PDA

View Full Version : Home servicing a 2001 S4

LVC
15-05-2013, 12:56 PM
There's a strong chance that my local Ducati in Tours is closing down. Their sister garage in Angers has already closed and I don't fancy the new "Kawasaki/Yamaha/Triumph/Ducati" shop in Le Mans having a "play" with my baby.

So being that I've rebuilt most things from cars to bikes to jetskiis I'm seriously thinking about giving the old girl her much overdue service myself - I have the tools and time but lack the "done it before" knowledge.

She's not been used much over the last 2 years so needs "everything" doing (belts, plugs, etc. etc. etc.).

Not having done the S4 before I'm after pointers of what and where to buy parts (mail order obviously) and then what to do. I've found various tutorials on belt changes on the S4 but believe there's something about valve settings to do as well (maybe I'm wrong) so in short .......... HELP please :eyepopping:

utopia
15-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Can't speak for the 4-valvers, but I do my own valve clearances on my 2-valve M750.
Its daunting at first, but the Ducatitech videos are a good guide.
The main point to note is that, if you're only checking the valve clearances, there is little to fear as you won't be adjusting anything at that stage, so there's virtually nothing that can go wrong. ...and chances are they won't need any adjustment anyway as they're fairly stable once they've initially bedded in.
Hopefully, that takes a bit of the pressure off.

LVC
15-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks Utopia - happy to get stuck in just need to know what to do. The S4 aren't overly complicated but they are a bit different to the others I believe.

So list as it stands:

- Belts change
- Valve clearances check
- Plugs change
- Oil + Filter change
- Air filter - K&N - reverse blow through and re-lube
- Coolant change
- Brake fluid change
- Clutch fluid change
- ???

Despite not riding her I have been starting and allowing her to warm up with a gentle in 1st gear 20m run to rotate tyres and check brakes function etc. on a regular basis and the battery is always fully charged (Optimate), tyre pressures are good and tyres are OK.

matthuds
15-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Would love to have a go at the mechanical bits rather than just bolting on bits of carbon ;-)
Is daunting though, good understanding can be a great confidence booster, one day i will just get stuck in myself

Nickj
16-05-2013, 08:38 AM
K&Ns are a bit of a loose pack open weave fibre so I wouldn't reverse blow it, you can open up the fibres and either make a hole through or thin out the filter material. At best a run over with a vac to suck off the loose dead creatures.
Once it's soaked with degreaser (needs to be cotton friendly) and washed through under a tap it'll usually come up sparkly clean.

If you're flushing out the brake and clutch lines it's probably going to be easiest to get one of those systems that sucks out the fluid though from the slave end. I sometimes use a syringe and a bit of pipe, mostly I just bleed it through which is slower but works ok.

Should all be pretty straight forwards

LVC
16-05-2013, 08:44 AM

The K&N is actually pretty clean - should be bearing in mind the amount of miles I haven't done, lol but point taken regarding not blowing a hole in it.

I've been thinking about getting one of those brake kits that fit onto a compressor that suck things through - a mechanic friend has one and they're rather good and with the amount of bikes, cars and quads here it's probably a worth while investment.

I'll start checking out prices for belts and bits shortly - just waiting for payday.

LVC
16-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Ignore please, double post :(

jerry
16-05-2013, 06:26 PM
LVC I have an S4 in thailand and there is no way I can trust any thai mechanic to do a proper service so i do, all my own repairs and servicing I buy parts when in UK frommany sources Ebay, dealers and independants , i have my own shim kit from EMSDUC in USA and a carbtune and multimeter are also very important for TPS and Injector balancing , The S$ is not difficult to work on

ask me any questions whenerver

jerry

LVC
16-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Many thanks Jerry - I thought of you when I started this post :thumbsup:

I'd be really grateful if you suggest where I can buy/source the belts from, the rest I can probably figure out ;)

Marsh...
16-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Hi LVC, I have a parts catalogue for the s4, its really detailed for assembly purposes. Its a pdf file and I'm more than happy to send you a copy. Just pm me your email and I will send it to you. Jerry is the man for technical stuffs.

