PDA

View Full Version : pops

celt
01-01-2004, 10:32 PM
after taking my monster in for its first service i started to get a backfire when i came down the box usually from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.
i took it back to m & s at newcastle and they ran it through computer. the guy said it was sorted.
its not doing it alot now but i got one pop after a trip to darlington and back.
has anyone had this problem with their monster?

p.s

hope you all had a great xmas and new year

Julie
02-01-2004, 10:06 PM
hi

no problems with my dark 620. hope yours is ok now
julie

celt
03-01-2004, 03:42 PM
cheers.
seems quiet at the mo
fingers crossed
will still mention it when it goes for second service

kriss
03-01-2004, 04:18 PM
hi celt, had this prob with a hornet i just sold, it only started happening after i fitted a race can, dont know if you have changed your cans but i just carried riding mine, checked mixture that was fine so what the heck just rode it with no probs at all.

Albie
03-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi celt. dont know if this the same problem .My 900 occasionly backfired but cleared then missed on one. Then clearedtil last week wouldn't start when did misfire. then next time no start at all. today new plugs in different to ones that came out. they were apparently 600 ones ngkdpr9ea .ones gone in arengk dpr8ea. hope this is your problem as it is a cheap fix unless like me when i came out i also had haynes manual, dp oil filter,castol oil at 28quid plus vat. plugs were only 5.00 total 68 quid

celt
04-01-2004, 12:09 PM
thanx kriss and pat62

i havent altered bike in any way so race cans not the prob.

i will try the plugs as when it went in for first service they could have put different plugs in. m&s are usually very good though.

i found out that the people who helped me pass my test do a maintenance course so i think i will take the course and prepare me self for the summer.

kriss
04-01-2004, 01:02 PM
good luck celt.

sidrat
04-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Popping on the overrun usually means that there is an air leak in the exhaust system somewhere that allows the combustion gases to re-ignite in the exhaust and make a popping noise.

In other words have a look at the exhaust connections all the way to the end pipe for any obvious leaks. As a temporary solution, you can coat the joints with silicone.

CK & AK
04-01-2004, 06:27 PM
if its any help, mine did the same - between 580 - 700 miles (on one sat we were out) never done it since, was checked out...... and now on over 13,000 since March 02.

C