PDA

View Full Version : Baking an engine and frame advice

ibanezlynx
28-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Hello Everyone,

Question 1
I have an M900 which I want to respray the engine and frame this winter.
For the engine I have decided to use VHT paint as I have read a lot of good things. I am aware that it needs curing at 93 degrees Celsius. I am able to do this with the engine out of the bike as the powder coating chap at my work is letting me use his very large oven...
I feel like this is a stupid question but I want to check that I haven't neglected anything.
Can the whole engine be heated at this temp, minus the belt covers. Are there issues with bearings or grease. The heat cycle is 20 mins so not too long. I don't want to cure it by running due to the heat not being uniform across the whole engine.

Question 2
When the engine is out I want to spray the frame or get it powder coated. I want to keep the frame the same colour. What is the best process to achieve a match. Although, I would be happy to have it black if its offers the best wear properties etc.
Just wanted to see what people have done or if they have any advice.

Thanks
Si

Yorkie
28-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Powdercoat is very good from my personal experience, hard wearing but harder to patch up if damaged.

I have had a full frame, wheels, clip-ons for my SS project done and various bits on my monster. Good preparation is the key!!

Yorkie

Nickj
28-08-2013, 07:46 PM
The motor will get hotter on a good thrash so should be OK ..... unless anyone knows better that is

Wildfire
28-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Powdercoat is very good from my personal experience, hard wearing but harder to patch up if damaged.

Yorkie

This. My brother had his XL 400 frame powder coated and the finish was much better than spraying.