PDA

View Full Version : insurance...again

dukiwi
09-01-2004, 11:01 AM
hi,

some time back i asked about insurance. some bloody good advice i got too. unfortunately, all my old threads are now gone and i didn't write down the suggested companies. can anyone suggest a good insurance broker for a guy with no garage...or experience...or ncb?

i've just rung around 5 insurers from out of the back of "bike" magazine...carol nash, bennetts etc. the results were grim. i have no garage, but can park the bike off the road through my gate and behind a small wall, chained to a steel post....but everyone has said "if it's in london and it ain't in a garage, then that's all we care about". so the cheapest that a newbie guy like me can get fully comp on a new ('04) m620ie is £1400. looks like my dream of owning a duke proving impossible to fulfill.

cheers all,
rich

NattyBoy
09-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Right, now ive picked myself of the floor :eek: :eek: ..

Your upagainst it with all that criteria. Have you considered getting an older 600 worth about 2k and insuring it third party to start off with ??

I could p**s you off, and tell you that to insure my 888 and monster, fully comp, with £250 xs is £262 a year, but I wont..!!!;) .

Anyway, like you I phoned all the usual suspects, and low & behold, the last call I made (it was a tiny advert) was to Laxtons. Ive been with them now for 3 years. There service is superb (made a claim for my written off 916 and they coughed up quick style), and they are by far the cheapest ive found. There also a family run outfit which might explain the service.

Give steve a bell on 0870 444 6365 and good luck. Also, why dont you PM Bluefoot, as he lives in London area (I think he leaves his bike outside as well)...he might be able to give you a few pointers..

Cheers
Nat

dukiwi
09-01-2004, 11:47 AM
cheers nat...thanks for the tip. i had already called them and they can't compete against the best quote i have had at £1400 aparently.

i did have my heart set on a new one, as i want to be able to ride in the winter without worrying about any card icing, and i want a general level of reliability through the colder months.

1400 quid. balls.

cheers...again,
rich

CK & AK
09-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Do you have a relative outside the smoke, where you can register the bike c/o that address? You will have to do the log book with DVLA.
Mate of ours does exactly that - and has her bike c/o her mums addy - in Devon. Saved herself £1K the first year!!
Dont say I recco'd it

Could also try the ducati insurance people - will dig out their number later 4 u.

Also H & R in Aberdeen are very good for New & young riders

C

Pedro
09-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Try www.insuremyducati.co.uk

saved me many pennies!!

Pedro

NattyBoy
09-01-2004, 12:18 PM
No worries Rich..might be telling you something you already know here but I think you can have carb heaters retro fitted ??

If £1400 is the best you can get..I would just insure it TPFT. Youll probably find the excess is £300 at least, and if (god forbid) you did have a spill, monsters seem to crash well & cheaply (if there is such a thing !?) Assuming TPFT was about, say £500, youve got a £1200 buffer for any damage, and you wouldnt lose your NCB..just a thought mate.

If youve got your heart set on it so it. You wont regret and you can start mixing with us reprobates then !!!!

Nat

Richard_S
09-01-2004, 12:35 PM
I bought a new 620sie in oct. Being 22 and a new biker (i did direct access so no history on two wheels) I was in the same boat. I ended up paying £1200 with ducati ins is which high but its a good policy with all the extras. When I consider the quotes of 3/4k that I got on most 600's it dididn't seem so bad. Choice here is whether you want a new one enough to pay for it. I can honesty say though that having a virgin bike is as good as a having a virgin Italian. You shouldn't but its just soo much fun.

Melnie Mouse
09-01-2004, 12:47 PM
H&R, MCE, unusual bennets no good for you, but definately try H&R and of course the ducati one... you can also buy a metal garage from eurosecure that will save you loads, insurance approved contact 01226 246 999, it is quite expensive but they're very good and virtually bullet proof to theives.. good luck

dukiwi
09-01-2004, 01:27 PM
thanks to everyone for all help. much appreciated.

i was surprised at bennetts too. a mate of mine (we did our DAS together) just got his cover note from them...he's in the same boat....ie: spent 5000 on a brand new hornet 600...parked off the road...no experience...new license....got fully comp for 800 quid, whereas bennetts will only do me TPFT for that price, 1400 all up. And the hornet is NU12 and the monster 620ie is listed as NU10. odd.

i may just look at TPFT after all. i wouldn't claim on anything under a grand i don;t think, as i just want a years riding behind me to get a NCB going. is just having TPFT really stupid?

Ade
09-01-2004, 01:55 PM
A Plan ins brokers
Farnham 01252 725725

Richard_S
09-01-2004, 03:17 PM
I had an off in Dec. Not my fault and damage was only minor cosemtics (scracthes etc) However the bill for putting it all right (back to perfect at a proper dealer) came to £2800. Plus a grand on my kit. Ive learnt that even the smallest spill (in my case between 15-20mph) is expensive where ducati is concerned. If your buying new you'd be mad to only get TPFT (IMO)

Richard_S
09-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Everyone told me that in the first few weeks/months of riding id have some sort of tarmac experience. Now I have Im glad I got a solid fully comp policy ; to coin a phrase its not you but every other tw*t on the road! If you want a new one you'll want it 100% again should the worst happen. £1000 doesn't go to far when it comes to new parts (the voice of recent experience!!!!)

gary tompkins
09-01-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm with H&R Ins and my fully comp policy cost me £358 on my 900ie last year. Bikes garaged and a 52 plate, and was for a 39 year old with 8 yrs NCB and a clean licence. This beat my previous best quote (including Carole Nash) by around £90. Hopefully I won't have a shock when my renewal drops through the door in March :rolleyes:

Julie
09-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Pedro
Try www.insuremyducati.co.uk

saved me many pennies!!

