PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a stutter!

Nwsparky
29-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I think I know the answer(or hope so, im hoping just low fuel) but I was pootling about before when I noticed a slight hunting when off the gas and a bit of splutter on it, I didn't have any fuel light (ive never seen it on:look:) but I'd probably done 100 miles since I last put a tenner in and have been riding fairly hard since. Anyway I continued a 5 mile varied speed ride and it was still lumpy at low speed but fine over 4k if a little poppy. I do have sidi motos fitted but have had no issues over last 5 weeks of regular riding.
It started to feel like it could cut out at lights, I tried to increase revs with the idle adjuster but it had no effect, luckily I was only half a mile from a garage so pulled in (still no fuel light) I put in £10 optimax which brought it to the brim. I then took it for a high speed couple of miles and it seemed fine again? so my questions are, as the fuel light comes on when starting up is it likely to still be faulty? If it were running out of fuel why did it not just give up? Is 100 or so miles about right for a tenner? Being a 620ie would it likely to suffer from gunk being sucked in to the chambers if fuel was low? It has been used very little in the last year but as I say had no issues with running over last 5 weeks....
Sorry if my questions are dumb, obviously I need to ride it again and see what happens but I'm still keen to learn how things normally work....
Cheers

123loopy_lou
29-08-2013, 09:07 PM
mine keeps doing this, only she stops. it takes a lot to get her going again but then she will run 200-300 miles ok. She's then a pain when I've stood it for a week or so.
We have drained the tank and refilled it but it still does it.
Next stop carb rebuild I think!

Nwsparky
29-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I'd understand if it were just off the trailer and had possibly dirty carbs but it's been fine for weeks and obviously has no carbs which is possibly more of a concern? Ill get out on it again tomorrow see how it goes....

Nwsparky
31-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Did 10 miles last night, seemed ok, tick over is 15/1600 which seems a little high? I think I'll whip out the plugs when I get a chance, they weren't done on last service, ill check air filter too....

StevieL
31-08-2013, 08:27 AM
My 900ie became reluctant to start ,cranked over four or five times before coming in on one and then on two, was also rough up to 2500 / 3000 rpm, changed the spark plugs and its transformed the bike, instant starting and much smoother, we often overlook the simple things
atb Steve

Nwsparky
31-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I've no idea if or when mine were last done as its been pretty much unused all its life, can't be a bad idea to get them changed ..

Mr Gazza
31-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Stevie is right about the simple things.

I picked up my ie as a non runner because of extreme "stuttering" and eventually loss of bangs on one cylinder altogether.

Once I got it home and repaired to the point where I could run it up, it took about ten minutes to find a fault with the connector that goes onto the injector (could be an extra verse in the knee bone connected to the leg bone song..!!)

It was as simple as that. The plug was not making with the socket in the injector, even though everything looked fine.

It would work with some cleaner squirted in, but fail again when it dried out.

I replaced both plugs with new ones using soldered joints onto the cables and the bike has done nothing but get better and better since..:D

I found suitable plugs for Marelli injectors on ebay £12 for 4. better than the originals.

Nwsparky
31-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Nuther 20 miles today and seems fine, I think low fuel was likely to blame, I am still going to do the plugs/filter as a precaution...