PDA

View Full Version : Which bike to keep?

Wildfire
06-03-2013, 03:56 PM
:fou:Having decided to downsize to bikes from cars, I seem to have ended up with 3 bikes now, 2 of them M600 Monsters. The plan is to do one of them up and sell the other. But which one?
Bike 1
1995 M600 - Red
16,000 miles ridden regularly
Tail Chop

It’s a bit tatty as it’s my commuter but that is easily fixed (mainly paint), but being a early Monster it has it’s charms.

Bike 2
2001 M600 Red
15,000 miles
Not ridden too much

Generally in pretty good condition. Needs better tyres and a bit of work to get it to MOT.

Now the issues. Having ridden both here are my findings:

The gearing is very different, the early bike has a short 1st and a long 2nd, the later bike seems a bit more balanced. The early bike seems sharper steering (this may be to do with tyres) but is seems the head angle on 2001 Monsters is 29 degrees compared to the old Monster which is 23. The bars are 10mm higher and the tank smaller. All of this makes the bike feel more upright and crusier like. It’s a bit ponderous into slow corners, much less flicky than the old bike.

But the 2001 has Showa forks, a Tacho and carb heaters.

A dilemma! Or maybe I am just being sentimental as I ride my 95 bike so much.

The winning bike will receive:

Imola Belly pan, Rizoma rearsets, Rizoma Mirrors and indicators.

But which one to sell? (Both will be done up with new paint and a full service)

jonzi
06-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Keep both

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206

slinemfc
06-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Get rid of the non monster and keep both of them! B-)

Nickj
06-03-2013, 04:52 PM
The tacho and carb heaters are mostly decorative, the showas don't really make a massive difference unless you've done work on the shimming.
The '95 would have a lower annual average, it's got a just below current average bike miles per year now but as it's older the miles aren't a deterrent. Age also lowers expectations but doesn't hit the sale price too much, it's depreciated as much as it's going to and as long as it runs nicely it's good.
The '01 is kinda same as, most would look and see a 600 monster and not be really aware of much difference. The miles are low and again if it runs well it's good.
As long as whichever is all polished and looking a picture of glossy loveleness it'll sell.

I'd keep them both and get a carbie 750 to keep them company ;)

utopia
06-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Firstly, re. the steering angle.
A change from 23 to 29 deg steering head angle would be massive.
Had a look in my yr2000 manual where it states "steering tube angle 23deg, steering angle (each side) 29deg".
Therefore I suspect that you are confusing the vertical angle of the headstock (ie rake, 23deg) with the available turning lock from side to side (29deg).

I have recently switched back to just bikes again, and my trusty diesel astra estate is now on permament free loan to a mate, who puts me as a named driver on the insurance in case I should ever need four wheeled transport. Its a solution which works well for me.

If you're in love with your monster and intend keeping it long term, then I'd say keep the later one as, being one of the last of the carby models, it will have benefitted from all the little detail development refinements over the years.
For example, the later bike will have the 3-phase alternator (3 yellow wires) where the earlier one may have the single phase (2 yellow wires) type.
And the later one will have the clutch with external slave cyl, rather than the earlier integral slave type.
There will also be loads of minor changes, perhaps even just an upgraded material for some components, which are likely to be performance related (rather than economic).
Also its seen fewer winters, so despite the mileage being similar on both bikes, the newer bike's tank will probably have had less internal condensation/corrosion.
And your commuter monster will probably have seen a high number of cold starts, so engine wear is likely to be greater.
The electric carb heaters don't work particularly well, but neither do the older oil fed heaters either, or so I'm told. But I still think its better to have them than not, even though both will almost certainly need pro-fst in the fuel to prevent winter carb icing.

On the other hand, like Nick says, the older one has done most of its depreciation already so it might be the economical choice, though in truth neither is going to depreciate much from here on anyhow.

NewMon
06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
I would say keep the younger one. But I would, wouldn't I?- I own a 2001 M600. However (and this may be a controversial statement) I think the later M600 is better and should be more reliable in the long run. Caveat: I haven't owned an older one so the above statement is based on observation of others/forums etc.

Wildfire
06-03-2013, 06:17 PM
One will have to go, as I need to buy a house and a car amongst other things. The ZX-6R is there for track day fun and in case I need a quick cash boost.

I think I may look at keeping the newer one and selling on the older one, having said that the older one has never let me down and so far it's being a struggle to start the new one. I suspect it just needs a service and a bit of TLC.

Wildfire
06-03-2013, 06:18 PM
I did have plans for an 848 to keep one of them company, but the necessity for a car and the quote for £2k insurance put that idea to bed.

FLATTOP
06-03-2013, 06:53 PM
I think by the sounds of it deep down you love the old one, older bikes are always harder to come by.

Wildfire
06-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Perhaps I should keep both for a while, ride both then see which I prefer... over summer......

northantsrich
06-03-2013, 10:11 PM
I have a 94 M600 and I would say keep that. Fantastic fun on the back roads and its going to stay pretty much at the same value I expect.

gary tompkins
06-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Keep both but stick a decent 900 engine in one of them and flog the spare 600 lump to finance it

Best upgrade you can get IMO

Scott1
07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Perhaps I should keep both for a while, ride both then see which I prefer... over summer......

That's the stuff, best to not to make any rash decisions that you'd regret later.

I've had both a 95 and a 2000 600 Monster, loved them both, older one probably more fun to ride but the newer one didn't break down every time there was a hint of moisture in the air.

utopia
07-03-2013, 01:07 PM

But then it'll be the end of the season and you'll probably find it less easy to sell at the right price.
Shame they're both the same colour, otherwise it would have been an easy choice....;)

pegboy
07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I am having to sell one of my bikes, i have put it off for a while until the missus started nagging about having three bikes. Now we are moving I can no longer justify keeping all of them. The decision was very difficult as i really enjoyed riding the 600, even more so that i have just finished the rebuild,:grump: but i have opted to keep the S2r for road and 749s for track. These choices are not to be taken lightly and wouldn't wish this upon anyone.:cry::cry::cry:

Dookbob
08-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Keep the later m600, I would go with Utopias' thinking on this, plus the later one has neater wheels and nicer fork bottoms, plus a nicer front mudguard.

utopia
08-03-2013, 12:29 PM
.....and there speaks a man who seems to know his 600s very well, having done a number of top notch restorations.

Wildfire
08-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I am leaning that way. As soon as the weather gets better I will be hard at work restoring/cleaning up both bikes.

gary tompkins
09-03-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-900SS-900-SS-SUPERSPORT-904-1995-COMPLETE-ENGINE-MOTOR-ONLY-23K-MILES-/200891376187?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ec60f223b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MONSTER-M900-M-900-SS-ENGINE-MOTOR-LOW-MILEAGE-/181078305537?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a291bab01

You should get something like £300-350 for your existing 600 lump