PDA

View Full Version : Choke...

Martin696
07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
The 696 is the first bike I've had in ages that has a manual choke - I am finding that I have to use it every time I start the bike, even when it's 30 degrees outside, otherwise it cuts out almost straight away. The other morning, I had ridden about half a mile and turned it off, got to a roundabout, went to change down and it cut out!! Is this normal? I usually have to have the choke on for about 2 miles before I can trust it to not cut out? Should I be mentioning this to the dealer when it gets serviced on Saturday?

Scott1
07-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Mine was exactly the same, used to have to start it with the choke on whatever the weather then leave it for five minutes to get the temp up or it would cut out, I think its fairly common.

bex
07-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I had a choked 696 as a courtesy bike on one of our superhot days a while back. I think it was just about warmed up by the time my commute from the dealer to work was over. It was a pain in the arse.

Wildfire
07-08-2013, 12:52 PM
The current Monster I have requires choke to get it going whatever the weather.

gary tompkins
07-08-2013, 01:08 PM
It's not a choke on injected engines just a fast idle lever to prevent stalling

The mixture is controlled by ECU and engine sensors for cold mixture setting, so it could be it needs recalibrating if you are having problems

ercasa
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
My 696 (all standard) i typically turn it on with full choke, then after 30s go to half, then after another 30s-1m i close it. I do this routine with bike parked while i put helmet/jacket/gloves on so by the time it's done the bike is slightly more warm.

In the first five minutes have to play a bit more with revs/clutch when pulling off lights etc, but hardly noticeable now as i got used to it.

Martin696
07-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Ok thanks for the info - good to know it's standard :-)

bluestoesonnose
07-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Have to say the M750 with new plugs, air and fuel filters doesn't require choke at the moment, even after a week of sitting in the garage.

I think as the air temp cools down things will change

Rockhopper
08-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Its all down to set up - my ST4 has never required its use, even on the coldest of mornings.

utopia
08-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Have to say the M750 with new plugs, air and fuel filters doesn't require choke at the moment, even after a week of sitting in the garage.

Neither does mine with, er .....OLD plugs, air and fuel filter.
I guess the old air filter may be acting a bit like a choke by now though. :o