PDA

View Full Version : Removing seat with a broken lock

ChrisC2925
07-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Anybody got an idea how to remove a seat with a broken lock? Managed to get it off a couple of times when I didn't need to, but now it won't budge.

Looks like the previous owner broke the plastic surround when he fitted a set of termis, so the whole thing just wobbles with or without the key in it.

Rally
07-07-2013, 11:52 AM
I had that problem on an S4Rs once. I was told that the only way was to bent it to undo the front from under the tank, then spin it around so that the catch is forced by the seat pin to open more and release the seat as the seat pin bit that latches now is not against the latch. It worked for me, the hardest bit being bending the plastic seat base to release the front from under the tank.
Do you have a plastic seat base as well though? Good luck.

ChrisC2925
07-07-2013, 12:00 PM
It's a Sargent seat, I can't remember what it's like underneath

crust
07-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Have a look underneath, the lock pulls a cable, you can pull the cable with long nose pliers.

I ditched the lock, cable and brackets, I have a loop of safety wire hooked around the plastic catch to pull it from the other side.

ChrisC2925
07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Saw the cable & tried get a small screwdriver in to push it, never thought to try pulling! Thanks for that I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Wildfire
10-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Yep, just pull the cable from the non-lock side. Should come off quite easily, you may need some long pliers or a wire hook (read coat hanger).