PDA

View Full Version : Neutral

peatrich
26-07-2013, 11:26 PM
While I was out and about in the fine weather in Derbyshire today, it occurred to me that the only time I can always find neutral is between second and third and between third and fourth when I am overtaking! Never when I stop at a junction or traffic lights - just saying ;)

OliRS
27-07-2013, 07:05 PM
:chuckle:

I have got into the habbit of selecting neutral just before I stop rolling before the junction and it slips in easily.

JuZ
27-07-2013, 08:10 PM
My 600 was the same, it was easiest to get into neutral when moving even just at walking speed, stationary it was almost impossible.

peatrich
27-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Yes, you definitely have to be moving - especially moving between third and fourth! ;o)

stormlet
28-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Ahhh, the joys of neutral! I have been learning all about this for the past few weeks. Including one occasion when I found on starting the bike that, although the neutral light was ON, the bike thought oherwise...

Martin696
28-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Ahhh, the joys of neutral! I have been learning all about this for the past few weeks. Including one occasion when I found on starting the bike that, although the neutral light was ON, the bike thought oherwise...

I've had that too - was fun! I think mine was because I put the stand down with the bike in gear still.

utopia
28-07-2013, 12:12 PM
re. neutral light on but bike still in gear.....
Apparently the neutral switch (located at rear of crankcases) is adjustable using shims.
I think this is probably more for when you're fitting a new switch than for periodic adjustment of the existing one, but it might be worth looking at. ...maybe they wear slightly and go out of adjustment eventually ...?
Or, possibly someone has fitted a replacement switch in the past without shimming its position.

I almost never get false neutrals on my 750, and in fact the gearchange is quite slick compared to older bikes that I've owned.
It was a lot better when I fitted rearsets though.
I put this down partly to careful fine adjustment of the lever position (advisable on std footrests also).
Other than that, a well adjusted and lubed chain always helps.

But every bike I've owned has been a little tetchy about finding neutral at a standstill.
It seems to depend on how the stars/cogs align when you come to rest.
But either a slight movement via the clutch, or rocking the bike back or forth to take the tension out of the transmission, usually sorts it out and this has become second nature over the years such that I hardly notice myself doing it.
Also, on the aircooled bikes which can easily get a bit warm during a long traffic light stop in hot weather, its worth sometimes just killing the motor with it in first gear, until the lights change.

stormlet
28-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Will definitely have a look at the switch, Utopia - thanks for the info :)

I don't get a false neutral so frequently now, but the first week or so was a bit trying - I thought it was just general hopelessness on my part so it was comforting to find that it seems to be a fairly common problem!

utopia
28-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Actually, I find that finding false neutrals or generally making bad changes can sometimes be a confidence thing as much as anything.
If I half expect the change to be bad I seem to tense up a little, and my timing goes out of the window, resulting in a clunk or a missed gear.
But when I'm more relaxed and generally expecting a good change, that's usually what I get.
I guess that means that, if you can effect some minor improvement to the system, the benefits are likely to be much larger than you might expect, as your gearchanges become more confident.

On a really good day, when all is right with the world, my gearbox is as slick as butter.

I do run a scottoiler though, so the chain is always well lubed and tensioned, and has no tight spots.

stormlet
28-07-2013, 09:40 PM
I suspect that the part of the system needing the most improvement is actually me...

I tend to lack confidence in my riding ability - I need to relax more and trust my bike. Tony (Islander) is always telling me this.

peatrich
31-07-2013, 11:49 PM
In my case I think its jumping from one bike to another. The bike has a new properly tensioned chain on new sprockets and there is no slop in the gear lever, it just requires a slightly firmer foot than the Honda

Wildfire
01-08-2013, 01:12 PM
My 600 was the same, it was easiest to get into neutral when moving even just at walking speed, stationary it was almost impossible.

My commuter M600 was the same. The 2001 has a smaller issue, and it's just occasional.

peatrich
01-08-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm not bothered at traffic lights but its disconcerting to rev out in neutral between 3rd and 4th, or 4th and 5th. I guess the gearchange is a bit more industrial than I'm used to...

Dirty
01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm not bothered at traffic lights but its disconcerting to rev out in neutral between 3rd and 4th, or 4th and 5th. I guess the gearchange is a bit more industrial than I'm used to...

Glad it's not just me then! :)

Martin696
04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Glad it's not just me then! :)

Me too... Went for a long ride today to H's cafe & had 3 false neutrals, all between 5th & 6th, and all on the return leg... The bike has only done 700-odd miles & has a scott-oiler.

Fatal
04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Mine came with a free bag of false neutrals, I just haven't worked out where to put them yet:dizzy::dizzy:

Alan H

Dirty
04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Mine came with a free bag of false neutrals, I just haven't worked out where to put them yet:dizzy::dizzy:

Alan H

Stick em on ebay!

Mark Shelley
08-08-2013, 03:12 PM
I think false neutrals is an Italian thing. My Guzzi T3 has them. Having said that, the box on my little small block V50 has one of the slickest boxes ever.
If you want clunky, try a BMW boxer! I have two of those as well.

wezrvf
11-09-2013, 10:36 PM
I have had this same thing and never knew what it was. I have never noticed this on any bike before. Usually if I am really pushing it between 4th and 5th the revs shoot up and I always thought maybe I have not let he clutch out fully which I have never done. Why the hell can you hit a neutral between other gears ??

Is it if you don't give it a hard enough kick ??

Darren69
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
I found that the biggest single improvement you can make to the gear change action is fit a better quality clutch. I fitted slipper clutches to both my 748 and then when I rode that I wanted one for the S4. No false neutrals, can get neutral even if at a standstill and the action is much smoother generally. Not quite sure whether its because of weight reduction (about half the weight), the slipper action of the clutch or that it is generally just a better quality unit. The standard dry clutch by comparision is total junk.

sapone cremoso
12-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Also make sure you're pulling the clutch all the way in to select neutral when stationary thus pushing the little switch. This seems to make finding it a lot easier on mine