PDA

View Full Version : Wilbers Shock v. standard one on S2r800

Mohawk
22-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Interested to know what difference replacing the standard shock on my S2R800 with a Wilbers Shock will make. Anyone who has done this mod' comment on whether the benefits justify the cost. Thanks

Gilps
22-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Not used a Wilbers but did fit a Nitron on mine. They're probably not too different in terms of quality. It definitely made a noticeable difference. The back end feels better. The stock shock felt soggy. With the nitron the bike feels more planted and certainly more comfy.

slob
23-04-2013, 05:00 AM
You should also find the front suspension feels better, since it won't be constantly reacting to what the rear end is doing.

Qba
23-04-2013, 06:16 AM
The difference is very noticeable. Original Showa is back on mine for a week now
(sold my Nitron), and the difference is huge... unfortunately not for the better though.
Lost on comfort and handling quality quite a lot.

Funkatronic
23-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Wilbur's shocks are very good imho, i think they give a 5yr warranty on their new kit!
quality suspension that has been setup for the riders weight makes a massive difference to handling, particularly cornering stability

if its a 2nd hand shock then just get the sag set right for your weight and ensure the damping is reset to the factory settings for the shock

one thing to note Wilbur's supply their shocks with springs tailored to the riders weight. if the shock is 2nd hand the the other rider is much heavier or lighter, you might need to change spring. it could be worth checking with Wilbur's what the recommend spring code is for your bike and shock combination. you can then compare this with the shock your buying

Headhunter
23-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Another +1 for Nitron.

Am sure Wilbur are just good but either of the two, over stock version, will offer a lot more response / greater handling. I've had mine for 6 months now and it's a lot more fun in the corners and over the endless bridge style speed bumps. Highly recommend and even to the point of being one of the first mods to a stock bike.

p.s. I'd definitely recommend spending the extra $20 on the gun metal grey version.

utopia
23-04-2013, 12:57 PM
If you ever carry a pillion, or lots of heavy luggage, I would say that the best suspension mod on a road bike is to fit a remote preload adjuster, so you can adjust it without getting the spanners out.
Otherwise, first sign of some extra weight on the rear and you end up riding a chopper.
A slight improvement in overall suspension performance from a better shock is small beer in comparison, in my opinion.

And, er.......Nitron offer them. I'm pleased with mine.

Mind you, I'm not the sort of rider who pushes hard enough to really test the suspension very far in the first place, so I possibly wouldn't notice the other minor improvements much anyway, to be brutally honest.

Mohawk
23-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Was considering buying a new Wilber's shock and having it fitted by MCT the other option was having MCT service the standard shock. Given your comments think I'll go for the Wilbers. Cheers

He11cat
24-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Ask Darren.
I had my shock set up and shortened physically by him .
After you said about him.
But he said only so much you can do with Showa shocks.
It feels very different to my non set up one for the better.

My 400 needs doing but I have another shock to mod instead of Showa this time

Mohawk
24-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi Mel, I had asked Darren but was interested to hear what people who'd changed their shock felt the benefits were. Will def' change to the Wilbers and am seeing Darren tomorrow . Cheers

Mohawk
25-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Well, saw MCT today and ordered myself a Wilbers shock. Fitting on 23rd May. Will let you know what I think but Darren there reckons I'll notice a big difference in handling. Here's hoping

Mohawk
23-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Well like you all said what a difference losing the standard shock makes. The bike has become much easier to handle and def' feels more planted. It's as if I can feel what the back wheel is doing now and that it has more grip. Had a fab ride back from Stowmarket today then spent a couple of hours round my favourite twisties. Money well spent :-)