PDA

View Full Version : Transmission slack?

Mr Gazza
31-08-2013, 03:25 PM
I have put a lovely new chain and sprockets on the 900Sie, but I am still getting a "slack chain" feel when riding even though it is adjusted and lubed to perfection.

I know there is a lot of wear in the clutch. I have a 0.8mm gap between the plates and basket, where as the manual states max gap of 0.6mm. So I am saving up for some new plates and hoping there is not too much wear in the basket.

Out of interest, I get a lot (imo) of freeplay at the back wheel when she is in gear on the paddock stand. A fixed point on the tyre will go 70mm before the clutch plates are heard to clang agianst the basket.
This is not something I have ever measured on a bike before, so I'm not sure if it's normal, it just seems wrong.
It doesn't seem to matter which gear it's in, same slack in all 6.

I just wondered how much free movement other folk are getting at the rear wheel and if this really does reflect clutch wear or something more sinister (expensive!)

Cheers

Gazza

Dukedesmo
31-08-2013, 04:26 PM
There's a lot of slop in a Ducati drive train. The clutch hub has a cush drive in that adds to it, although you can get 1-piece hub with no cush drive that makes it more direct (my M900 has one) but it does make gearchanges a bit 'clunkier'.

I don't think 0.2mm of clutch plate wear will amke much difference, except for noise.

Mr Gazza
31-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Dukedesmo.
I can't believe that the cush drive accounts for any of the slack that I seem to have, as it's there to absorb shock loads and is virtually rigid when static...Unless of course I have no rubbers in it?

Remember also that it is not 0.2mm of wear, it is 0.2mm over the permissible limit....And yes it is noisey alright.!!

Are you getting nearly 3" of movement on your rear wheel?

Dukedesmo
31-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Are you getting nearly 3" of movement on your rear wheel?

I'm getting 50mm of movement at the wheel rim in first gear, I've also just checked the 916 and that has about the same despite having significantly more clutch wear and a conventional 2-piece (with cush drives) clutch hub. Monster has a complete new clutch and recent full rebuild so it would seem that 2" is 'normal'.

70mm seems a bit excessive, maybe the rubbers in the clutch are shot?...

Mr Gazza
31-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks for doing that for me DD, I appreciate your efforts.

2" sounds more like it, I could accept that.

I hadn't really considered the cush drive rubbers, but you've got me thinking that they might not be as good as they could be...There is noise in the clutch that even very worn plates does not really explain....So maybe.

There's nothing for it but to bring the clutch overhaul date forward a bit and allow a bit more on the budget:banghead: Best to get her working nicely before the cosmetic stuff.

Hope the freeplay is the clutch and not the gearbox or primary gears.

Where is a good place for new parts these days?
I haven't bought any new bits since Chris Clark was open in Wymondham (that's going back a bit)

gary tompkins
31-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Never checked the free play in my drive line. It does have a lot of lash - more noticable in lower gears but have got used to it. You just have to be smoother with throttle at lower speeds. The trike diff has no cush drive so I really have to ride that smoothly, and guess that helps my technique on the solo.