PDA

View Full Version : M900 oil filter leak

RichS
08-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Help,
I have just changed oil and filter for the umpteenth time on my '97 M900
This time it's different. I have a weep of oil coming from around the oil filter. I figured I may have left some debris around the sealing face, although I was sure I had'nt so I ordered another filter and fitted that. This time I was even more particular than normal. Fitted the new filter (hand tight) and hey presto after about 5 -10 miles I could feel oil mist around the filter. I am using genuine Ducati oil filters and am at my wits end. I must have changed hundreds of oil filters in my time, all with no problems or leaks.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to what could be the problem. Has there been a bad batch of filters? I know, I am clutching at straws.

Rich

Starter Sprag
08-09-2013, 05:31 PM
The same happened to me, I think the 'rolled-edge' of the filter is too pronounced, preventing the rubber seal from making proper contact with the engine 'face'

I gave up in the end, now use a different make.

Trying to convince a ducati dealer of this 'fault' was futile

Mark Shelley
08-09-2013, 05:54 PM
A long shot, but are you sure the old rubber seal came away when the old filter was removed? It is not unknown for them to stick in place and you don`t notice it. Check the old filter if you have it.

Stafford
08-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Not an uncommon fault as I recall, I don't use OEM filter either now.
You do of course smear the rubber seal with a dab of oil the ease fitment?
Some options
Oil Filter
(same as fitted to Citroen 2CV & Peugeot 205 & 309) UFI part number (23.105.00) corresponds with;
AC Delco FX0011 (was X4A)
Champion 101
Cooper Z64
Fiaam FT4654 or FT 4847
Fram PH2839, PH2864A
Halfords HOF216
Knecht OC 5 (equivalent to Ducati #065149960 and #090549960)
Mann & H W712/9, W712/11
Motorcraft EFL 47
NAPA: 1352 (1352NAPA and 551352 on the box)
Powertrain FL125
Purflux LS131
Purolator FC 103 or OC 5
Tecafilter Ref OC5
Technocar R12, R72, R434
TJ FB2094
Unipart GFE 201

StevieL
08-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Did an oil and filter change on my 900ie today used a Hi Flo HF153 with no issues, did what the Ducati Suite recommends,hand tight then a further 3/4 of a turn. atb Steve

RichS
09-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Many thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I have not been alone. That helps to restore the confidence.
Rich

Dukedesmo
09-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Use a K&N filter as it has a nut on it, so that you can use a socket to tighten it up a little more and easier but, even more important you can get it off afterwards...

bluestoesonnose
09-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Careful of using some of the filters designed for cars. I can't remember which forum it was now suggested using 2CV filters for a motorbike, turns out that the DP across the 2CV filter was higher causing oil starvation, pump dead heading etc. They found out the hard way...

Changed the filters four times now on our two monsters and not had an issue with OEM ones. That said I could just be lucky.

Never had an issue with getting a filter on or off a monster yet but I do use the correct sized filter socket.

Darren69
09-09-2013, 11:47 AM
While theres a oil thread, has anyone used those re-useable filters. A stainless housing with the filter element inside that you take out and presumably clean or replace?

Dirty
09-09-2013, 01:08 PM
While theres a oil thread, has anyone used those re-useable filters. A stainless housing with the filter element inside that you take out and presumably clean or replace?

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=48041

Flip
09-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Not wanting to state the obvious but it should be a bit tighter than 'hand tight' and as most things when they're disturbed it's always good to check them and give them a little pinch up after a few miles too.

bluestoesonnose
21-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Opened my mouth too soon, the S4R's OEM filter is now leaking. The one on the M750 is ok (fingers crossed)....

utopia
21-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Not wanting to state the obvious but it should be a bit tighter than 'hand tight' and as most things when they're disturbed it's always good to check them and give them a little pinch up after a few miles too.

Couldn't agree more.

The oil filter is a pressed steel unit.
In such a relatively crudely manufactured item, its unlikely that the accuracy between the thread and the gasket sealing face will be particularly high. The thick rubber gasket is an indication of this.
This all suggests that the filter will need a decent tweek to fully seat the gasket under sufficient pressure to make a good seal.
And also, because of the give in the rubber gasket, there's plenty of scope for it to ease off after a while.

I had been blaming my scottoiler for causing a build-up of chain lube oil in the sprocket housing, which was then dribbling out over the lower crankcase.
In fact, when I came to do an oil change, I found that the oil leak was because the filter was barely tight at all, even though when originally fitting it I had used my homemade octagonal ring spanner to ensure a carefully controlled tightening torque.
I now regularly check that the filter is tight.

Incidentally, after spending an afternoon hacksawing and filing some 3/8" steel plate into an octagonal filter wrench, I was miffed to find that the cheaper car filters, while compatible in a functional sense, had a different casing design.
Would you believe it, they have a bloody 15 sided wrench location. Not 16, which would have been vaguely sensible, but bloody 15, just to annoy me. :Furious:

K&N filters have a std/small hexagon on the case, so they're much easier to remove.
I did once see a report where the K&N had been tested and found to offer slightly better filtration performance than the std filter. But then again, I do know that the std filters have had a few design mods over the years, so I don't know how their current performance stacks up against the K&N.

