PDA

View Full Version : Clattering sound on my 696

turbohobbit
19-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Question for you good folks which may be a noob fail, not sure... My 62 reg 696 has developed something a clattering sound. When underway the noise is there, but it's not that noticeable. However, when I come to a stop, put the bike into neutral, and release the clutch lever it is considerably louder. The best way I can describe it is a cross between a diesel car engine idling and a spoon being clattered around a tin mug. Is this something to be concerned about or is this just "Ducati Sound".

For info, the bike has done 1075 miles. I bought it from the dealer with 216 miles on the clock, and they did the 600 mile running in service before I collected it (it was more than 6 months old by then). I have also started using VPower petrol in it, although I'm not sure that that should be the cause of anything!

Cheers muchly.

Dukedesmo
19-06-2013, 09:06 PM
The best way I can describe it is a cross between a diesel car engine idling and a spoon being clattered around a tin mug. Is this something to be concerned about or is this just "Ducati Sound".

It's the "Ducati Sound" for a dry clutch bike, however I believe the 696 has a wet clutch so definitely not right...

Albie
19-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Its not when riding it at low revs and the sound of chain slapping like a tick tick. If so drop a tooth on the front sprocket. Otherwise not sure as wet clutch. Obvious thing check nuts and bolts and clearances

Nickj
20-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Just for fun, when the motors cold give the front exhaust header a waggle. I know, it won't shouldn't move but if it does it'll make that kind of noise.
LOL Don't ask how I know!!

Pomp1
21-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Definitely not a good sound. Does it change from hot/cold? As Nickj says maybe something innocent as a loose part, but worth investigating before losing it down the road..

Qba
21-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Had a similar problem/sympthoms with my s2r (wet clutch).
At the end had to change the clutch basket as one of the pockets with the spring busted into pieces. Not sure if there were some improvements done in newer models.
Just a thought.

DrD
21-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Is the bike still under warranty - if so get it back there.

turbohobbit
21-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys. It seems to be more when the engine is warm - I certainly notice it further into my commute. To be clear, I think the noise is more of a diesel-like clacking than a metallic clinking (if you follow me). I'll waggle a few bits before I mount up tonight.

It is still under warranty - I still have 14 months of the manufacturer's warranty left and I only bought it 6 weeks ago so I'd be mortified if the dealer got all shirty with me. As the dealer runs a workshop booking switchboard service and it may be difficult to explain everything to the girls on the other end of the line, I think I'll ride it in on Monday (the dealer is slap bang on my commuter route) and ask them to have a listen before I book anything in. The main sales fella there has years of Ducati experience apparently so I'd like to think he'll be able to say if something's up...

I'll let you know how this all pans out.

Musty
21-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Mine does something similar from time to time when it gets hot, and only in the summer.

It depends how loud you are talking really. Mine has done that since I've had it, almost 2 years and its been to Rosso for 2 services and nothing ever detected. Probably normal for a 696, but worth getting it checked to be sure.

turbohobbit
22-06-2013, 03:43 PM
It's not deafening but it is noticable - but that's probably because I'm sat right over the source of the noise. It does seem that the noise disappears - or at least lessens - when I pull in the clutch lever.

PDS
22-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I think the reality is your bike wants to be a real old school ducati monster, you know the kind with a dry clutch :)

But sensible advice is get back to the dealers and get it sorted, you have paid a premium for a near new bike with basically no miles on,

polecatpete
27-06-2013, 06:35 PM
I can confirm my 696 does make a similar sound but its definitely not loud, just something I notice from time to time depending on whether the bike wants to go out or not!

Do you notice any difference with the fuel? I just use the regular unleaded but it pops and bangs like nothing I've had before! The dealer said it was normal but I was wondering whether the vpower might reduce it?

turbohobbit
13-07-2013, 06:49 AM
(Sorry, been on holiday)

I haven't had a chance to get her back to the dealer yet. I have started using VPower and the performance / MPG is better, but I'm not sure if it's had any effect on the clattering. Kinda reassured yours makes a similar sound, PCP!