PDA

View Full Version : air box on carb m600

d.man
13-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi all

I have a m600 MY95. I have recently purchased a K&N filter and have read that 'chopping' the air box will improve things (power and sound) etc. The bike runs with standard carbs and Leo Vince SBKs.

Do i just cut a hole in the top of the stock box - but leave enough of a perimter to allow the clasps to hold the remaining bit to the base part?

I have also got my hands on a dynojet stage 2 kit - bearing in mind i am no mechanic (but i do have the fabled Hayes manual), is ths kit easy enough to fit?

Any help gratefully received.

thanks all

Danny

chris.p
13-08-2013, 12:45 PM
The Ducati Performance air bix lid is just the vertical sides of the airbox, ie just enough to securely hold the air filter down.

Chris.

utopia
13-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I have no personal experience as my airbox is uncut, but I'm wary of drastic chopping because of the likelihood of water getting at the exposed filter.
If I was to chop mine (and I am considering it) I would just cut some holes in the rear of the lid, which should avoid the above problem.
I've been told that three holes, around 25mm dia, should do the trick.
Also, I'd then be inclined to have the bike dyno tested and rejetted accordingly, rather than simply fitting a dynojet kit and hoping that its somewhere close.

smiffyraf1
13-08-2013, 02:39 PM
have the stage 2 DJ kit and open box lid with k&n on my 750. had no problem with water ingress think if you keep the filter properly oiled even if you ride in the rain you should be ok, ill admit though my mostro rarely sees wet weather. you will need to fit the kit with the lid and filter tried to do mine without messing with the carbs but would not run at all. just too lean. if you fit the DJ kit as instructed for you bike and at the notches it says you will pretty much be bang on the money. have played around with mine but no changes made it run better than it does at the positions out of the box.

chris.p
13-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Here is a picture of a genuine Ducati Performance Air Box Lid, from Ducati for a 620, it is the same as the one that fits the 600.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=14803&d=1295775694

Never had a problem with water ingress.

Chris.

d.man
13-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks as ever for the advice - will have a ponder as what to do, and will report back!!

Cheers.

Danny