PDA

View Full Version : 14 Tooth Sproket

magiolla
04-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Does a 14 tooth front sproket make much of a difference to the 1100 evo and do you need to change the chain if you fit one?Thanks.

Mr Gazza
04-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Lots of info here on this live thread...http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=47415

SunEye
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I've had a 14T front sprocket on my evo since new. I've done about 11,000 miles now. I changed to a 14T sprocket on my 1100 after about a year I think. Neither caused any problems and did not require a different chain length.

Yes it does make a difference. It really depends what difference you want as to whether it is for you. Even with a 14T sprocket I still have to slip the clutch below about 15mph in first, but at least I'm in second at 30mph (I'd be in first if I had a 15T sprocket). For comparison when I had a Kawasaki ZRX1200R I could ride at walking pace with no need to slip the clutch. Obviously a 14T sprocket will reduce top speed (good luck hanging on to ever reach it) and will shorten the gears slightly so you may find yourself changing gear more often and you may find the acceleration to be slightly brisker (that can be controlled by your right hand apparently ;) )

If your issue is with low speed low revs behaviour, then it will help, but probably not as much as O2 sensor eliminators according to those who have fitted them. Mine will be fitted this weekend if the weather is good :D An alternative would be an ECU remap or Termis and DP Race ECU.

There are websites which will accurately calculate your gearing so that you can see the difference in each gear between a 15T and 14T front sprocket or any other sprocket combination you want to try. They've been linked to before from threads on this site.

bluestoesonnose
04-09-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm sure there must be a better way of getting "ridablity" out of a monster without changing the sprocket. Ok it must the be the cheapest way, but...

Puting the De-Cat pipe on my S4R totally transformed the bike and I don't need to slip the clutch above 5mph, and it's happy at 20mph in second and 30mph in third (all only if it's flat). The only issue is harsh throttle response, I can't seem to just feed it in off the stop as I have on my Jap Vee Twins, SV1000 and VTR1000 and the VTR was on carbs!

Rockhopper
04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Ducatis are usually massively over geared to help them pass the EU drive by noise test. A 14 tooth sprocket just puts the bike back to how it should been when it left the factory!"

bluestoesonnose
04-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Ducatis are usually massively over geared to help them pass the EU drive by noise test. A 14 tooth sprocket just puts the bike back to how it should been when it left the factory!"

Is this a fact?

I'm sure if this was the case they'd just remove two or three to the rear as it would give longer chain life?

Flip
04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
What Rockhopper said!!!!

Which is the reason why before fuel injection was common place that a Dyno-jet kit (and an ignition advancer if you could be bothered) made such a difference. As manufacturers (not just Ducati) basically leaned off the mid range and retarded the ignition to get through the drive by noise tests.

I know Ducati list a 14 tooth sprocket as an alternative to the standard 15 tooth but I think this is mostly done to make it easy (and slightly cheaper) for people to change as in my opinion it is far better to add a couple of teeth on the rear to keep the front chain run from being tighter and therefore not so prone to run on the swinging arm slider (nylon bit by the pivot point).

magiolla
04-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys.Have the O2 sensors ordered to try that first.If needs be will do the sprocket as well at later date.