PDA

View Full Version : Running a bike that's been in storage

AndyC_772
02-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi all,

I have a new toy (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=47966) on the way :)

It has about 2600 miles on the clock, almost all of which were done during its first year. Since then it's been sitting in a garage, and I don't think it was specifically prepared for such a long period of storage.

It's had the tank drained and filled with fresh fuel, and the engine has been restarted by a garage. It's had a belt service and has a fresh MOT too.

Is there anything else I should definitely do before riding it? I suspect the battery will have seen better days (though it started up first time yesterday morning), but it's the tyres I'm concerned about. Although they're not badly worn, they're bound to have flat spots from standing still for so long. I figure a brake fluid change wouldn't do any harm either.

Anything else on the immediate 'to do' list? Would I be better off getting it delivered straight to a dealer for some new boots rather than bringing it straight home?

Any other tips for the 1st time monster owner? ;)

pompone
02-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Obviously oil anf filterr,fuel filter, pads. Is it a EFI? 2 or 4 VIf so it may well benefit from a clean up of the throttle bodies, like the air bleed screw etc. what did the garage do to restart it? If I was to do that it would take me at least a day before I press the red button..

bluestoesonnose
02-09-2013, 08:47 AM
What Pomp says and bleed the brakes / clutch and I'd have the calipers apart...

Tyres, from experiance any bike thats stood for about three years the tyres will (if nothing else) be hard and won't perform that well. I'f it's been on it's side stand or even just a rear paddock stand then the tyre(s) may have flat spotted, you'll soon know.

The SV1000 I had which was stood for three years in a dry garage, needed the axles and S/A pivots greasing

One last thing I had with my SV1000 was the brake lines all cracked when I used the bike, these (if rubber) should be looked at.

I mostly too the bike apart (big lumps) and rebuilt it over the winter, I don't think I'd buy another stored bike again, unless it was cheap!

Flip
02-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Personally I'd find out what was done in the service before worrying too much as you may find that the majority of things were done. It has already had a belt change and presumably oil and filters with it. Check that the fluids have been changed as they are a safety issue and good for peace of mind but if not easy enough to do yourself (or cheap enough to get done where you choose to take your bike).

As for the tyres, yes they are probably past their best but if they aren't cracked or were left near flat in storage I would probably run them for a while as the weather is still nice but if you're feeling flush and you'd feel happier then change them too.

The most likely things to have suffered are the other rubber fittings around the bike such as the fork seals which may start to weep after a while of using it again but I think at your bikes' age it already came with braided brake and clutch lines yes?

Other thing worth a little look if it wasn't moved around much is the chain to check the links haven't gone a little dry and taken a shape where it goes around the front sprocket (even an O-ring chain will dry out after a while).

Lastly get some miles on it - they love it!!

Paivi
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Obviously oil anf filterr,fuel filter, pads. Is it a EFI? 2 or 4 VIf so it may well benefit from a clean up of the throttle bodies, like the air bleed screw etc. what did the garage do to restart it? If I was to do that it would take me at least a day before I press the red button..
It's a 695 that we forced Andy to buy. ;)

AndyC_772
02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. More for peace of mind than anything else, I've arranged to have it delivered straight to Snells for fresh tyres and a check over in the workshop. Fingers crossed I don't miss out on the last couple of decent weeks' weather for the year, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end :)

CK & AK
02-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. More for peace of mind than anything else, I've arranged to have it delivered straight to Snells for fresh tyres and a check over in the workshop. Fingers crossed I don't miss out on the last couple of decent weeks' weather for the year, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end :)

Look forwards to seeing it in the workshop then :)

AK

uksurfer
03-09-2013, 06:07 AM
about time you got yourself a decent bike and got rid of that IL4 pile of green nonsense....

oooops

hope it goes well Andy, have fun

AndyC_772
03-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Cheers mate. How's the R1? :mand:

Paivi
03-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Has your arm recovered from the twisting we gave it yet, Andy? ;)