PDA

View Full Version : S4 Airbox removal, how?

mrtony
29-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi people and other mammals.

I have a 2001 S4 that has possible injector problems, the bike will not idle, and cuts out regularly at low speed.
It's only a problem at low revs, it still pulls very well without any problems once it's wound up, so I would presume the electrical side of things must be ok.

It wasn't used or serviced much before I bought it, and I think the injectors could be at fault, gummed or full of the crud that was floating around in the tank, so....... how do I get at 'em? I know the air box has to come off, but how? I'd rather not pull the thing half to bits if there's a nice easy way. :0)

Cheers.

mintyhit
29-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Do you have a copy of the workshop manual? I just followed the instructions in that to remove the air-box - it wasn't a hard job took a bit of time.

It might be worth checking your Regulator Rectifier - my old S4 had very similar issues at idle and low running speed (I had to choke out all the time) and it turned out to be the RR.

James

mrtony
29-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Don't have a book.
I've got it loose, venturis off, rear posts undone etc, just can't get the front out.
There's something going on behind the rad, is it a screw or bolt?

Not checked rectifier, but would that not cause a problem right through the rev range?

slob
29-04-2013, 04:21 PM
If it's the same a 2V there's an M8 screw going up into the frame behind/below the headstock

Albie
29-04-2013, 04:48 PM
If I remember correctly yes Rob there is one at the front. It was a cow son and kept spinning the brass insert. I think its near where the imobiliser wiring is. Maybe a pic on my project single sider as I may have asked a question.

slob
29-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Sorry, I mean an 8mm hex head (it's an M4 or M5)

mrtony
29-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Sorry, I mean an 8mm hex head (it's an M4 or M5)

Correct ^^ Mr Slob Sir, 8mm socket.

Correct also Albie, 'tis a cow, pig and other farmyard animals to get at! :grump:

Dropped the rad out a bit to get at it, really looking forward to threading the bolt back in come reassembly time..............

Thanks chaps for replies, I'll report back in a week or so when I get the injectors back in all clean and shiny.

(Probably will end up being the rectifier, but hey ho, 'nuvver job done.)

mintyhit
30-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Just dropped you a PM with a link to the workshop manual in PDF. :)

I found when my RR was on the way out it had an impact on the entire ignition system causing a loss of power, poor idle, bad starting... all sorts.

holty
30-04-2013, 03:02 PM
A commmon problem with Ducatis is black crap in the fuel filter. I would change it and see what happens..

mrtony
30-04-2013, 06:15 PM
@ mintyhit, cheers for file. I'll keep the RR in mind after the injectors come back if there's no improvement.

@ holty, had the tank filters changed at the service, LOADS of crud in them, rarely if ever changed before I had the bike going by the amount of crap in the tank. :0( This is why we suspect the injectors, it seems to have got worse since the service, so crud has possibly blocked them.