PDA

View Full Version : M900ie oil temp gauge

chas
30-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi all

My 2001 monster does not have a oil temp gauge as standard and I would like to fit one, Question is ware do i get one from and how do i fit it.

Thanks and Happy new year to you all

Chas:burnout:

gary tompkins
31-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Chas,

Hein Gericke used to list an oil temp gauge that replaced the filler cap (engine mounted) so you could give them a ring.

Straightline Racing also list a kit (see photo) on their website - hopefully this link will work.....

http://www.straightlineracing.co.uk/index2.htm

You need the Barracuda listing from the site Nav pull down

Also give Stuart at Spareshack a call, as I'm sure other companies like Rizoma and DPM list temp gauge kits

:)

chas
31-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi Gary

Looks a bit bulky that one I was thinking of something a bit more electical to mount around the dash somewere and connect to a senser on the engine. where's the senser on other monsters that have a oil temp gauge as standard.

Chas

gary tompkins
31-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Chas,

Not sure if it's possible to retro-fit the electric temp gauge as built in on the dash of later bikes like the 620ie. If you have a look at one you might be able to see where the sensors fitted, and add one to your 900, but it could be difficult to find a gauge that matches the sender unless you swap clocks for one which has the digital readout.

The digital clocks on these bikes also tie in with the immobiliser/ECU, which could be a can of worms to sort out.

Desmodue
01-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Hi Chas

I've been 'chewing' over the same idea,

'things to consider'

mounting point * what about using the blanking screw next to the primary oil mesh filter, this must 'see' a steady supply of oil ?

the gauge it'self * calibrated in what C or F , with high temp warning zone in red, would need to know what is considered hot or cold for these air-cooled engines ?

If such a gauge could be obtained, would like it to be mounted either directly or off a bracket near to clocks

gary tompkins
01-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Chas,
I fitted some extra gauges to a kit car way back, bought from ETB at Southend. The oil temp gauge sender unit came with a Y piece, so you could still keep the original oil warning light switch. This could look a bit naff on the monster though, as it would need to be screwed into the same place as the existing switch on the engine.

Most of the smaller car type gauges only come in 52mm diameter, which could be too bulky for a handle bar location?

gary tompkins
02-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Chas,

I know this is unlikley to be what your after, but i did a bit of diggging and came up with a photo of the Hein Gericke filler cap gauge. They still list them (part No. 25001060) for around £35 but you'll have to pre-order from your local dealer.

chas
03-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi gary

They look interesting theres a dealer near me I might check them out

Cheers

Chas

Zimbo
14-01-2004, 05:52 AM
The 900ss ie has an oil temp gauge as standard, perhaps you could use that? The engine is probablt identical so there should be no problems fitting it or setting it up!

Chris
14-01-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm not sure, but I would guess that there is already an oil temp sensor fitted to the bike to tell the ECU if the engine is hot or cold. Maybe this could be tapped into?

Jay
14-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Just fitted a retro style dash to my 2000 M600. The oil temp gauge reads the oil temp via a flat socket connection to a sensor on a Oil Sieve supplied with the gauges.

If you look on the attached pic, it shows a detail of the M1000, and the connection shown there is the same as I have made for the oil temp Gauge

This probably was of no use in the aquiring of a suitable gauge, but more an indication of where the oil temp is read.

chas
14-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi Chris

I was thinking along these lines but could do with more information about it.

Chas

Desmodue
14-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanx Jay

That's the place I thought originally of placing the sensor

I'll either drill & tap the head to accept a sensor, or maybe have a look at a M1000 first

I don't want to restrict the oil flow thro' the primary filter, so I think I'll make some enquiries first !

Thanx again

Jay
14-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Yeah you could drill it, you'll have to make sure the coating of the newly made thread in the filter is a good conductor. Perhaps Ducati supply them as a separate unit, they may well do.

Perhaps download a spares catalogue from Ducati.com (see link below), I think they only start from 2000 and see what spares can be bought from a later model perhaps.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/catalogs.jhtml

robht
03-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Chas,

I'm a little late in responding to this thread...
But, I have an oil temp gauge which was on my 2001 M900 for 9 months (until I changed the 900 for a 1000).

I would be happy to sell it for sixty quid.

Details:

The gauge is in the same style as the tacho & speedo (colour, font, etc), and is mounted on a replacement handlebar clamp (included). It wires into the panel lights and so is illuminated when you switch on the lights.

The sensor screws into the crank case, but I bought a 900ss gauze filter plug which accepts the sensor and is a neater arrangement - and looks standard.

If you are interested or have any questions, let me know & I will look out a picture and more details.

Cheers,
Rob