PDA

View Full Version : hyd clutch - loosing fluid

nessie
11-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Having trouble selecting neutral, noticed fluid level was low so topped it up. Signs of paint peeling away on engine casing where hydraulic cable enters engine. There was some of this before I got the bike. I think I read, or was told somewhere on this site that you only need to replace an 'o' ring, but I have been told by a mechanic that the whole 'thingy' on the engine casing needs replacing.
Any suggestions?

M900Dom
11-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Phone Pro Twins in South Godstone in Surrey
Ask them for one of their "Quad ring clutch seals"
I bought 2 about 5 years ago when I replaced mine, cos it had the exact same symptoms.
Lost the other seal, never had a problem since.
It was about £2 something ;)
You will also need a new dust seal as this is always trashed...

Undo 3 bolts for the Slave cylinder
Pull clutch slowly to pop out piston, drain fluid, clean with Aerosol brake cleaner.
You may need to clean up the bore with some fine wet&Dry if it has corroded in there (Water gets in and sits at the lowest point, corrodes the bottom of the Cylinder bore, this destroys the seal, clutch stops working because fluid has all leaked out)
Clean again, clean piston, remove old seal.
Lubricate new seal with new DOT4 brake fluid, fit new seal to piston, lubricate bore with new fluid, open bleed screw and insert new piston.

[haynes mode on] refiting is reverse of removal, then Bleed clutch with new fluid...[Haynes mode off]

Bleeding it will probably be the hardest part ;) :D

HTH
Dom

Pedro
11-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Spot on Dom, I did the same but go my seal kit from Moto Rapido in Winchester. It's bit fiddly and messy to change but problem solved!

Nessie - give me a shout if you want first hand experience on changing this seal - it's not too hard to do

Pedro

nessie
12-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info guy's
I'll get me a seal kit and give it a go.
Happy New Year

Regards

Nessie

Andy S
12-01-2004, 01:25 PM
The guys are right on about seal in clutch slave cylinder going bad.

When you put in the new seal it would be good idea to polish up inside slave cylinder body with metal polish like Autosol.

When i fixed mine (it's a v common fault :rolleyes: ..)
I could see a rim of hydralic fluid residue where the seal was suposed to lie and amke its sealing.
Well it gives you new seal an even better chance of fixing fault.
You could go the whole hog and put in some synthetic hydralic fluid (from Demon Tweeks and alike) in, that would be kinder to seal as it goes through thermal cycle of heating with engine...:o

Have fun Andy S:lol: