PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Park ...meeting on wed. to decide its future.

utopia
08-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Copied from another forum.......

Mallory Park needs YOU!

WEDNESDAY 10th July is decision day for the future of Mallory Park and the circuit is calling on all its supporters to come along to Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council to show their support and save the track from closure.

The Council is reviewing whether to make Mallory Park reduce its operations to just 92 days per year - forcing the circuit operators BARC to shut the facility as it will not be financially viable.

Mallory Park has already reduced its operations by shutting down motocross, stopping drifting and offering to change track day times and maximum number of vehicles on track. It has also ordered a noise expert to provide an independent report and recommendations on how the track can reduce noise to acceptable levels for residents - in agreement with the Council. The Council has however posted its recommendation to reduce use to 92 days per year without taking this into account.

A further independent report into the financial impact that closing the circuit will have on the local economy was also commissioned and totally ignored, the Council making its recommendations without taking into account the livelihoods of the people working with and alongside the circuit who now face financial ruin - a real human cost.

The report states that the circuit brings more than £10million revenue into the local economy and is responsible for creating145 full time jobs.

Mallory Park General Manager John Ward said: "The Council is deciding on the future of Mallory Park and if they agree to reduce the days to 92 then the circuit is finished and will shut down. The 145 jobs and £10million+ benefit to the local economy will be lost, along with a historic motor racing circuit.

"The future of the circuit is now in the hands of the HBBC Councillors. We need them to understand we are working to reduce noise and improve life for residents and are committed to being good neighbours. Shutting the circuit is not the right choice. We need as many supporters as possible to join us on the 10th and make that point - Mallory Park is an important contributor and member of the local community."

The Council Meeting is Public. It starts at 1830 in the Council Chamber (the De Montfort Suite) at the address below:

Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council
Hinckley Hub
Rugby Road
Hinckley
Leicestershire
LE10 0FR

Quote .

I'll be going along to the meeting.

DrD
08-07-2013, 06:29 PM
epetition at: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46739

Flip
08-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Love Mallory and would be a shame to see it go (they shut the Pub some time ago!!)....
So much history there...Sheene & Roberts epic battle..Trans-Atlantic Races...Festival of a 1000 Bikes along with a couple of UKMOC Monster track days and even little ol' me racing round the place a couple of times.

Seriously, it's happening all over- noise limits getting stricter at so many circuits, MSV being one of the most stringent enforcers- so that's Brands, Cadwell and Snetterton all under a very tight noise meter for both track days and race days.

Then there's the likes of Goodwood, on the outside a bit of a rich persons playground (don't get me wrong- I love the Festival and Revival) but in reality if it wasn't for the complaints and the local councils' enforcement there would be so much more going on there. All this means that on the few occasions there are track days they are around £240 for a day, only five vehicles out at a time and 15 minute sessions resulting in not very much time at all. No more 'proper' test days and no competitive meetings.

Without support of the smaller circuits it doesn't take many local complaints to get he councillors thinking about their voting public to side with them and put things in motion to put pressure on that they cannot afford to oppose.

So if you are a fan of motorsport of whatever class, go along support the circuits because between the councils and the Eco Warriors they may not be around for ever!!

scrapps
09-07-2013, 11:35 AM
This makes my blood boil :Furious::Furious:

utopia
09-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Yes, I'd be gutted to see Mallory close.
As you say, so much history there, and I was there for a lot of it.....
John Cooper vs Agostini 1971 race of the year. ....I was stood at the esses and lost my voice.
Sheene, as a kid on his 125 Suzuki.
Saarinen, Roberts, Smart, Haslam, Read.
Hailwood in his comeback year.
Many Transatlantic Trophies.
Spotted George Harrison in the paddock one year.
Those evil 2-stroke 750 Kawasakis, and the equally wicked Yvon Duhamel.
Vast throngs of studded and badged greasers hanging over the hairpin fence creating a crucible of noise.
The elbow banking solid with spectators.
Sidecar action from the likes of Vincent, Fath, Biland and the delightfully scruffy Hanks clan.
And yes ..the pub.

It would be easy to blame local residents for objecting to something which has been established for so long, and to point out that most of them would have moved to the local village in full knowledge of the situation.
But times change, and I expect that their most valid objection would be that there is much more frequent use of the circuit these days, for trackdays and the like, which seem to have become essential for the financial survival of racetracks nowadays.
In this respect, we would perhaps all be well advised to respect sensible noise limits imposed on trackdays. ....just the sensible ones mind.
Then again, Mallory does lie within a natural hollow, and there has been fairly extensive earth banking to contain the noise in recent years.

The worst thing that could happen would be that the wrong kind of politics should see a muddled decision made by ill advised councillors, influenced by an overly powerful local minority, leading to the closure of the circuit.
In the face of such possibility, Mallory does need to be seen to have widespread support to justify its case for survival, and so if you're reasonably local, its worth showing up.

jonzi
09-07-2013, 03:26 PM
This has been floating about loads of different forums and I think the rub was that the Mallory owners allowed MX days and drifting, didn't give a toot about the noises limits and didn't for years.

Now they are trying to back track.

They have cut the MX and drifting and are strict on the noise, but it's quite possibly too late.

Get a mallory day in before it shuts.