PDA

View Full Version : What's that coming over the hill ?

Conky
17-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Is it a monster ? Sheesh that were crap, couldn't resist it though :D

Anyhoo, ey up from sunny Manchester :look:

Questions, questions, questions, I'm a long time Aprilia owner, had them all really. Falco's, Mille's, Rsvr's Tuoldo's and currently have a Black Dream Tuono new from 09. Even had a V4 Tuono for a few weeks but after a while got bored of it, no character.
Been keen on a Monster for a few years now but never been on any Ducati. I've got mates with them, ie- Streetfighter and a Haga 1098? so I know they go well and are pretty much easy to live with despite what some think.
Anyroad, what Monster for me ?
I don't know anything about them other than what I've read ont web and forums. Do I get a cheapish one @ ?cc and see how I get on or jump straight in and get an 1100 Evo?

Whatya reckun ?

nb, if the second bit of my post should be in a different section, apologies in advance :o

slob
17-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Go test ride one, it'll cost you nought. You'll find the character of an aircooled 2v very different to what you're used to and what your mates have. S4Rs whould be more in line with those... but we all know *REAL* Monsters are aircooled ;-)

Black Bob
18-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi Conky,

First up - I'm stunned that you thought the V4 Tuono had no character? That engine, in an RSV4 at least, is just one of the most magically soulful bits of machinery ever made. :scratch:

I've had a Tuoldo - not sure I ever liked that nickname :D - for the last 8 and a half years and love it love it love it. It's worth nothing now, but I invested money a couple of years ago in getting the suspension just right. So that's why I kept it, even though I'm also now the very proud owner of an M1100 evo. Fell in love with it as soon as I took it out.

I agree with everything Rob just said - the character of the air-cooled Monster is VERY different to the Aprilia V-twin. They're chalk and cheese - both great in their own way. If you find a V4 Tuono boring, then obviously the amount of horsepower is not necessarily what floats your boat, so I'd say why bother with an S4R or S4RS. If it is character you're after, the air-cooled Monsters have it in bucket loads. And the EVO in particular has a great big hilarious gob full of torque between 4 and 6k that just isn't really there on the Aprilia. It's a hoot.

If you jumped on an older air-cooled model, you'd probably find them a bit too slow and heavy in their feel, especially the 900. I never tried a 1000DS Monster, but I did try that motor in a 1st model Multistrada, and it's brilliant. Have tried an S4 and found that a bit stodgy and heavy. But the EVO feels ridiculously light and chuckable.

I'd definitely try an EVO if I were you and only bother about the S4R(S) if you find it woefully lacking in top end rush.

Just my 2p worth.

Black Bob
18-04-2013, 06:00 PM
we all know *REAL* Monsters are aircooled ;-)

Damn right!

Conky
18-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi Conky,

First up - I'm stunned that you thought the V4 Tuono had no character? That engine, in an RSV4 at least, is just one of the most magically soulful bits of machinery ever made. :scratch:

I've had a Tuoldo - not sure I ever liked that nickname :D - for the last 8 and a half years and love it love it love it. It's worth nothing now, but I invested money a couple of years ago in getting the suspension just right. So that's why I kept it, even though I'm also now the very proud owner of an M1100 evo. Fell in love with it as soon as I took it out.

I agree with everything Rob just said - the character of the air-cooled Monster is VERY different to the Aprilia V-twin. They're chalk and cheese - both great in their own way. If you find a V4 Tuono boring, then obviously the amount of horsepower is not necessarily what floats your boat, so I'd say why bother with an S4R or S4RS. If it is character you're after, the air-cooled Monsters have it in bucket loads. And the EVO in particular has a great big hilarious gob full of torque between 4 and 6k that just isn't really there on the Aprilia. It's a hoot.

If you jumped on an older air-cooled model, you'd probably find them a bit too slow and heavy in their feel, especially the 900. I never tried a 1000DS Monster, but I did try that motor in a 1st model Multistrada, and it's brilliant. Have tried an S4 and found that a bit stodgy and heavy. But the EVO feels ridiculously light and chuckable.

I'd definitely try an EVO if I were you and only bother about the S4R(S) if you find it woefully lacking in top end rush.

Just my 2p worth.

Exactly what I wanted to hear :) Character is what its all about for me, that's why I love the Apes, every time I get on one it feels different, especially my Black Dream:heart:
As for the V4, well, it was just to damn good, to efficient. Great for going quick on but it made me feel like that was what I needed to do to enjoy it, whereas with a big twin, theirs just sooo much more you can get out the enjun. I love the roll on roll off feel of the V2
I'll probably get an older/aircooled bike tbh. I like to **** about with older things :o