PDA

View Full Version : 1100S tank range

Liddle145
19-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Sure it has been asked before by new owners but what tank range can I expect from my 1100S ?

Obviously I will get an idea once the weather breaks but trying to plan Our yearly Scotland trip, Looks like I will be one who needs petrol most times this year so trying to get an idea of range.

Cheers Mick

Rally
19-02-2013, 09:19 PM
On longer cruising runs, you can expect 150 before you need to look for fuel. Mine will average 50 - 55 MPG at 80 mph on motorways. You can't complain at that.

SunEye
19-02-2013, 09:45 PM
I posted the following in July 2011 when I had my M1100 following a trip to Spain.

At a fairly steady 80-85mph on motorways I was getting about 150 miles before the reserve light came on. That's about 60 mpg. The best I got was 170 miles (66mpg). This meant that on the 600 mile days we only had to stop three times after a fill up at the very start of the day. That did mean riding for about two and half hours between breaks. Even riding around in the mountains (faster than my friend could hustle his Rocket III around the twisties and he is a far far quicker rider than I am, if we are put on the same bike) I was getting at least 130 miles before the reserve light came on.

That equates to a tank range of somewhere between 170 and 220 miles.

I am assuming that your bike doesn't have ABS. If it has then you need to adjust the figures because you only have a 13.5 litre tank and not 15 litre, so that's a 150 to 200 mile tank range.

Liddle145
19-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for information chaps, yes its a 13.5 litre tank I would be happy with 130 mile range as I ride with a group that has sportsbikes, Bkings and Triumph speed trips so we normally only do 150 miles at most.

I dont do much motorway stuff it will all be twisties on most of our ride outs

I will do a range test once the weather breaks

Thanks Mick

SunEye
19-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Your 1100S is likely to be similar to my Evo. In which case on long non motorway runs you'll probably find that the reserve light comes on at about 110-120 miles, especially if you overfill the tank by a litre ;) Otherwise you'll get the fuel light not long after 100 miles. That sort of tank range is probably no different to most sports bikes, although your fuel economy is probably better.

Thirdway
20-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Your 1100S is likely to be similar to my Evo. In which case on long non motorway runs you'll probably find that the reserve light comes on at about 110-120 miles, especially if you overfill the tank by a litre ;) Otherwise you'll get the fuel light not long after 100 miles. That sort of tank range is probably no different to most sports bikes, although your fuel economy is probably better.

Yep, about 120 tops. No idea how anyone gets 220 miles unless they are being towed. I can tell you that at really high speeds you can be filling up every 30 minutes which is around 65 miles to a tank. That's with it pinned to the stop on an Autoroute for 3 hours in order to make the ferry. One of those times when you wonder if you should be trading speed for reduced fill ups.

Albie
20-02-2013, 10:15 AM

No evo has a smaller tank because you have ABS. 1100s do 150miles on Normal riding, Hard riding over 100. Slow riding I have no reall idea as you cannot help but just enjoy a bit more throttle.

SunEye
20-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Yep, about 120 tops. No idea how anyone gets 220 miles unless they are being towed. I can tell you that at really high speeds you can be filling up every 30 minutes which is around 65 miles to a tank. That's with it pinned to the stop on an Autoroute for 3 hours in order to make the ferry. One of those times when you wonder if you should be trading speed for reduced fill ups.
Here's your justification:

Traveling at 120mph and spending 5 minutes filling up every 30 minutes you'll be able to cover 540 miles in 5 hours 10 minutes at an average speed of 105mph.

If you did the same distance at 85mph, spending 5 minutes filling up every 120 miles, it would take you 6 hours 42 minutes (average speed 81mph).

So if you want to get somewhere quicker, ride faster ;)

SunEye
20-02-2013, 10:33 AM
No evo has a smaller tank because you have ABS. 1100s do 150miles on Normal riding, Hard riding over 100. Slow riding I have no reall idea as you cannot help but just enjoy a bit more throttle.
The M1100S was available in ABS and non ABS versions. The ABS versions have a 13.5 litre fuel tank.

Liddle145
20-02-2013, 01:32 PM
So I don't have ABS on my 1100s so I have the bigger tank, is this right ?

It will be interesting to see what range it does.

SunEye
20-02-2013, 01:41 PM
So I don't have ABS on my 1100s so I have the bigger tank, is this right ?
Correct.

The only suitable space that Ducati could find for the ABS system was under the tank, but that wasn't actually spare space because the tank was there. So they redesigned the tank so the ABS system would fit, the end result being a 1.5 litre smaller tank.

strumbuddy
20-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Mick
Right then.....M1100s riding style "spirited" best 150 mile to light, worst 85 mile to light, the worst was a dark flat out Glasgow to Carlisle doon the motorway......I normally look for fuel at anything over 100 miles.....but if yer in the middle of neewhere as is easy from Hartlepools, then a splash and dash is worth it, cos it's a b@stard to push when you run oot, as has been said if yer getting 220 miles to a tank, you must be on the back of the recovery truck.......I've done lots of trashing around Scotland with the SDC and find that its folly to ride past a station at 80 miles on the trip cos you "think" there may be another 50 miles on, in the highlands lots of stations close say early evening or tea time at weekends....Look fwd to meeting up with you out and about.....
Cheers
Strum

Liddle145
20-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for info, I'm expecting 100 miles before fill ups whilst in Scotland and as you say passing a petrol station with 80 miles into a tank would be a no brainer.
Done 9 trips to Scotland now on various bikes, we tend to do 250 to 300 miles of spirited riding a day for 5 days. sunday blasts are similar mileage (200to 300)
I try to avoid motorways so don't think I will see big miles per tank from the monster.

Did a run through to Helmsley as my first proper run out on it and it is a fun bike,
do I get more miles per gallon on one wheel as the 1100 lkes to wheelie at every opportunity hehe

Sure we will catch up somewhere Strum looking forward to it
Great fun

Thirdway
22-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Here's your justification:

Traveling at 120mph and spending 5 minutes filling up every 30 minutes you'll be able to cover 540 miles in 5 hours 10 minutes at an average speed of 105mph.

If you did the same distance at 85mph, spending 5 minutes filling up every 120 miles, it would take you 6 hours 42 minutes (average speed 81mph).

So if you want to get somewhere quicker, ride faster ;)

I could also shovel down a gob or two of water or a bar of chocolate on the way back from paying for petrol at alternate stops.

Just shows that speed matters. I just made the Ferry, literally straight from the passport office and straight onto the ship. After about 600
miles I just fell asleep.