PDA

View Full Version : Droped the bike, sidestand bent

lookleft
09-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi All,

Managed to drop the bike in front of the garage :shocked:, luckily only side stand and clutch lever got a tad bent. Anyone got any experience straightening the darn thing? Will it snap if i take it off the bike and give it a few bashes with the hammer? Or will the hammer make a difference at all?

Its not silly bent, but just bent enough so that its standing on the edge of the foot and making me nervous about a second hit to the ground..

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Cheers

Dirty
09-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Although I'm always keen to use a hammer in almost any repair situation I'd probably try heating it up a bit then rebending it back possibly using a vice and a bit of scaffold bar if needed.

lookleft
09-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Hey Dirty, thanks, Reheating and bending is probably a better idea than bashing it with the hammer.
Ill give that a go tomorrow,
Cheers

bluestoesonnose
10-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Heat will be your friend for the stand, as will Moto Rapido for the clutch lever

utopia
10-08-2013, 11:09 AM
The trouble with holding it in the vice to bend is that you need to hold it right at the apex of the bend, or at least very close to it, and when you apply heat the bulk of the vice sucks the heat away from where you want it.
Might be worth finding a piece of solid flat bar to grip alongside the stand, on the convex side with its end at the apex of the bend. Then both can be held in the vice with the bend protruding further out, allowing you to apply the heat to the bent area a little more effectively.
Then you should be able to bend it back against the flat bar.
Hope that makes sense.

If you're not fussed about cosmetics, or need it fixed quickly, the clutch lever will probably straighten with a little heat too.
My dommie has a clutch lever which was straightened this way more than 5yrs ago and its been fine.

Black Bob
10-08-2013, 11:38 AM
A sidestand that bends? Sounds ****ed to me.

Nickj
10-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Not sure what the stands are made of but most likely it's going to be cast steel (there is a real difference between cast steel & iron, malleable iron and forged steel). Each has a 'best' temperature for bending and cooling. If in doubt go for what is usually a generic catch all.

First you need to get it hot, best colour to go for is medium red which is a kind of dull black red, keep it at that colour for a few minutes so it's heated right through.
Now using whatever is your chosen method bent it back straight.
It's still going to be very hot and the best thing to do is let it cool back to surrounding temperature slowly (you could quench it it water BUT if it's the wrong metal then you'll make it brittle).
If you have some dry sand cover it in that and leave it overnight, if not just leave it for a few hours to cool.
A longer slow cooling is best if you can do it.
Then repaint.

Dirty
10-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Personally I wouldn't get it anywhere near red hot. Too much can go wrong. It bent out of shape cold so in theory can bend back cold but a bit of heat will just help it along.

Geoff Ives
11-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi All,

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Cheers

Have you concidered welding a peice to the foot of the stand to regain the angle until you can find a replacement on e-bay or whatever?

Nickj
11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
The problem is that it has bent, cold bending just weakens it more and doesn't reform the local crystaline structures in the metal.
Cold bend it and it will bend again, also it will (that's IT WILL) be weaker at that point.

Dirty
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
The problem is that it has bent, cold bending just weakens it more and doesn't reform the local crystaline structures in the metal.
Cold bend it and it will bend again, also it will (that's IT WILL) be weaker at that point.

NickJ you are 100% correct. The thing is though heating it perfectly and rebending it so that it isn't weaker or regains it's original strength is such an exact science and a big ask for someone with just a blow torch (or in my case the gas rings) and no temp indicator other than inexperienced eyes/metal colour. Getting it red hot and getting it wrong could easily get you in even more trouble and end up even weaker or brittle.

Don't get me wrong. I love playing with fire, hammers and hot metal and would happily give it a go on a number plate holder or inconsequential bracket. Just not on a lever or side stand. That's just me though. I'm sure plenty on here have the skills.

lookleft
17-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi all,
Sorry for late response, but brought the Monster up to Snowdone this week. Fab roads and fab trip.

Well, back to the stand, thanks for all the input guys. On my way up north I poped by a ducati shop and was told that the stoper had been bashed somewaht as well in addition to the bend. The mechanic recomended to get a new one but it will do the job for a while if I am mindfull wheen parking it.. Will probably go on ebay as I am low on tools required to attempt what suggested above and bending it. But it suck forking out cash for a stand when new bike gear is needed. But hey ho..

Any one got a spare side stand to flogg?

Cheers guys!