PDA

View Full Version : Across Tank Steering Damper

cactus
16-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Looking for some advice on an across the tank steering damper. I have a Y2K M900 ie which came to me with an Ohlins fork and frame fitted steering damper, the damper does an excellent job but severely restricts turning of the front wheel to the point where I've almost dropped the bike at slow speeds turning into petrol stations etc. This is because the turning lock is very small, not because the damper is racked up high. Turning the front wheel more would bend the steering damper piston. I have removed the damper but would like to fit an across the tank type, does this type of damper restrict the front wheel lock ? my thoughts are it doesn't as it operates in a different plane. I'd be grateful for any advice on this as well as recommendations on which make to fit.

utopia
16-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm surprised to hear that your existing damper restricts the steering lock....not that I have personal experience as I've never owned a bike that had one fitted....but that sounds to me as if someone may have fitted the wrong damper.
I certainly wouldn't fancy its chances of survival in the event of even a minor spill.
But like I said, I have no first hand experience.

Nickj
16-04-2013, 11:41 AM
If it's that unstable that it needs a steering damper I'd be very tempted to go baseline the suspension and tyre set up.
It shouldn't be so unstable to start with that it needs damping.

slob
16-04-2013, 12:38 PM
The steering damper shouldn't restrict fork movement, if it does it's the wrong fitment for your bike. The usual limit to steering lock is switchgear/tank clearance on a stock Monster. Ducati state this as 6-6.5mm between fork and frame at full lock in my manual. I have a transverse DP/Gubellini damper on mine but it's still the lockstops that limit steering, any adjustment and the bars would hit the tank. Whilst I take Nick's point about setup, the extra torque of the 900/1000 can make them shake their head a little whist accelerating hard.

cactus
16-04-2013, 01:35 PM
It seems I may not have explained things clearly, the steering damper doesn't restrict fork movement. The previous owner fitted the damper and longer bolts which restrict the lock, shorter bolts would mean the wheel would turn more, which could damage the damper's piston. I have removed the damper and backed out the bolts to extend the lock.
I also didn't mean to imply that the bike is unstable, it isn't. But barrelling into bends on highland roads that are sometimes unevenly paved and potholed, these being unseen until you're commited isn't very good, a steering damper prevents any induced wobble.