PDA

View Full Version : Tank cover

Hellboydce
26-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I have snapped off the two clips on one half of my 696 tank cover whilst trying to slot it into an lower carbon fibre tank cover, is there any glue in the world that would be able to fit the two clips back onto the tank cover, something like tensol cement or some brand of contact adhesive or will they all break when pressure is applied whislt trying to put them back on the bike? Have put it up for sale in sale section but I do like it so much that I would ideally like to fix it. Cheers David

Pomp1
26-05-2013, 04:09 PM
I think 3M just started an online shop. Worth having a browse.

SunEye
26-05-2013, 05:11 PM
The best way I have found of repairing broken plastic is welding using a soldering iron. It's not the prettiest of fixes (just like welding metal), but you can rub it down afterwards to make it smooth.

I would suggest practicing on other broken plastic items before wielding a soldering iron near your tank panels.

The inside of the clocks on the ZRX1200R I used to have got quite broken. I welded them back together. I also need to do it to the broken headlight mounting bracket on my VW Polo - it saves buying a whole new headlight.

Nickj
26-05-2013, 05:34 PM
I think you can get tools rather like the ones that are used to stick liners into linoleum type stuff to weld, although yes you can do it with a soldering iron. It's helpfull to have a bit more plastic of the same kind you'r sticking back together so you can fill any gaps you inevtibaly leave.
The problem with plastics are that they don't glue well, some plastics respond well to glues that use an acid etch primer. Usually glues work by either bonding to surface roughness or melting the surface.
Tensol is good where you have a reasonable surface area to stick together.
For smaller things like you are looking at a gap filling superglue might work but for plastics you'd need to etch the surfaces you're joining first, a 5 to 9% hydroflouric gel would do it. Any gaps left after the initial glueing fill with a little superglue then drop a small ammount of baking soda onto it untill the surfaces are all level.

Hellboydce
26-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Cheers for all the advice, for time being I have put the original kit back on, the plain red (which is actually quite nice) but the previous owner must have cleaned it with rags as there are very light swirls and scratches on it, I have used a micro fibre cloth and some turtle wax polish and it does give it a shine but it shows up the faint marks from the use of a harsh cloth, so long story short, is there any premium polish that will bring it back to show room quality? There are also some stone chips, am I able to cover these up with a colour polish?