PDA

View Full Version : Termignoni install on 696 - how to?

Martin696
12-08-2013, 10:43 AM
With a bit of luck, by the end of this week, I should have a set of Termi slip-ons, a racing ECU for my bike, and a K&N air-filter. Is there any guidance on how to get it all done? Anyone got any tips / tricks? From what I can tell, the cans should be straight forward - a few bolts, springs, remove / replace, redo springs, bolts. For the ecu & air filter, remove the tank (or get someone to hold it?) then remove / replace the ecu (a few bolts & it just pulls out and plugs back in?) and remove / replace the air-filter (not sure what's involved here...)

pte1643
12-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Removing the Tank is a bit of a task. The details of how to are in the Owners manual.

After that, the ECU is held on (next to the battery) by 4 screws and a Multi-Plug connector.

The Air box is right in front... Couple of screws to undo, then the top cover will come free WITH the air filter. The Air filter then unscrews from the "Lid" of the Airbox.

Martin696
12-08-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows of any trustworthy independents in / near Milton Keynes that could do this for me? OYB is good but a long way away!!

jonzi
12-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't suppose anyone knows of any trustworthy independents in / near Milton Keynes that could do this for me? OYB is good but a long way away!!

If you can turn a screwdriver you can do this.

Scared the poop out of me as this was the first thign I did to my bike but was easy enough in the end.

Take all the screws out of the tank covers. There are two in the front that you haev to push the bars to the side to get to, the ones on the top around the filler cap, and then one either side down by the frame.

The panels come off individually, they slide back a little and then come off.

Then undo the bolts that hold the centre tank cover piece. You just need to do the bottom 3 bolts if I recall correctly.

If the 696 tank is the same as the 796, you will have two horizontal bolts that hold it on to the frame. These are half way along the tank. you will probably need a 10mm spanner for these.

Before you lift the tank off, pull out the black rubber hoses. No fuel will come out of these and they can be left dangling.

I used a tall chair to hold the tank to the side whilst I put the new air filter and ECU on, other wise you have to take the fuel pump cover off, which is located right at the bottom of the tank, under where you sit.

Or just have a friend hold it whilst you do the work, obviously easier if the tank isn't full to the brim with petrol!

And that is the hard part done, now put it all back together in reverse order, and once the cans are in rev the nuts out of it and annoy the neighbours!

IMO, A dealer will probably charge an hour or 2 work for this and it's something that can easily be done yourself and you get to see the inside of your bike and start to learn how it works (kinda)

Martin696
12-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Ok, sounds easy enough... Are you on emergency standby duty this weekend then Jonzi? :-D

jonzi
12-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok, sounds easy enough... Are you on emergency standby duty this weekend then Jonzi? :-D

No

But seriously it's a doodle, I bet even Bex could do it

Rally
13-08-2013, 05:42 AM
But seriously it's a doodle, I bet even Bex could do it

Yeah, she can. She just asked nicely! Lol :mand:

itguy
13-08-2013, 06:27 AM
I think I've got the install instructions in the box that my exhausts came in if you need them...

Martin696
13-08-2013, 07:32 AM
I think I've got the install instructions in the box that my exhausts came in if you need them...

Being extra cheeky, but I don't suppose you could scan them and send them to me could you please? There'd be a beer in it for you ;)

Martin696
18-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Ok, I've put the cans on... Straight forward & took no more than 20 minutes. I've taken the bike for a quick run and wow what a sound!! Much to my surprise, the bike actually felt a bit smoother than with the stock cans on. So, would I be damaging the bike if I don't change the ECU & filter straight away? I use the bike for commuting and leave the house at 6:30 so want to see if I get any complaints from the neighbours...

jonzi
18-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Not sure, but if you get really stuck with it, bring the bike to Brands on the 27th and I'll have a tool box and can help you sort it out between sessions.

pte1643
18-08-2013, 01:55 PM
So, would I be damaging the bike if I don't change the ECU & filter straight away?

Not really.

It may run a little lean top end, but so long as you're not against the stop all the time it won't hurt.

I run mine with Arrows and the Stock ECU.