PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Restrictors

pegboy
25-03-2013, 11:34 AM
I need to fit these retrictors to my M600. Can someone tell me where they are fitted to. I understand they will fit in/on the carbs, but where exactly.

Also, would the carbs need rejetting for correct fueling?

Sirc
25-03-2013, 11:38 AM
They are usually fitted in the carb inlet mouth between carb and air cleaner but have occasionally seen them fitted between carb and inlet manifold although former is better.
This is a slightly controversial subject re: legality as some manufacturers of these 'penny washers' tend to justify their exorbitant fees by having you believe that you are required by law to engage a manufacturer to make and fit to your bike and that a certificate is mandatory. This is total bollox. If you are happy that any washers you obtain are capable of restricting the engine down to the required level and that you feel competent enough to fit them then this is totally acceptable practice. Woe betide you if you get this wrong however as in the case of an incident (worst scenario) Police could confiscate bike for testing of course.

gary tompkins
25-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Why does the kit's picture show 4 washers when you only have a twin?

pegboy
25-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Why does the kit's picture show 4 washers when you only have a twin?

I think this is just for advertising picture as it can be used on other make of bikes also.

bluestoesonnose
25-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Be careful fitting them yourself. When we had the XBR500F the restrictor had to be fitted by a motorcycle garage and suitable paperwork filled in and stamped or we weren't insured...

pegboy
25-03-2013, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Sirc;450936]They are usually fitted in the carb inlet mouth between carb and air cleaner but have occasionally seen them fitted between carb and inlet manifold although former is better.

So how are they actually secured in place, between the carb and filter? Surely they will not just sit on top. Or the rubber from the Air Filter holds it in place??

Sirc
25-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Be careful fitting them yourself. When we had the XBR500F the restrictor had to be fitted by a motorcycle garage and suitable paperwork filled in and stamped or we weren't insured...

if your Insurer stipulated fitted plus paperwork to prove then I would cast around for another broker as this is still not 100% accepted practice as far as I know. I don't know what the current fit plus certificate is but i've heard prices of up to £300 which could be recouped just from changing Insurance.

Sirc
25-03-2013, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Sirc;450936]They are usually fitted in the carb inlet mouth between carb and air cleaner but have occasionally seen them fitted between carb and inlet manifold although former is better.

So how are they actually secured in place, between the carb and filter? Surely they will not just sit on top. Or the rubber from the Air Filter holds it in place??

the best ones are made to be a close fit within rubber manifold - i.e. just a shade smaller than flange on carb flange - they merely sit there as 'nowhere to go' anyway. I remember i got someone to add a drawing to show inner/outer dimensions on a Forum - may be this one.

EDIT - There you go (for a 600) :- http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=43679&highlight=restrictor have restrictions changed? - is this for 33 bhp? - I should either make inner dia 19mm to be on the safe side and/or investigate some more.

Kieranrb
25-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Upon passing my test a little of 2 years ago i spent a while studying the 33bhp laws and feel i have a pretty good grasp of them (assuming this is for the 33bhp not the new 42) it is not a legal requirement to have them fitted professionally (although i did because i couldn't find the kit second hand) (the washers fit between the carbs and the inlet manifold) anyhow as far as the law is concerned a certificate means nothing, if they are questioning your restriction they will simply have it tested. Some insurance companies do require proof although i was with MCE and they didnt care. As a rule of thumb the certificate is a glorified way to make a wad of cash! hope this helps!

Dukedesmo
25-03-2013, 08:03 PM
A certificate isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Amongst the many parts I built my bike from I have an invoice/certificate from a bike shop/previous owner stating that a 33hp restrictor kit was fitted to the 600cc bike - showing my reg. no etc.

Obviously it's no longer fitted as the bike has an 'unrestricted' 944cc engine but I still have the certificate... ;)

bluestoesonnose
26-03-2013, 11:38 AM
May not be worth the paper it's printed on but we had real issues getting the bike insured without it. Turned out cheeper to get it fitted and have the cert, than pay the extra over two years for the insurance.

Just a point to be aware of...

Sirc
26-03-2013, 12:36 PM
(the washers fit between the carbs and the inlet manifold)
well yours did.. and it now seems the majority do but there are two reasons that the type fitted between air filter and carb are superior.
1/ By taking the route of limiting the air supply only (like some of the Formula SuperVee/Formula Renault racecar series used to) there is no risk of uneven mixture effects or 'puddling' particularly in cold weather.
2/ The restrictor is unlikely to become displaced as it's always being sucked onto the carb flange.

pegboy
26-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks everyone it's not for me. Some might have seen my m600 for sale. I have someone who is interested however they need the restrictors fitted. They have checked with their insurance and all they require is the paper work. By the sounds of thing they are not to fussed either. So I have offered to install them for the possible new owner, and apparently this is ok.

gary tompkins
27-03-2013, 08:14 AM
You can also get a restrictor kit that limits the throttle opening

bigfiretruck
27-03-2013, 04:05 PM
I have one of the throttle limiters (and the carbs are currently off the bike) so you're free to have it... just email me

oscar @ o5ky .co .uk

I had the paperwork from the previous owner who had it fitted etc... but my insurance never asked for it :)

slob
27-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I'd be interested in getting my hands on some 600 and 620 kits to keep as club resource, hire to members cheap for as long as they need them...

utopia
28-03-2013, 02:24 AM
What kit exactly are we talking about here, Rob ?
Do you mean the throttle limiter thingy....however that works ?
Or is it just fancy washers for the intakes ?
If the latter, I may be able to make a batch if I had access to a pattern.
....though I haven't seen one in the flesh, but from memory they're dead simple and overpriced.

bigfiretruck
28-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah it's just a washer that's the size of the rubber sleeve above the carbs (between airbox and carbs) with a hole in to limit the air.

The throttle restrictor is litturally that, it sits across the throttle body stopping it from opening more than about 1/2.

Slob it's yours if you want it :)

pegboy
28-03-2013, 09:34 AM
What kit exactly are we talking about here, Rob ?
Do you mean the throttle limiter thingy....however that works ?
Or is it just fancy washers for the intakes ?
If the latter, I may be able to make a batch if I had access to a pattern.
....though I haven't seen one in the flesh, but from memory they're dead simple and overpriced.

When i get these i can make a template so you can make them, i can also measure the thicness and give you the details

Dirty
02-05-2013, 12:58 AM
When i get these i can make a template so you can make them, i can also measure the thicness and give you the details

Make sure it's for the new regs. Though the old ones would still be legal those extra 9hp come in handy!