PDA

View Full Version : Any LAMP gurus out there?

slob
24-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Not Joe Lucas' finest

Linux Apache MySQL PHP

Give me a shout if you have any free time.

jonzi
24-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Ukmoc going to be hosted from chez slob?

slob
24-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Just looking at all the alternatives...

Nickj
24-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Doesn't it run on a lamps stack already? I thought vbulletin was native PHP My SQL, but if it's running on a windoze server it's still got to offer PHP (5.2.x) and MySQL (5.2.x) as add ons at the server side. PHP versions are nearly as tricky as MySQL if the PHP code is old and there's a deprecated statement in use.

Options depend where the licence comes from, we're at 3.8.3, wasn't the licencing changed last year sometime so you need to buy a V5 licence to be able to get past 3.8.2 but not neccesarily use 5.
I think there's a few combinations and at my age I get confused easily :freak:

Oh and noooo, no expert, just never used anything else but lamps.

If you want to play set up a linux VM sandbox or repurpose some old hardware like a cheapy lappy.

Dookbob
24-02-2013, 05:27 PM
That's just what I was going to say.

utopia
24-02-2013, 05:42 PM
You could try polishing the lamp, then asking the genie.
You'll only get three questions though.

Grumpy
24-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Doesn't it run on a lamps stack already? I thought vbulletin was native PHP My SQL, but if it's running on a windoze server it's still got to offer PHP (5.2.x) and MySQL (5.2.x) as add ons at the server side. PHP versions are nearly as tricky as MySQL if the PHP code is old and there's a deprecated statement in use.

Options depend where the licence comes from, we're at 3.8.3, wasn't the licencing changed last year sometime so you need to buy a V5 licence to be able to get past 3.8.2 but not neccesarily use 5.
I think there's a few combinations and at my age I get confused easily :freak:

Oh and noooo, no expert, just never used anything else but lamps.

If you want to play set up a linux VM sandbox or repurpose some old hardware like a cheapy lappy.

I think iv'e just learned to read klingon!! :biggrin::biggrin:

slob
24-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Set up a VM on Ubuntu and installed phpBB3 to have a play. Doesn't mean I could support/secure that or vBulletin in anger.
Just trying to find out whether we have the neccesary skills in the club without completely winging it.
I've spent the last 15 years trying not to play with Windoze and spend more quality time with Cisco and Juniper.

Nickj
24-02-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm liking Utopias thinking on this, and Grumpy if you're at the Italian festival or maybe the weekender I'll bring you some klingon conversion manuals.

jonzi
24-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Set up a VM on Ubuntu and installed phpBB3 to have a play. Doesn't mean I could support/secure that or vBulletin in anger.
Just trying to find out whether we have the neccesary skills in the club without completely winging it.
I've spent the last 15 years trying not to play with Windoze and spend more quality time with Cisco and Juniper.

How much customisation do you think UKMOC would need? How much of what we already have is out of the box vs customised?

Never used it but isn't PHP pretty easy to pick up if it needed custom plugins?

Also I have a raspberry pi kicking round if you want to host it on that!

Nickj
24-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Assuming the same version is used copying the config over along with the templates would give you the same site look and feel.
Pulling an extract from the existing db should restore the content.

It would be worth a try on the same bulletin system

Jumping over to another bulletin system might well loose pretty much all of the content if there isn't a utility to extract the existing data. Matching fields between two systems would involve an awful lot of fields in different tables.

PHP can be easy, plugins less so depending on what you're doing