PDA

View Full Version : K+N filters and jetting

markgrff17
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
hi everyone

i'm new to your forum and equally new to ducati!!
i purchased a 2002 m600 dark a few weeks ago and im really enjoying it. i was wondering if anyone out there has fitted k+n filters and rejetted and what sort of results have they had.
i'm pleased with the bikes performance but just wonded if there are a few more horse in there? its already fitted with arrow carbon cans.

many thanks ............. mark

Pedro
04-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Easiest thing to do is bung a dyno jet kit in, stage 2 from memory and replace the stock filter with a K&N and use an open air box lid. The instructions on the dyno jet kit are good, pretty easy to fit. My wife's 600 runs sweet as a nut after jets, filter and open cans, makes a massive 53 hp at the wheel but pulls well and much nicer to ride

Ped

gary tompkins
04-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Steer clear of pod filters they don't run that well on monsters with stock CV carbs

smiffyraf1
05-09-2013, 07:21 AM
yeah ive got stage 2, open box and k&n thought i had initail problems of not getting over a ton but turns out i was just getting there a lot quicker and then the speedo cablew was slipping so not registering any more. definitely recommend doing it its like a diffetrent bike after and the noise is immense.

markgrff17
13-09-2013, 10:56 AM
hi everyone

yesterday i call in a local workshop to book my monster in for a run on the dyno before setting about fitting filters and jets etc. the technician there recommended running nothing but the standard air box and hi flow filter as open filters do not suit the vee twins very well, he also said a jetting kit will not release much more horsepower but improve ridability?? any thoughts.....

cheers.............. mark

Flip
13-09-2013, 11:59 AM
He may be a little confused with what you mean by the sounds of it.

It is not open filters (he may be thinking 'pod' style which he is quite right don't work well (or at least not with the standard CV carbs) you want but an open air box.

Basically it is the standard air box with the majority of the lid cut open to expose a high flow air filter (something like a K&N or an ITG work well), coupled with a jet kit.

He is quite right in telling you it probably won't add much overall power but it will definitely improve ride-ability through the mid-range and get rid of the noise emission induced dip in rev range.

If you email PDQ they may be able to give you an idea of what you can expect but remember the figures you see on paper are all very well but it's the torque you 'feel' when riding on the road, which is why a well ridden little twin down the right road will still embarrass a not so well ridden same capacity high reving four as they are always chasing revs for their power.

Wildfire
13-09-2013, 01:01 PM
If you do open up the lid, make sure you have the dynojet kit and your carbs work before you cut. Or you have issues. Like me. [hangs head in shame]

utopia
13-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I don't speak from personal experience as my airbox remains uncut (for now), but I have been thinking of making some changes to jetting and intake arrangements to suit my unbaffled termis.
Many of the drastically cut airboxes that I've seen look to me like they are on "dry weather only" bikes and the exposed filter looks likely to get a damn good soaking if the bike ever sees rain, which mine does occaisionally. It seems to me that this cannot help with airflow.
If I do cut mine, I'll probably just put two or three holes, about 25mm in dia, across the rear of the airbox where they remain shielded from the rain.
It might be sensible to start with this kind of minimal cutting, before considering something more drastic. You can always cut a bit more off later, but you can't easily stick any back on.
Then again, I do wonder whether this sort of mod may just mean that some of the air which enters the trumpets at the front of the box will merely be directed straight out of the holes at the back......???

Flip
13-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I think the ITG filters have a template to put holes over the top of the lid.

However, I have a K&N fitted in mine with the top completely open as per their instructions (just leaving a lip around the edge to secure the filter) and my bike has been soaked many times in our lovely British weather during the thirteen years or so it's been fitted with no running problems what so ever.

It would be interesting to know how wet they can get before it causes a problem though.

To add to that thought my little race bike runs a fully open bell mouth to the carb (I know it faces backwards) but that saw a few wet races last year without problems from the spray.

Darren69
13-09-2013, 03:07 PM
The Ducati Performance filter comes with a air box top that is completely and very neatly cut away. For that factory finish. :)

fireman sam
13-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Had a Dynojet fitted by Ducati John wish I had done it years ago really pleased with results on my M6OO cafe racer