PDA

View Full Version : Monster Fever..!!!

Mr Gazza
29-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Hello all..

At last a place to talk Monster.

I just found this site, It's like a breath of fresh air.

Lots of folk on here in Norfolk aswell, I notice. Very encouraging.

Sadly I do not yet have a Monster again. My 40th bike was a 1998 M900, three years old when I got it, and immaculate.

Most definatly the best Bike I ever had, and I had some gems too. Moto Morini 31/2, Ducati 750ss, lots of Bonnies and Ajays and Matchlesses.

The current bike (No41) is a Triumph Sprint ST 955i...God it's awful, I got side tracked whilst looking for a Trident T160V..As soon as I sell it I will be hunting a Monster down.!

There seem to be a lot more Monster variants now, since I was in the picture. I notice that they have lost the hoop from swinging arm to rear shock rocker, and gained a frame tube above the footrest hanger. Lots of different engine sizes too, and restyled clutch covers and stuff. I will do my best to catch up.:dunce:

It's the "early" Monster that I like the look of and the 900 engine is my favorite, although I did ride a "916" Monster when they came out and I liked it a LOT, except the engine was not such eye candy as the 900.

I will be looking for a cheapie or even a Cat C or D salvage bike, as cash is somwhat of an issue, and any way I like a challenge...Most of my bikes have been completly or patialy re-built, I have a few subtle styling ideas and access to a 3D CNC router..!!:thumbsup:
I have a vague idea that an ST2 would make a half decent Monster, but not too sure about that big ugly rad up the front and that plumbing....would it count among these ranks.?

Here's hoping to be telling you all about my new Monster very soon (any one want a Triumph Sprint???:chuckle:)

Cheers

Gazza

PhilH67
29-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Ere what this complaining about a ruddy great rad at the front, I've got an S4R which has one of those.... Keeps the motor cool though

chris_s2r
29-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the forum Gazza. Hope you will find a Monster you want and get it up to scratch :cool:

Blah blah
29-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Ere what this complaining about a ruddy great rad at the front, I've got an S4R which has one of those....

Perhaps he's complaining about it because of the very fact that it's got a bleedin hooooge rad at the front... :mand:

Oh, and hellooooo

Black Bob
29-05-2013, 09:47 PM
ST2 - wasn't that air-cooled?

Mr Gazza
29-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Ha ha...

Nothing agianst liquid cooling at all, and I just love the SR4..(You lucky bugger...!:mand:)

I just have a problem with the big ol' rad blocking my view of that loverly engine.
I'm an old fasioned country boy you see,:wallace: used to old fasioned air cooled motorbikes.
I like to see the metal and the engineering. The two valve 900 lump is nice to look at, as well as making bellisimo music and thundering me down the road with pleasant ease.

There is no doubt that liquid cooled motors run much better in all conditions and last longer, but it's such a job to make a naked bike look good with a rad on board....You can't exactly hide them up.!

Ah well, we'll see what comes up. If a cheap ST2 comes my way, I will get to grips with the styling and see what I can do with the rad.

Thanks for the welcome chaps......No takers for a Sprint then?:banghead:

Cheers

Gazza

Mr Gazza
29-05-2013, 10:07 PM
All the ST2s that I have encountered have been water cooled, Bob.

It is, I understand, derived from the Paso engine, which, if I am correct, was Ducatis first water cooled bike. (might well be wrong there..)

Cheers

Gazza

Dirty
29-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Welcome. Certainly sounds like you have found the right place and we have gained a CNC machine oh I mean a lovely new member ;)

Yes apparently there are bikes around that have a bloody great ugly rad on the front and are also called monsters. I have even heard a rumour that some of them are not even yellow! :)

Mr Gazza
30-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Oh Gawd..!! I didn't mean to start a war about whether Rads were cool or not:twak:

What a terrible pun!!

Thanks for the welcome Dirty, and regarding the CNC router. YES. no reason why we can't all have a play on it.

It will require a CAD drawing to make pretty much whatever you want. Preferably a "Solidworks" drawing for 3D stuff. This is doable at my end if enough information is provided. Nothing we can't achieve with a few emails where ever you are in the world.
No reason why an MDF item could not be made first to try on your bike before commiting to alloy (or whatever)

It's all very new at the moment, and has not been tried out with metal yet, to my knowledge.But it should be no problem at all, everything can be precisely controlled, and we know all the correct feed speeds for Alloy ect.
Also not sure at the moment what the charge rates will be ....But we are talking mates rates here.

