PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Clutch

FLATTOP
03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi took my M900 out today for its first proper blast since last year i only done about 60 miles but i noticed the clutch was squealing (dry clutch) i got home and noticed it was more noticeable when i pulled the lever in there are no leaks or dragging and its engaging gears perfectly is it what i suspect just crap in the plates and it just needs taking apart and cleaning.
I have hardly used it all winter but i have started it and let it run at least once a week thanks in advance.

jerry
03-03-2013, 02:11 PM
soak plates in petrol , set fire to them and extinguish right away = clean plates

or clean with a very stong solvent

FLATTOP
03-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Cheers Jerry will do that thanks for your advise.

Yorkie
03-03-2013, 04:13 PM
soak plates in petrol , set fire to them and extinguish right away = clean plates

Take plates out of bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha......

Yorkie

rollo22
03-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Whilst the plates are out check the stack height.

Saint aka ML
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Take plates out of bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha......

Yorkie

I liked the first idea :)

Yorkie
03-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I liked the first idea :)

But then you are a little mad!:devil:

Yorkie

Saint aka ML
03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
But then you are a little mad!:devil:

Yorkie

Possibly but look at time saving.

Also Jerry you did not specify how to put it out again? Fire extinguisher, water hose, pee on it?

Yorkie
03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
pee on it?

Hahaha ...... I like your thinking!

Yorkie

FLATTOP
03-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I must admit the idea of setting fire to the plates seems quite exciting, i am going to keep it simple take them out and put them back the same way as they came out. Am i right in saying stack height should be 38mm and if so is their a specific way to measure them.

Dukedesmo
05-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Remove the friction plates and give them a light coating of lithium grease (the aerosol kind) then wipe off and re-assemble; no more squealing and a smoother engagement.

Saint aka ML
05-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Remove the friction plates and give them a light coating of lithium grease (the aerosol kind) then wipe off and re-assemble; no more squealing and a smoother engagement.

Grease on plates hmm sounds crazier then setting it on fire then peeing on it?

Yorkie
05-03-2013, 09:40 PM

Only just!

Yorkie

gary tompkins
05-03-2013, 09:52 PM
The much safer way to do it without loosing your eyebrows, skin, garage, no claims bonus.... etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wurth-Motorcycle-Car-Kart-Workshop-Brake-Cleaner-Aerosol-Spray-500ml-/370653031138

http://www.hevosvoima.com/shop/images/Tuotekuvat/wurthsabesto.jpg

Dukedesmo
05-03-2013, 10:53 PM

You'd be surprised, it works well - just a very light residue, stops all the donkey braying noises and smoothens the engagement.

jerry
06-03-2013, 10:01 AM

I am going to try this as an aexperiment to verify it
because my 750ss has some issues with a little grabbiness and squeal at low speed take up and the plates are crispy clean after my pyrotechnics

mind u i may need a new rear pressure take up plate but trying to save £60

utopia
06-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I have no experience of dry clutches whatsoever so I probably shouldn't comment, but without wishing to doubt the advice given by others more knowledgeable than myself, I'm somewhat alarmed by Jerry's pyrotechnic solution. I guess the immediate extinguishing is key, but it may be a fine line between medium-rare and very well done.
The grease option seems bizarre at first sight, but less so when you remember that most clutches operate in an oil bath anyway. Even so, it would be a leap of faith if I tried it myself (if my clutch was a dry one, which it isn't....phew).
So, I was wondering if there was any point considering pulling the lever to open the plates and giving the clutch a very light spray with wd40 or something similar (preferably one without ptfe content, I guess). You could do this without stripping the clutch if you have a vented cover. If it stops the squealing then you will at least know that you're on the right track, without much hassle. Actually, I guess you could even try paraffin or something like that...?
Probably safest just to strip and clean in the normal way though.
My only other thought is that worn gears can squeal, as could a failing bearing.
Don't take my words too seriously though....like I said, I have no direct experience at all.

FLATTOP
06-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Its definetely the clutch squealing because i have an open cover and i got really close to it and could hear it also there was a little whiff of clutch plate smell i really want to go down the arsonist road but i know it will be at the cost of the garage and all my toys lol, i got myself a tin of wynns brake and clutch cleaner simular to what gary put up and i am going to to do it on saturday morning been too busy this week to get into it, will give an up date thanks for all the interest :ukm:

Saint aka ML
06-03-2013, 06:26 PM
It is clutch. I always had it hence hate dry clutch. For me it was either deal with noise or do racing start of each lights :) Currently my front brake sounds like bus when braking from cold so that is more annoying for me.

Dukedesmo
06-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I am going to try this as an aexperiment to verify it

I was skeptical at first but tried it on my 916. For the first few miles it made the clutch drag a little but that was probably because I'd left a little too much grease on the plates, it soon cleared though.

It certainly makes it a little smoother and stops the squealing but don't just take my word for it; http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/123775-grabby-shreiking-clutch-how-i-cured.html

gary tompkins
06-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Its definetely the clutch squealing because i have an open cover and i got really close to it and could hear it also there was a little whiff of clutch plate smell i really want to go down the arsonist road but i know it will be at the cost of the garage and all my toys lol, i got myself a tin of wynns brake and clutch cleaner simular to what gary put up and i am going to to do it on saturday morning been too busy this week to get into it, will give an up date thanks for all the interest :ukm:

Might be worth bleeding fresh fluid into the clutch system while you are at it

If the fluid's old and knackered it the slave might not be lifting the clutch pressure plate properly

FLATTOP
07-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Might be worth bleeding fresh fluid into the clutch system while you are at it

If the fluid's old and knackered it the slave might not be lifting the clutch pressure plate properly

Yeh i will do that i changed it about 2500 miles ago it wont hurt it to put some fresh fluid through it .

FLATTOP
09-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Oh well thought i would give an update i took it apart today cleaned every part as it came off and laid it all out i have never taken one of these apart before i was surprised how many plates there was it was around about the 14 area including the steels, they were all pretty mucky and the last two steels had quite a bit of surface rust, the bikes only done 4000 miles so it is the OEM clutch i cleaned them with clutch cleaner and rubbed down the steels with a fine abrasive block it went back in pristine condition, i also changed the fluid and bled the system then i started her up i could not believe how quiet it has become it seems a lot smoother and selected very crisp,tip of the day you lot have probably sussed this already a bendy rod with a magnet on the end made life very easy extracting the plates thanks for all the comments :thumbsup: .