PDA

View Full Version : Clutch interlock switch options

Dave G
16-09-2013, 01:15 PM
I've just serviced the Monster and a short ride in my street was enough to show me the brakes need firmed up.
This in itself is no great issue but the OE masters are very tatty looking now and for years I've had a goldline clutch and brake master sitting in the garage because I could never resolve the stupid clutch switch arrangement.

I'm looking at banjo bolts with built in wiring now as this seems to be a more elegant solution, however, this one:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3107272809...84.m1423.l2649

Is a brake side one and should therefore make the circuit when activated, is this the same for the clutch interlock or is it the other way round and if so does anyone know where I can get one?
(In the UK I must add)

Nottsbiker
16-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Wouldnt it be easier to simply remove the switch and hard wire it 'on'.

Darren69
16-09-2013, 03:39 PM
What does that actually do. I've got one on mine but it doesn't seem to do anything?

Dave G
17-09-2013, 01:57 PM
What does that actually do. I've got one on mine but it doesn't seem to do anything?

It allows you to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in- stalled at lights for instance.

I'm not going to bypass it, but I would like a straighforward solution, if only the Ducati part wasn't so stupidly expensive.

pompone
17-09-2013, 02:05 PM
It allows you to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in- stalled at lights for instance.

I'm not going to bypass it, but I would like a straighforward solution, if only the Ducati part wasn't so stupidly expensive.

You only need to bridge the connection up

utopia
17-09-2013, 02:23 PM
It seems that Ducati used many different systems.
Mine had just the sidestand cutout which meant that you couldn't warm the engine with the bike in neutral and on the sidestand.
Others seem to have a sidestand warning light.
Dunno quite how the clutch switch fits in, but that sounds like yet another system variant.

I modded my bike using a 10p diode between the neutral switch and the sidestand cutout switch, and it will now start on the sidestand, but only if its in neutral. Similarly the engine will cut if you select first gear without flipping the stand up.
Its a cheap, neat and easy mod which seems to work flawlessly.
I can't really see the need for a clutch switch unless you're daft enough to thumb the starter button while sitting on the bike with the stand up and the bike in gear.
If you're interested I'll search out some links to the relevant previous posts.

pompone
17-09-2013, 02:30 PM
It seems that Ducati used many different systems.
Mine had just the sidestand cutout which meant that you couldn't warm the engine with the bike in neutral and on the sidestand.
Others seem to have a sidestand warning light.
Dunno quite how the clutch switch fits in, but that sounds like yet another system variant.

I modded my bike using a 10p diode between the neutral switch and the sidestand cutout switch, and it will now start on the sidestand, but only if its in neutral. Similarly the engine will cut if you select first gear without flipping the stand up.
Its a cheap, neat and easy mod which seems to work flawlessly.
I can't really see the need for a clutch switch unless you're daft enough to thumb the starter button while sitting on the bike with the stand up and the bike in gear.
If you're interested I'll search out some links to the relevant previous posts.

Please..does it work by cutting off the fuel pump?

Dirty
17-09-2013, 02:42 PM

Oh they know me so well :)

utopia
17-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Please..does it work by cutting off the fuel pump?

Nope (mine's a vac pump anyway).
It merely adds the neutral switch into the logic of the sidestand cutout system.
I got the idea (and the diode) from forum member Xenocide.
Here's a link to his original post.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=43683&highlight=starter

I can add details of my particular installation once I get some suitable photos.
But basically, I patched into the wire from the neutral switch with a single wire which went, via a bullet connector and the diode, to the signal terminal on the sidestand relay.
Its extremely neat.....The whole thing is little more than a foot of wire with the diode in the middle.
I may get round to putting together a few kits for doing this mod if I get a bit of spare time over the winter.

utopia
17-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Oh they know me so well :)

Well, yeah.
Before I did the mod, I had merely bypassed the sidestand cutout.
I didn't think I'd ever do it, but one sad day I thumbed the switch with the bike still in gear, while standing next to it.
It lurched forward, fell off the stand, and the adjacent lamppost put a sorry dent in my tank.......:dunce:
The really annoying thing was that I already had the diode but hadn't got round to fitting it yet.
But the dent has become "character" now.

Islander
17-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Nope (mine's a vac pump anyway).
It merely adds the neutral switch into the logic of the sidestand cutout system.
I got the idea (and the diode) from forum member Xenocide.
Here's a link to his original post.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=43683&highlight=starter

I can add details of my particular installation once I get some suitable photos.
But basically, I patched into the wire from the neutral switch with a single wire which went, via a bullet connector and the diode, to the signal terminal on the sidestand relay.
Its extremely neat.....The whole thing is little more than a foot of wire with the diode in the middle.
I may get round to putting together a few kits for doing this mod if I get a bit of spare time over the winter.

It's a doddle to do this. The diode allows the neutral switch to override the sidestand switch (cathode of diode to neutral switch, anode to sidestand switch - cathode is the banded end - a cheap 1N4001 or similar will do). When the sidestand is down (switch open) and the neutral light is on, the diode conducts and effectively grounds out the sidestand switch circuit allowing the ignition relay to close and the bike to start. If the neutral light is off, the diode no longer conducts and with the sidestand down, there's no ground for the relay coil, no ignition and the bike eithe won't start or cuts out. :thumbsup:

Nickj
17-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, yeah.
Before I did the mod, I had merely bypassed the sidestand cutout.
I didn't think I'd ever do it, but one sad day I thumbed the switch with the bike still in gear, while standing next to it.
It lurched forward, fell off the stand, and the adjacent lamppost put a sorry dent in my tank.......:dunce:
The really annoying thing was that I already had the diode but hadn't got round to fitting it yet.
But the dent has become "character" now.

A very characterful dent it is too ;)

I keep meaning to do the sidstand switch mod but not gotten round to it yet.

Darren69
17-09-2013, 07:38 PM
There is also a cable to do all this for the later s4x bikes (maybe the ie bikes also) available that works pretty good. Unplug the ends and reconnect.

utopia
17-09-2013, 07:59 PM
There is also a cable to do all this for the later s4x bikes (maybe the ie bikes also) available that works pretty good. Unplug the ends and reconnect.

Yep. And I don't think they cost a lot either.
I think my system is neater though, if my memory of the plug in type is correct.
Though obviously it is a bit more fiddly to install initially.

Darren69
17-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Maybe, there are so many wires on the S4 that one more isn't so bad, but I remember thinking ok another wire what do I care! :) I doubled it up with the thermostat wires and a bunch of other wires so it don't look so bad. Maybe more a problem on the air cooled bikes?

Dukedesmo
17-09-2013, 08:30 PM

There are no switches on the clutch levers and I can start both my Ducatis in gear, at the lights, with the clutch pulled in (or not)... ;)

Darren69
17-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I've never stalled mine at the lights in gear anyway so I wouldn't know :)