PDA

View Full Version : S4R Belly Pan

bluestoesonnose
22-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Not being troubled by virtues such as patience, having more time on my hands than I know what to do with, not being able to ride the bike at the moment. Oh! and I can't be bothered to wait for someone to come along with a S4R belly pan, so I'm going to cut up the one I got from Mintyhit.

The pan has seen some action so I'm not too worried about cutting it up to fit. The rear end looks like it's been dragged down the road, two lugs are missing and there is the odd bit of "rash".

So Pt 1. or what do I need to do to make it fit?

Well, offered up, it is clear that the "udder" is getting in the way and the rear of the pan will have to be cut away to clear it. Ok, I could fit a de-cat pipe but finds are tight due to the afore mentioned time off.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i391/bluestoesonnose/BellyPan2_zps62cb60c8.jpg (http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/bluestoesonnose/media/BellyPan2_zps62cb60c8.jpg.html)

So with the cut lines marked up on masking tape we're ready to rock 'n' roll. Well almost, something that Utopia said when I was making the M900 belly pan fit the M750, was playing on my mind. Namely heat build up; it was obvious from the stickers that quite a bit of heat had built up and almost boiled the stickers off. Therefore, I'm going to cut a hole in the underside of the pan.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i391/bluestoesonnose/BellyPan1_zps24a94221.jpg (http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/bluestoesonnose/media/BellyPan1_zps24a94221.jpg.html)

Funkatronic
22-07-2013, 10:04 AM
dont cut the pan to fit over the udder, buy a decat pipe and lose the udder, then buy a monza shape belly pan

you can then hen sell it to the desmo due people on DSC as it looks like an S4 challenge belly pan which are ACU approved (as its designed to hold the contents of the sump should the engine go bang). once you cut it wont be much use to anyone

my 2p

bluestoesonnose
22-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the 2p, but there are two holes in the bottom of the pan (these look factory). So I'm not too sure its what you think it is.

If I could find a de-cat that:
Fitted (no mods to make it fit)
Cleared the oil filter and sump plug
Wasn't made of tissue thin stainless
I'd be interested

That said, I may get one made (later in the year) if I could find a damaged "udder" to use as a pattern.

Not cut the pan yet, that said I have re-advertised it (last week) if someone makes me an offer (what I paid for it) then it's theirs

bluestoesonnose
22-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Oh and DSC?

Funkatronic
22-07-2013, 11:10 AM
its just an idea sorry didnt mean to sound pushy, its your pan chop away :-)
just it occured to meyou will want to lose the udder soon any way (who wouldn't) so chopping a usable carbon race belly pan that you should be able to get your money back on seems a little rash is

DSC = ducati sporting club (http://www.ducatisportingclub.com)

many of the folk on there race monsters. to do this then need to fit an ACU aproved belly pan. as its for race use, they are likely to be less concerned about scrapes or minor repairable damage. DSC is most likely place you will find a buyer for it imho.

the 2 holes in the bottom of the pan are plugged up with rubber bungs on track but are there to allow the easy and contained draining of any fluids that accumulate in a the pan

bluestoesonnose
22-07-2013, 11:15 AM
I mate, not pushy quite liked the option of it going to a good home, I'm waiting for my registration of DSC to be sent to see if anyone wants it before I chop it.

Shame we've not managed to sort out the details on that de-cat pipe of yours as I'd have it in a flash if we knew it would fit...

Cheers

utopia
22-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I was going to make the same comments as Funk, ... but with the same proviso that its your pan to cut as you see fit.
re. the exhaust heat ....my original pan was a similar size/shape to your carbon one, but did have a large, mesh covered cooling vent at the front. The rising heat when stationary at traffic lights in summer weather was very noticeable indeed.
I fitted a Monza pan, as you're probably aware, and it was much better. Actually, I fitted it in a slightly different position to the norm, ie mine is raised higher at the front, giving less of an air dam/scoop effect and, more importantly, exposing even more of the header pipe, for even better cooling. I had to make some rather o.t.t. billet fittings to get it in that position, but it was worth it as the fittings are more substantial than the usual bent tin items and also allow much simpler removal and refitting of the pan.
That pan does look quite nice on your bike though, so maybe you should persevere ??

Also, I've just spotted the orange airbrush fade on your carbon front mudguard. I quite like that.

bluestoesonnose
22-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi Utopia,
Many thanks for the comments. Was / am going to do the same fade on the belly pan if / when I fit it.

Going to place the pan on DSC and see if anyone wants it, if not I'll chop it about

Funkatronic
22-07-2013, 01:40 PM
hiya

sorry forgot to respond on that, the QD decat would not fit your bike, it was only for S2r1000

i thought this quat d pipe was designed to fit both s2r1000 and s2r800/s4r as the horizontal header pipe looked like it was an adjustable design .apparently this is not the case, apologies.

hope you flog it and get what you want, if i see any decat pipes to fit your bike i will send you a PM

bluestoesonnose
22-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi Funkatronic,
Many thanks for this, de-cat pipes would sort a few issues out. I'll see how it all goes on the DSC site.

Cheers
Blues

DrD
22-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Some decat pipes new at:http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/ST_Decat_pipe_DUCATI_Monster_S4R_1000_ie_0306--product--2980.html
Not cheap!

bluestoesonnose
22-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Many thanks, they're about the same cost as I can get a set made for which I know will fit and won't get inthe way of my oil filter and sump plug. The ones I can get made will also be 2mm wall thickness tube, spring clamps etc etc