PDA

View Full Version : Remus Hypercone 1100 EVO - A bit tight?

Black Bob
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Hello,

I've just fitted a Remus Hypercone to the EVO. Must say, I'm quite pleased with the new look, and the weight saving! :)

But I'm not totally relaxed about the clearance between the silencer and the rear hugger - it's looks awfully close from certain angles, and I just can't be 100% sure that, should the rear shock extend more than an inch or two, there won't be contact. It had me wondering if I'd been supplied the correct link pipe, but it's all labelled M1100 EVO, so I cracked on as best I could.

Here's what I mean :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1332234/titeremus.jpg

I've searched through the forum and know there's at least a couple of guys have fitted this pipe. Do you remember it being this close?

Thanks for listening.

bex
11-04-2013, 10:56 PM
I'd just file off the corner of the hugger. And buy a carbon one and all.

Its only going to melt it a bit or crack it on contact no?

utopia
12-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Well I have zero experience of the new monsters, but....
In your pic, it looks like you haven't yet attached the can bracket/strap. You may find that the link pipe settles into a slightly wider position when everything else is in place, giving you the neccessary extra clearance.
I suggest that you fit everything loosely, making sure that all clamps are loose and pipe joints free to swivel, then jiggle it into its natural position (or your preferred slight variation), before finally tightening up.
When I fitted my hi-level Termis, I spent a whole summer afternoon jiggling it about before I got it right ...though your single sided system does look much simpler than that, with fixed locations for the can brackets an' all, rather than my somewhat vague straps.
Its surprising how a minor movement at the can makes significant differences to how the pipes lie.
It might even be worth removing the spring until you've got it all lined up nicely, or at least jiggling it vigorously at that point. (hi, innuendo seekers.)

Then the other thing would be to lift the rear of the bike (frame) somehow, and watch how the suspension extends to its max point as the wheel lifts off the ground.

I know you could cut the hugger back a bit, but that seems a bit like overcoming a problem which shouldn't be there, rather than heeding the warning and solving it.

Black Bob
12-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah it's all fitted - that big shiny thing screwed to the silencer is also screwed to the footrest hanger.

Did all that leaving everything loose thing - that honeslty is the best position I think I could have got it into with that link pipe.

Hmmm... ah well, think I'll just see what happens. :D

Could be a good excuse to buy a dremel....

J.P
12-04-2013, 03:40 PM
It's probably the right link pipe and just not made to exact specs.

You might find problems when under full load etc with the tyre or certainly the hugger.

I'd get a hammer out and move the link pipe.....but that's just me....

utopia
12-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Yeah it's all fitted - that big shiny thing screwed to the silencer is also screwed to the footrest hanger.

Ah yes, I see it now. Couldn't quite make sense of the pic at first.
My next thought would be to bend the big shiny thing slightly, or space it out with washers maybe.
Though a dremel is a handy thing to have anyway.
I think Silverline do a cheaper equivalent too, but I don't know how the quality compares.

Dookbob
12-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Slack it all off again and bend the shiny thing outwards.

Black Bob
29-04-2013, 10:05 PM
I had to wait over a fortnight before I could even fire up the bike after fitting the Remus. But following a thorough testing including some pretty shoddy roads, nothing seems to come into contact with anything it shouldn't. :)

And it sounds bleedin' glorious from the saddle - especially with the taps open at about 6,000 rpm! :D

Looks considerably better in my opinion and shaves off a load of weight.....

Before:

After:

Well. Chuffed.

Still don't like the tyres though. Don't trust 'em.

bex
30-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Top marks, I'd say you owe a few beers to whoever recommended that.

steeevvvooo
30-04-2013, 07:31 PM
That looks awesome!!

utopia
30-04-2013, 08:48 PM
I always did like the evo style headers, but the std cans totally spoil the lines. You've released their latent beauty.
There's just so much to like about a black evo, and with that Remus can I reckon there are few prettier bikes.
I spent hours grinning stupidly at one, at the nec a few years ago. I thought I had just about got over it by now, but seeing yours with that can on, has got me started again.
And its not that it just looks pretty....its puts a big fat tick in all the functionality boxes too, while avoiding the styling excesses of many modern bikes.
Ok, maybe the hugger is a bit too minimal for total practicality, but I'm being picky now.
On the other hand, I'm even becoming a convert to single sided swingarms when they have an accessible, side-mounted shock, making adjustments easy. .....certainly does clean up the beautiful, simple lines.
Proper awesome.

J.P
30-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Very nice indeed.