You can have a butchers at it here..and you will gather that my other hobby is to do with model aeroplanes.:D

http://greenairdesigns.com/gadejcforum/index.php?topic=276.0

Cheers

Gazza

cactus
30-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Hi and welcome, I too am a fan of the 900 engine. I have a 900ie and it's a stormer. :yoparty: hope you get yourself back on one soon.

Dirty
30-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Oh the rad or not to rad debate has been circulating for ages :woot: It can get heated :mand: but we tend to keep a cap on it :cry:

Have to say the machine looks impressive, however I'm now more interested in finding out how to attach a couple of jets to my bike :mand:

Mr Gazza
31-05-2013, 05:13 PM
.............And to think I felt genuinely bad about my little pun-ette:chuckle:

Yup....We could sort you out a little turbine for a couple of grand, and give you all of 18lbs of thrust..:look:....Best stick to a nice four stroke V twin lump I think. :D

Thanks Cactus....I wonder if you can tell me if the injection 900s still suffer icing like the carb models.?
I thought the oil fed carb warmer was a gimmick when I first saw it, but I actually used it a few times as it really did work in cool humid conditions.

I am thinking maybe an injection model would be simpler than carbs. After my first experience with injectors on the Triumph...You just plug and play..!

Cheers

Gazza

cactus
31-05-2013, 10:48 PM
No, no problems with starting in the cold and the fuel injection smooths out the engine at low revs, so none of that lumpiness when trundling along in city traffic. I have a performance ECU and air filter fitted along with carbon Remus cans. Totally sweet. :D

He11cat
01-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Just do not ask where does the Tax disc go !!! Lol

Blah blah
01-06-2013, 07:08 AM
.............And to think I felt genuinely bad about my little pun-ette:chuckle:

Careful, don't want to get yourself into hot water...:D

Black Bob
01-06-2013, 09:11 AM
All the ST2s that I have encountered have been water cooled, Bob.

It is, I understand, derived from the Paso engine, which, if I am correct, was Ducatis first water cooled bike. (might well be wrong there..)

Cheers

Gazza

Well I'm buggered. I'd always assumed it was the 900Ss motor. Most humble apologies. In my defence it is a bike I never paid much attention to.

Unforgivable error though. :look:

Mr Gazza
01-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Well I'm buggered. I'd always assumed it was the 900Ss motor. Most humble apologies. In my defence it is a bike I never paid much attention to.

Unforgivable error though. :look:

Totally forgivable as it happens dear boy.

I went and looked at an ST4 this morning, with a view to monsterizing it. But my spanners are safe for the moment.

The ST4 (Sports tourer, now there's a contradiction) is much the same as the ST2 but uses the 4 valve engine derived from the 916.
You couldn't get further from the Monster philosophy using the same frame..!!

A Monster is, in my opinon, an elegant, light, simple motorcycle, beautifuly executed and excelling in all it's functions. :hail:

The ST series is a little know side effect of Monster Fever and should be ignored..!

BTW. I wouldn't be too suprised to learn that there was a 900 engined version of the ST at one time.

Cheers

Gazza

Mr Gazza
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
No, no problems with starting in the cold and the fuel injection smooths out the engine at low revs, so none of that lumpiness when trundling along in city traffic. I have a performance ECU and air filter fitted along with carbon Remus cans. Totally sweet. :D

That is very good to hear, Cactus.

My carb Monster never suffered from cold start issues. The icing thing manifested when shutting off to near idling speeds or to tickover. It would wheeze and spit for a bit and somtimes stall.
The ice would usually clear from the heat of the stopped engine in time for an immediate re-start....At which point it is sensible to turn the tap and put the oil round the carbs.;)

Bizarrely this did not happen in freezing conditions, but as it says in the manual, in conditions of high relative humidity...And you could develop a feel for that, and pre-empt use of the warmer.

As for the lumpiness...Well most of my 40 odd bikes have been fairly unsophisticated singles or twins so I am used to a bit of lumpiness...and quite like it as it happens...But bring on the injectors:D

Cheers

Gazza