PDA

View Full Version : Oil breather reservoir

damien666
11-08-2013, 02:57 PM
How important is this, can it be replaced with a k&n type breather filter?
I'm fitting a Mosfet type regulator/rectifier in place of the original, however the original sits on top of a specific shaped plastic oil breather reservoir. The new regulator requires more space due to the plastic connectors which go directly into rectifier unit, as opposed to being 5 inches or so away from the rectifier as per the original.
Anyone done away with one before/ any down sides, such as oil dribbling everywhere?
Cheers.

Nickj
11-08-2013, 03:55 PM
No dribbles
No mayonaise in the cranks

Put the filter somewhere where if any oil comes out it doesn't spatter all over the rear wheel, you can use some of the original pumbing for this

Dukedesmo
11-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Personally I'd advise you keep the tank, it serves as a catch tank in case any oil gets past the breather, especially on a 4v engine that will rev higher than a 2v.

The 'best' setup is to fit a larger tank and re-locate the reed valve from the breather to the airbox (after the tank) as this reduces crankcase pressure which makes oil blow-by less likely and can actually give a couple more HP at higher revs, although this is only really required on race bikes.

A filter on the breather may spew oil out over the rear wheel, especially if you like to wheelie and this setup is best avoided IMO.

slob
11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
A good read here (http://www.106rallye.co.uk/members/dynofiend/breathersystems.pdf) if you really can't sleep.
A V-twin with single crankpin shifts a huge amount of air compared with a four

damien666
11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Cheers for the replies.
I've spent a bit of time on the plastic catch tank today. I've cut part of it out to give clearance for the connectors on the new rectifier. I'm going to take it into work tmrw to either plastic weld it or use special plastic adhesive. I need to identify what plastic it's made from as there's no markings, just the part number.

Dirty
11-08-2013, 10:59 PM
A good read here (http://www.106rallye.co.uk/members/dynofiend/breathersystems.pdf) if you really can't sleep.
A V-twin with single crankpin shifts a huge amount of air compared with a four

I got to page 13 even though I didn't understand much past page 3!

gary tompkins
12-08-2013, 12:25 AM
I ditched my breather box and went for a k&N ages ago

Been like that for over 20,000 miles now with no problems

jerry
14-08-2013, 04:24 PM
All 4 of my ducatis have K&N type breathers including the 4v S4 never had any issues

rollo22
14-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Also enables the rectifier mod to be done. Where the rectifier is under the seat.
It basically turns it upside down to allow better cooling.
A search of the net will find it cos I can't remember where I found it.