Regards Marsh

LVC
16-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks Marsh that's really kind of you. I've actually got the parts catalogue as well as the service manual and about 10 other pdf manuals and catalogues for the S4 - god knows where I got them from.

I've just printed out the 1st 90 pages of the Workshop manual and will be doing some bedtime reading starting tonight me thinks.

Pomp1
16-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Fuel filter should also be changed when doing service

LVC
17-05-2013, 07:32 AM
List up to date:

- Belts change
- Valve clearances check
- Plugs change
- Oil + Filter change
- Air filter - K&N - clean and re-lube
- Coolant change
- Brake fluid change
- Clutch fluid change
- Fuel filter
- ???

I found this (Clicky (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180820654002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)) bleed vacuum kit thingy on ebay - any good (I have the compressor already) ?

Pomp1
17-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Really good tool that one, not sure you'll be using it enough thought. Mind you could start doing service on your mates bikes :)
Check pads, spark plugs and bearings for any play as well

LVC
17-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks Pomp1, I've ordered the bleed kit. I've got 6 bikes here (soon to be 7) as well as 3 quads and 5 cars and as I do most of the servicing myself now I think it'll get used and as you say once the mates know I've got one .....

Pads are good and I'll change the plugs but will check bearings for wear as suggested.

LVC
26-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Right I've eventually managed to get around to getting things ready for the "big event" lol

I've got the belts (genuine Ducati from the dealer at 120€ for both), Iridium plugs are on their way.

Wanted to ask what's the current recommendation on oil ?

and also I've noticed that the small hose clips found next to the brake and clutch reservoirs are somewhat corroded - where can I get new ones from? I don't want to use fat jubilee clips just the same as the ones that are there but shiney rather than corroded.

gary tompkins
27-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Oil strainer in crankcase may need cleaning

K&N is 50,000 mile service intervals so unless it's really bad I wouldn't worry

LVC
27-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks Gary. The bike's only get about 14k miles on it so I'm pretty certain that the K&N is fine. Not4ed for the oil strainer ;)

Just finished repairing today the bro-in-law's Kymco ZX50 Scooter - that just leaves the neighbour's Kawa ER5 to finish (awaiting new battery delivery) and then I'll be back down to 6 bikes in the workshop and enough room to get on with the S4 service :mand:

Anyone know where I can get these clips from (mentioned in my last post) - please ?????

LVC
30-07-2013, 08:44 PM
At last I've started the service.

1. K&N cleaned - tapped out the dead flies
2. Oil filter removed and oil currently draining.
3. Spark plugs changed (remember to remove the top screw cap first next time, lol).
4. Belt covers off and belts exposed.

Now .... what's the score with the belt tensioning. I've read "Ducati special tensioner tool, bla bla bla" and also it can be done with a 3mm allen key. So any clues on what, how and where please or a link to a nice friendly tutorial ??????????????

LVC
31-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Found what I was after >>> http://www.tassell.co.uk/belt_change.htm

Belts changed and all good.

Brake and clutch liquids changed - works well that little compressor/vacuum thingy :mand:

Just need to get hold of the anti-freeze/coolant and job's done :)

jerry
01-08-2013, 11:35 AM
They are suprisingly easy to work on once you get down to it ....

LVC
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes jerry I was expecting worse but as you say nothing too difficult. I've not done the clearances but with only 14k miles on the clock and having had them checked at 10k I'm not expecting them to be miles out.

The belts were not exactly worn nor perished (4k miles only but nearly 5 years since last change) - better to be safe than sorry though.

Sorted the insurance today so looking forward to getting her back on the roads soon.

gary tompkins
01-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Belts were well overdue

LVC
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Belts were well overdue

Which is why she hasn't been anywhere for 2 years, lol :biggrin:

Having said that the belts that came off other than being a bit slack (7mm instead of 5mm movement) show no signs whatsoever of perishing or breakdown - I'll find a use for them somewhere as they're too good to bin :woot:

conquistador
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I trust you tensioned them anti clockwise, not an obvious difference but a necessary one

LVC
01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
That's what the instructions said :mand: