PDA

View Full Version : Possible on line scam involving Ducati Monster

Grumpy
28-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Over the weekend I noticed a Monster 1000s for sale on Biketrader, allegedly within 5 miles of my home, for sale. The asking price was just under 1k, on a 05 plate with about 5k milage.
Finding this to good to be true, I contacted the seller, by e mail, asking for more info and to view the bike.
The seller responded last night, by e mail.
I was sent further photos of the bike and told that it was for sale at such a low price due to being recently divorced and in need of money. I was also informed the bike is in Glasgow, and the owner is working on an oil rig in the North Sea.
As this did not tally with the listing in Biketrader, my suspicions where aroused!!
The seller was very pushy trying to get me to agree to sending the money via e bay? (not paypal) and claiming the bike would be delivered to me once monies had changed hands. They also claimed that I was protected by e bays selling policy and if I was not happy with the bike , he would refund my money and take the bike back.
As you guys will be aware, neither paypal or e bay give any protection when purchasing a vehicle.
When I challenged the buy about this and insisted on viewing the bike, the seller stopped communicating.
In most of the mails, they where pushing for my ebay a/c details, plus my address.
BE AWARE.
I feel this is a scam.
If anyone would like the sellers email address or the bike reg, please contact me, and I will pass them on.

DrD
28-02-2013, 10:30 PM
There is quite a bit of this around with cloned adverts and too-good-to-be-true prices.
Report it to Bikertrader

northantsrich
28-02-2013, 10:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_3wUKy6ZM

nuttynick
28-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Loads of this on Autotrader at the moment, they have a warning on their website about it. The usual is an email address over one of the photos with instructions to contact the 'seller' using it.

Sirc
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Thank goodness it stopped there Grumpy - as above, have seen many like this but I don't understand how they reckon they can get to your money via E-Bay - I remember a seller trying that around 3 years ago.

popelli
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
offer to pay cash on collection

best for both parties

He11cat
02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Been loads on gumtree as well .
It's common practise ..
In one club if we wanted a bike out if area it was common if we were near we would " visit " the bike to make sure it was there or collect it for the person and hold.
(Theyd pay the buyer) .
At least the local person would turn up and view.

What a git!!!!!
Report!

mrtony
09-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Defo a scam, seen loads of warnings in various mags/papers like this.
Pics only show parts or nearly all of vehicle/bike, but never any identifying marks.
Contact only via email, no phone or address, and often state working away from home,
there are alot of oil rig workers with cars to sell!!
And they always say send the cash first.............

If it seems too good to be true.......
I'd rather miss out on a dozen "bargains" than get tucked up once.