PDA

View Full Version : Siezed M9OO Oil Filter

Bert Salomon
05-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to get a siezed oil filter off my recently purchased M900?

I have broken two oil filter tool straps and twisted and ripped open the filter due to the force i put through it to try & get the filter to spin off but no luck - the filter just won't budge.

The bike is six years old, immaculate, and has only done 2800 miles (never been serviced) so i think this problem is caused by the original filter having six full years to sieze itself to the engine block.

Thanks.

superlight3
05-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi there.

This is a more common problem than most would like to think. :eek:

If the outer case is totally destroyed then best to strip away as much as possible and get access to the upper cover, then try and bodge a tool to un-do the filter.

Else, if there's something left of the filter case then puntch a screwdriver through the filter and very slowly turn the filter anti-clockwise to try and release it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Lee.

gary tompkins
05-01-2004, 09:38 PM
I know this might sound like a daft suggestion, but are you sure you are turning it the right way. When your working upside down its easier to get wrong than you think - I speak from personal experience :rolleyes:

It might also help if you can get some heat (carefully) into the crankcase, immediately above the filter. That could expand the alloy case away from the filter thread and free it off?

grunter
06-01-2004, 06:38 AM
i may have tool we made to undo filter
six pins up that fits into holes then welded on to socket?

grunter
06-01-2004, 07:15 PM
i got the thing 4 you

grunter
06-01-2004, 08:19 PM
two teeth missing but it will still work