Pedro

and they dont mind you having cans

dukiwi
09-01-2004, 04:12 PM
don't mind the cans? sold.

tthey quoted me 1k for the fully comp...thats 400 squid less than the next guy. sweet.

thanks all. you guys saved my wallet.

nice.

dukiwi
09-01-2004, 04:14 PM
oh...and one guy told me that 70% of the premium was because i live in london. nasty.

gallardo
30-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Checked the website. Can't find a phone number. I would rather give them a call. Bloody tedious the filling up. Anyone's got it?

By the way, as my CBR6 was stolen by a lowprofile live scum, now insurance would charge me double!! Makes you feel like it is your fault!

Would you guys tell the insurance people or just keep it quiet? :cool:

dukiwi
30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
i went for Ducati Insurance in the end. 900 pounds fully comp and i can ride any other bike with third party cover.

i just added a vespa T5 to the policy for another 40 quid.

COR
30-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Have you tried Hastings Direct? I've been with them on and off for quite a few years now with bike and car (not under the same policy). On a couple of occasions I've stayed with them at renewal time as their quotes came out cheapest.

A further word of advice, check your household insurance policy for protection for your kit. Most bike policies don't cover you unless you specifically ask and pay for it. My contents cover covers me for items away from the home (worldwide) up to the value of £3,000 (max £1,500 per item) and includes clothing - that's me bike gear then!

Corsepilot
09-07-2004, 07:30 AM
Have you tried Hastings Direct?

Wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole........ :twisted:

My M750Corse was insured with them via Carole Nash. Bike was niked from my locked garage in May, just got a derisery cheque thru' post yesterday for £3570.....that's less than half of what the bikes stands me in at :(
Bike was a late 2001 Dark but with special Corse paint job (incl belly pan and seat cowl etc) from new by Chris Clarke MC, fitted high level sils, never riden in wet, still as new with only 1700 miles on clock.......

You think you pay insurance to protect you from thieving low lifes, then you find out later the so called insurance company is just as big a bunch of thieves... :mad:

Scotty
09-07-2004, 01:50 PM
buy a garden shed to put it in that counts a a garage if you lock the door with some insurance companyes mine at least errm CIA .
can get my bike in a 5'x7' shed though a slight modification was required to the door the difference in insurance might pay for the shed

pete
09-07-2004, 03:44 PM
If £1400 is the best you can get..I would just insure it TPFT. Youll probably find the excess is £300 at least, and if (god forbid) you did have a spill, monsters seem to crash well & cheaply (if there is such a thing !?) Assuming TPFT was about, say £500, youve got a £1200 buffer for any damage, and you wouldnt lose your NCB..just a thought mate.

I hope they crash more cheaply than they fall over ;)
When my 620 got knocked off it's stand last year the bill
was an eye popping 1790.19 :eek: And that didn't include
the clocks which had to be changed as well as they were reading 20mph too slow when it came back (obviously road
testing isn't the dealers stong point) :rolleyes:

Putting up with the obligitary dent in the left hand side of the
tank would save you around 800 mind you, and to be perfectly
honest mine would have been roadworthy with a new clutch lever, bars, mirror and indicator - plus a bit of crowbaring to straighten the exhaust. But if you want to put it back to pristine, then it costs....

All done direct with third party's insurance btw, the only hassle I had was with my own insurance company who decided to drop my ncb even though it didn't cost them a penny :mad: (reinstated after some strong words)

Little Monster
09-07-2004, 08:24 PM
please get the metal garage thingy that melnie mouse recommends. the insurance is high for a reason. you can't ever have enough security and you are gonna LOVE this monster so much you'll cry like a baby if it gets nicked. reducing the insurance is a bonus. :eek:

cmmolloy1
14-07-2004, 10:03 PM
i have found a site called www.offduty.co.uk

now yes I am a cop but follow the links for motorcycle insurance and it is by far and away the cheapest company i can get ins with. £333 tpft for me, 27 with no ncb. try em.

chris

martin b
19-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Just got my renewal form from mcedwards 137 pounds and thats with race cans and 3 points plus me little scooter .excess is 300.
i now i dont live in london but they seem to be prtty good .
telle 0871 222 7920 web www.insurance.com

hope it helps anyone.

martin b

farl
19-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Go for fully comp. Had my 620 for 2 days, I'd done 26miles when some prat reversed into it knocking it over. Fortunately I wasn't on it, the bike was parked up in a bike space. I was across the road admiring it!! Despite my pegging it across the road it hit the deck. Took DLS months to get a tank that wasn't already dented and it cost the blokes insurance over £1650. Still I expect he'll look in his mirrors in the future! :/