PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Park threat

Geoff Ives
01-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Hi Guys n Gals.
You may have heard about the plans of the local council to put intolerable limits on the use of Mallory Park race circuit.
Below is a link to a petition to attempt to stop this attack on our motoring/motorcyling heritage.
If you agree with the petition please sign it. If not, thank you for looking.
Regards,
Geoff

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46739

utopia
01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Signed.

I have a real soft spot for Mallory.
It was the first place I ever saw bike racing.
Also to date, the only track I've ridden.
Ok, it may have become a little cramped for todays level of bike performance, somewhat spoiled by too many new chicanes, and lacking in pit facilities, but it has bucket loads of real world charm, a long history of providing some excellent racing, and offers by far the best spectating of any circuit I know.
I would be gutted to see its demise.

While one can understand the point of local residents who dislike the noise, the circuit does nestle in a natural sound-deadening hollow. .....and was probably there before most of the locals moved in, so they knew the score from the start.
I would say that its a lot quieter on race day now than it used to be in the 2-stroke days, but then again there are probably many more trackdays and suchlike, without which the circuit might struggle to survive.

Its been a recurring isuue for decades though, and probably accounts for the lack of development over the years.
If not for that, I reckon Jonathan whatsisname would've bought it a few years back.
There was talk of an extension over the banking at the devils elbow a couple of years ago, but snetterton seemed to get preference.

andyboy
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Signed.
First place i saw live bike racing too ,great memories ,hopfully more to come!!
What about a club track day there?

Geoff Ives
01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Signed.

I have a real soft spot for Mallory.
It was the first place I ever saw bike racing.
Also to date, the only track I've ridden.
Ok, it may have become a little cramped for todays level of bike performance, somewhat spoiled by too many new chicanes, and lacking in pit facilities, but it has bucket loads of real world charm, a long history of providing some excellent racing, and offers by far the best spectating of any circuit I know.
I would be gutted to see its demise.

While one can understand the point of local residents who dislike the noise, the circuit does nestle in a natural sound-deadening hollow. .....and was probably there before most of the locals moved in, so they knew the score from the start.
I would say that its a lot quieter on race day now than it used to be in the 2-stroke days, but then again there are probably many more trackdays and suchlike, without which the circuit might struggle to survive.

Its been a recurring isuue for decades though, and probably accounts for the lack of development over the years.
If not for that, I reckon Jonathan whatsisname would've bought it a few years back.
There was talk of an extension over the banking at the devils elbow a couple of years ago, but snetterton seemed to get preference.

It is remenisent of Brooklands in the 30's. People move to an area that has a race circuit then complain about the noise.
30 years ago some newcomer came to our village and moved into 'Church Cottage' Then complained about the bell especially on A Sunday when they like a lay in...:scratch:

Kazza
01-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Signed. Great memories of the Monster track days.

NewMon
02-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Petition signed. Let's hope something can be done.

For nostalgia's sake, here is a bunch of Monsters at Mallory:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8612435969_b8d1d0d8b6_c.jpg

NewMon
06-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Bumping this. Not many signatures yet.

gary tompkins
06-04-2013, 11:11 PM
There's a Mallory petition that's been running on facebook for a while

Already signed it weeks ago - that UKMOC @ Mallory picture was taken in 2004