pro Twins repaired my M1100 when I binned it in France. I ended up walking away with a new evo at a bargain price. I detailed it in this thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=44704 Sometimes crashes can have a good outcome.

Black Bob
19-09-2013, 01:31 PM

No, no crash bungs in place *facepalm* That'll teach me. It was on my to-do list along with a dozen other upgrades. I think I'll be getting some fitted sooner rather than later.

I did think about replacing things myself but I thought I'd get a quote for the work first and see how it looks. If it's anything less than a grand then I think I'll go down that route, anything more then it'll be an insurance job. With this in mind, I called Pro-Twins a short while ago, purely by dint of the fact that they are closer to me than Ducati Proteam are. Had a long chat with the guys there, the long and short being they're picking my bike up tonight and will deal with my insurance company directly (who still haven't called me back yet - probably a blessing in disguise now PT are involved). We'll see how this one goes....

Thanks again!

I think you're in good hands there.

Plum
19-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Oh man!!! Sorry to hear your bad news, but at least your okay. You can repair a bike!!

Albie
19-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Thanks again!

Do yourself a favour and just get front axle and frame ones for peace of mind. Just over a £100 for R&G aero's and tbh it may have helped and probably so in this case keeping it off the casings but not guaranteed as we all know. I never liked them ever until I bought my NEW bike with Ohlins on,
Glad your getting sorted and like I said your ok.

slinemfc
20-09-2013, 02:06 AM
I had my first proper stack last night coming home from work. I was slowing down to come off the A3 at my usual exit when the car in front of me - some way in front, thankfully - braked due to a buildup in traffic coming back down the sliproad. I grabbed a handful and AT EXACTLY THE SAME MOMENT travelled over a patch of diesel. The front end gave up and the back followed suit, sliding out. The bike travelled down the road some 10m, partway with me under it. God above only knows what part of my brain kicked in, but I automatically rolled left (I was in the inside lane when it happened, and didn't want to find myself in the middle lane waiting to be squished) and jumped the hell up. With the assistance of the the car drivers in front and behind me, I hauled the bike over the curb and on to the parallel road, took names and phone numbers of the witnesses, photographed the diesel spot and corresponding scrape down the road, and then sat down to take stock for a few moments. The good news it that I was forced to ride home so I don't have any of that fear about getting back in the saddle. The bad news is my Monster and my leg are both a bit crocked. It looks like I have sheared off the right footpeg, sheared off the foot brake peg, straped / mildly gouged the engine casing (where it said "DUCATI"), scraped a bit off the right pipe (no denting though), the right rear indic is hanging off, and loosened the ignition button unit. The steering feels like it is very slightly off to the left, I'm thinking the steering yoke may have been twisted slightly (although it could have been me).

I am royally pissed off (and a bit beaten up) but at least I didn't hit anyone else and I could walk away from it - albeit like a zombie from the Thriller video.

Question: Does anyone know of any Ducati garages in south/southwest London or Surrey who are good at repairs? I bought the bike from Metropolis so they are obviously the first name in mind, but if anyone has alternative suggestions then I am happy to hear them. The insurance company was supposed to call me today to discuss the claim and get things rolling but I've heard nowt from them so far (surprise surprise).

As many have said, sorry to hear of your spill but glad to hear you are ok!

Ah mate, so sorry to hear of your spill but really relieved you're OK. Can't think what more to say right now. Well done for getting straight back on - sometimes a bit of shock can do wonders for blocking out fear.

+1 for the Protwins guys... love 'em. I wasn't aware of their main dealer status, but their labour rates are nowhere near Metropolis... in fact I think they're about half. Very reasonable anyway.

I also can't rate the Pro Twins guys highly enough. Have helped me out no end of times already and would have been lost without them with a couple of issues.

Pro Twins repaired my M1100 when I binned it in France. I ended up walking away with a new evo at a bargain price. I detailed it in this thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=44704 Sometimes crashes can have a good outcome.

Sounds like you had a great deal there SunEye :spin:

Wildfire
20-09-2013, 12:11 PM
TH when you're back on the road, give me a shout, I'm actually in Sutton so just down the road from you. My folks are in Kenley, so if you fancy a ride out?

turbohobbit
20-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys!

Bike was collected first thing this morning and I'm waiting on Pro Twins for the estimate now.....

Wildfire - Yeah, sounds good!

J.P
20-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Another vote for Alex & Proteam here

He did a great job of fixing up J.P's 1100 Evo after his track day crash last season

http://ducatiproteam.co.uk/ Alec Short.
Depending on your post code he'll come and get it, and he was very helpful when I had my crash. About £45-£50 an hour for labour is normal.

DO NOT GO TO METROPOLIS. £90 an hour labour charge is a killer and they don't give a **** about the bike.

Glad you made it out of there alive and hope you heal soon.

turbohobbit
24-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Right, update. ProTwins have sent the estimate for repairs off to the insurance company and, as far as I know, they have approved the claim and appointed an engineering company to cross-check the estimate. Once this is done PT will be given the go-ahead to order the parts and get the work done. I MAY even have my bike back in a week or two, which would be bonza!

Dirty
25-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your spill, glad you are ok. Good news about the repairs then :)

turbohobbit
11-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks Dirty!

Another update.... The assessors ticked off the work and I gave the thumbs-up to P2 last Thursday (we're doing some "extras" at the same time). I spoke to Pete yesterday and apparently they're still waiting for some bits from Bologna to turn up and that won't be until next week. So it looks like another week at the tender mercies of South West Trains :(

turbohobbit
19-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I'VE GOT MY BIKE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complete with carbon Termis and tail chop :D

Gotta say, the guys at ProTwins have been absolutely awesome, recommend them in a heartbeat. I've got a bit more work I want to do on the bike, pics will follow when I'm done ;)

Black Bob
19-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah, they're awesome.

Glad you're sorted!