PDA

View Full Version : M750 Bigger Oil Cooler

bluestoesonnose
13-07-2013, 05:49 AM
As I can't ride for the foreseeable future, I've been doing a lot of reading (yeah yeah yeah I know!).

Anyways I keep reading that cooling on the air cooled Monsters is marginal at best.

Ok the UK doesn't have the warmest weather on the planet but is it worth considering a larger oil cooler for an M750?

Cheers

utopia
13-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Dunno, but I guess its hard to know exactly what is meant by a statement like that these days, ie is the cooling marginal compared to other, modern, watercooled bikes (which is only natural), or is it marginal for an air-cooled one ...?
I did fit airscoops to mine, but to be honest, although I hoped for slightly improved rear cylinder cooling, it was for the looks as much as anything. Then I found that, looking down the air passage, all I could see was the tuna-can fuel pump slap bang in the airsteam, which looked like it wouldn't help things at all. I did ponder removing the pump and fitting one of the tanks with an internal fuel pump, but it was a lot of hassle so I haven't bothered.
Mine used to get very hot when waiting at traffic lights etc on a hot summer day, when I had a large bellypan on it, which enclosed the lower exhaust header. Its a lot better now that I've changed it for a smaller, Monza style pan. I still sometimes kill the engine if I anticipate a long wait at the lights though.
I wonder whether the cooler would be more efficient if it was sprayed matt black ?

Yorkie
13-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Easily done, a 999/749 oil cooler can fit, just relocate your current mounting bracket to the lower position and plug the cooler in. I am doing this to my 900 because it looks good as well as being practical.

Or you could get second 750,900 oil cooler and link it in.

Yorkie

bluestoesonnose
13-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi Yorkie,
You mean one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-OEM-2003-2007-749-999-OIL-COOLER-LINES-clean-/121140434557?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3488567d

Can you post some pictures once you've installed yours?

Cheers

Yorkie
13-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Will do, I managed to get mine for about £50 and lines were about £20 so that's about a fair price.

Yorkie

gary tompkins
13-07-2013, 03:18 PM
I fitted a bigger MOCAL 13 row cooler to the trike. Now holds an extra 1/2 litre of oil and made a huge difference to cooling. I also fitted a small fan as a back up for run to Italy in 2010, and with temperatures in the mid 30's I'm really glad I did. Even the guy's with water cooled monsters were struggling in that heat.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6736627233_76d03d228f_z.jpg

Dukedesmo
13-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Doubt it's really necessary for a 750? remember these bikes biggest market was Italy and often as a town bike/commuter so should be able to deal with the heat also if you use it in the winter then it maybe too cold? (the ideal solution is of course water-cooling)

That said, I reckon mine runs too hot. I'd like to see oil/head temperatures of around 85 degrees on the open road but it runs more like 95+ and soon reaches 120 if in traffic, I do have a second cooler but not fitted it as I don't have the right hose setup, but I would prefer a more efficient single cooler from an aesthetic point of view.

Would be interested in a close-up of the bigger Mocal cooler, specifically with regards to how far it sticks out the sides.

utopia
13-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I kinda like the fan idea, and was loosely pondering it myself. Though it does make things more complicated and less tidy.
Any pics ?
And the bigger capacity cooler sounds particularly good, as it gives both more oil and greater cooling capacity.
Then again, would all this extra cooling cause more oil emulsification on short winter runs ? I guess you could blank part of the rad off with tape though.

jerry
14-07-2013, 04:32 AM
lots of air cooled Ducatis and HDs and other bike running around with no cooling probems in thailand and its always more than 33c here ,,,, dont worry but change the oil more often in hot weather .

Yorkie
22-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Bought myself a diy-ish conversion kit so I can fit the 999 oil cooler:

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a615/Yorkie13/Ducati%20Monster/photo7_zps9fafdf90.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Yorkie13/media/Ducati%20Monster/photo7_zps9fafdf90.jpg.html)

So if it all goes well this will be a little bit tidier tomorrow:

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a615/Yorkie13/Ducati%20Monster/DSC_01701_zps8b047132.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Yorkie13/media/Ducati%20Monster/DSC_01701_zps8b047132.jpg.html)

Yorkie

Mr Gazza
22-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Surely any increase in cooler size is academic if it is not thermosaticly controlled, same would go for a cooling fan I would think.
Can you get thermostats that work in oil?

I was thinking of painting my oil cooler black some time in the future, and fabricating some sort of shiney end caps for it, in ally or stainless.

Yorkie
22-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Surely any increase in cooler size is academic if it is not thermosaticly controlled, same would go for a cooling fan I would think.
Can you get thermostats that work in oil?

I was thinking of painting my oil cooler black some time in the future, and fabricating some sort of shiney end caps for it, in ally or stainless.

Better cooling I think, but in reality it is purely ascetics I think it will look a lot better and I can junk the carb warming pipe bits.

Yorkie

utopia
22-11-2013, 05:49 PM
The best looking set-up I've seen had the oil cooler up amongst the frame tubes, where the airbox used to be.
Looked really clean, though I've no idea how well it worked.
I notice that you have a suitable space available.

I'm almost finding myself wondering whether such a mod would warm the inlet air, helping to reduce winter carb icing ....but probably also lowering power slightly ...?

Yorkie
22-11-2013, 06:14 PM
The best looking set-up I've seen had the oil cooler up amongst the frame tubes, where the airbox used to be.
Looked really clean, though I've no idea how well it worked.
I notice that you have a suitable space available.

I'm almost finding myself wondering whether such a mod would warm the inlet air, helping to reduce winter carb icing ....but probably also lowering power slightly ...?

I'm doing this with my SS project, it is just trying to find out where to route the oil pipes so it looks tidy.

With the Monster it has been 14 years in development with me so just another thing I am trying.

Yorkie

slob
22-11-2013, 07:37 PM
1098 jobbie is about 30% larger, as others have said, you could use the original as well.
http://www.thelasturl.net/m1000/cooler.jpg

No thermostats involved, all the oil goes round the cooler(s) regardless, although there is a bypass valve in case of a blockage.

ps Yorkie, I'm guessing those are 'torques' unions, wrap them in tape before tightening up, they're soft and very easy to damage.

Yorkie
22-11-2013, 08:09 PM
ps Yorkie, I'm guessing those are 'torques' unions, wrap them in tape before tightening up, they're soft and very easy to damage.

Rob,

I'm not sure, cheers for the good advice mate.

Yorkie

slob
22-11-2013, 08:15 PM
The blurb that came with my black anodized ones (looked very similar to yours) said tighten up until your thumbnail makes a suitable feeler guage and even my quality AF spanners were starting to slip on them by then.

Nickj
22-11-2013, 09:19 PM
the ideal solution is of course water-cooling

Not exactly an easy retro fit but ten you could go for simple water cooling ... ride in the rain

Must admit mine does get fair warm even with the temperature around freezing it's still nice and hot after a spirited run to work.

He11cat
23-11-2013, 01:07 AM
I have an ss cooler on the bay :(