I'm not sure that I'd be confident with one of those billet, washable filters.
Before I used one, I'd want to see some performance data that confirmed that they filtered as effectively as the std type filter.
Apart from that though, they are tempting if the bike is a keeper.

Mr Gazza
21-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Ha ha...I can just picture you filing away at that steel plate..:mand:

I am a chippy by trade..An Apprentice served boatbuilder in fact..

I use plywood for large low stress spanners, such as oil filter tools...much quicker to cut out and plenty strong enough for the job....:mand:

P.S. you are entitled to be cross with the different filter designs.
I have been there myself after buying a special filter socket.:mad:

slob
21-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I use a f*** off great pair of slip joint plumbers grips to tweak the filter about half a turn past hand tight

utopia
21-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes, the plywood idea is a good one.
Its all about using the most ..appropriate.. material for the job in hand.
As you say, quick to cut out and strong enough are the criteria ....though while I might trust it for a ring spanner, I wouldn't fancy it much for an open ender.

In fact, the adaptor/mounting plates for my rearsets, were first made in 22mm marine ply.
And yes, I rode around for a week or two with my footrests mounted on plywood brackets, until I was satisfied enough with the design to copy them in ally.

When I get round to making it, the frame of my new wheel balancer will likely be made of wood too.

My old engineering design tutor had formerly worked in the aircraft industry and regularly extolled the virtues of "timber" as an engineering material.
He was the handlebar moustacheo'd type. Ex RAF, I think.
I can see him now, pacing up and down while waxing lyrical about the engineering benefits of a timber airframe, and the need to always use the most appropriate material for the job.

I ask you though ....why FIFTEEN sides ???
Sixteen would have had some logic, and my octagonal spanner would have still kinda fitted, but fifteen is just being a pain in the arse.
But their loss ...I don't buy their filters.

Dirty
21-09-2013, 07:53 PM
The Mosquito, arguably the greatest aircraft of WWII, certainly amongst the best anyway, had a plywood airframe. Among other benefits there was little need for life rafts or jackets :)

Mark Shelley
21-09-2013, 09:18 PM
The oil filter on my 600 uses the same tool as my BMW R1100GS and R1150R which is handy. Some of the guys in the BMW forum will not use the K&N filters with the `nut` on the bottom as there have been instances of the `nut` just tearing the casing and making it a nightmare to remove. I have to say they must have been over tightened for that to happen

Flip
22-09-2013, 01:48 AM
I use a f*** off great pair of slip joint plumbers grips to tweak the filter about half a turn past hand tight

I love the use of the words 'f*** off great' and 'to tweak' in the same sentence- my kind of spannering!!

bluestoesonnose
22-09-2013, 06:08 AM
It's an Oxymoron, a bit like "Police Intelligence" or "Honest Politician"

Mr Gazza
22-09-2013, 06:04 PM
No, ply open enders are not so good Utopia, but ring spanner types are okay, especially if you keep the ring nice and wide and use good dense ply. I have an immersion heater element spanner that has seen good service.

The last time I used wood on a bike was for some fasion pieces on a Triumph Sprint that I tarted up. Made from 1.5mm ply, then covered with carbon fiber look alike vinyl and stuck on with glazing tape.
Next wooden thing will be a paddock stand for my daughter's KX80, which keeps falling off it's bucket..!!:mad:

Don't start me off about Mosquitos Dirty, you know I love Aeroplanes. :mand: Vampires and Meteors had a fair bit of wood in them, and so did the tail of the Canberra.
A friend of mine has some balsa wood from an actual TSR2...Super Sonic Balsa..!

A Norfolk man made a very succesful and revolutionary bicycle out of wood a few years back. I believe that Lotus tried to buy the rights to make it, but sadly he was killed whilst riding it, and took the secret with him.

It begs the question though...What about a wooden framed Motorcycle..??:mand:

DrD
22-09-2013, 07:13 PM
You mean like this: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2866/9880878273_43f52e8484.jpg

Mr Gazza
22-09-2013, 07:47 PM
:chuckle::chuckle: If 2x3 is the state of the art, then I reckon it should do..:chuckle::chuckle:

Are you sure it's not made of Chocolate??

Dirty
22-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Or

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/199043/images/Poor%20mans%20bike.jpg

Mr Gazza
22-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Mike Burrows wooden prototype for what became the Lotus Windcheetah...Olympic Gold winning bike.
http://i44.tinypic.com/vgkkte.jpg

Mr Gazza
22-09-2013, 09:17 PM
The Lotus Wincheetah...winning gold with Chris Boardman...
http://i39.tinypic.com/34fm8o8.jpg