PDA

View Full Version : Advice on packing a tool roll

Akita Boy
24-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Just bought a kriega tool roll of flea bay, as someone still quite new to the world of Ducati's; I'd be interested to know what sort of tools people carry with them when touring.

I've got one eye on the Belguim trip, and am wondering if there's any hidden gems that I should pack on top of the obvious adjustable scanners/allen keys?

Cheers

Ian

Mr Gazza
24-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I would not advise packing any hidden gems on top of your obvious adjustable scanners.

This will get you in big trouble with Customs and Exise..:chuckle:

uksurfer
24-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Gaffa tape

zip ties

shower cap

rollo22
24-08-2013, 08:59 PM
All of the above + RAC or AA. Card

Dirty
24-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Small tin wd40

Large tin whipped cream

gary tompkins
24-08-2013, 09:59 PM
All of the above + RAC or AA. Card

Ditto + euro assist cover for weekend

Oh.. and bag of carrots for the donkey's

Nickj
25-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Just enough to do exciting jobs like tweak the lever positions, removing the oil cap. If you want to lug the extra weight around sonething to adjust the chain but you'd only really need that for an extended hoon round europe.
An emergency tyre pucture kit's small enough to carry round, probably well worthwhile
Past that roadside repairs are likely to need more than you have the space to take.

Darkness
25-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Gaffa tape

zip ties

shower cap

I find a Visa card can fix most things, though a mobile comes in handy too.......

Akita Boy
25-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I'm beginning to think that my barclaycard, iPhone and AA card will be all I need to take with me.

And the whipped cream, shower cap and bag of carrots of course!

gary tompkins
25-08-2013, 10:28 PM
The Donkey's will thank you for it

utopia
25-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Might be worth taking a short length of steel tube to use as an extension for the allen keys. Some bolts are fairly high torque, and then there's corrosion too.
Also, adjustable spanners have poor access and perform poorly. I'd stick with plain open enders. 8,10,12 & 13 are what I carry.
Maybe a miniature led torch, for peering into the darker regions or for nightime emergencies.
Small pair of pointy nose pliers with cutting edges.....particularly handy for pulling nails out of your tyres.
Emergency tenner ?

Funkatronic
26-08-2013, 12:39 AM
i carry very basic tools set
phone with ability to charge from the bike is essential
46mm rear wheel socket is also essential as very few places will have one this large. you can get lightweight alloy ones (eg oberon) which save weight but are crap imho. i carry a full steel one, its a ballache but a necessity
front wheel socket is also useful (but not essential imho)
headlight bulb
spare fuses
spare relay
quick hit puncture repair kit
torch
small socket set and hex keys - have a look a the motion pro tools, build a little kit with the essential sizes you need
needle nose adjustable mole grips
electrical tape
cable ties
knife
chain adjuster c spanner is useful if your going for more than 2 weeks or doing serious miles

a universal sink piug comes in useful for hand washing your sweaty socks and scruds

slob
26-08-2013, 07:37 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=17235&stc=1&d=1377545458

I also carry a selection of bulbs/fuses and temporary puncture plug kit under the seat.

No substitute for an recovery card and a mobile phone though :-)