PDA

View Full Version : Couple of pictures

Pomp1
16-02-2013, 08:26 AM
To tickle people appetite..:biggrin:
S4R
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/pomp_one/Desmo%20Performance%20Parts/S4Rsundertray_zpsa1f08c35.jpg
M1100
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/pomp_one/Desmo%20Performance%20Parts/M1100FullSystem2_zps9367e0de.jpg

bluestoesonnose
16-02-2013, 08:53 AM
I really don't like the Lobster Back look on bends, you can get stuff like this mandrel bent, or close and then only one or two welds which can be blended in, just looks unfinished or a bodged to me

buffalo4
16-02-2013, 10:33 AM
I really don't like the Lobster Back look on bends, you can get stuff like this mandrel bent, or close and then only one or two welds which can be blended in, just looks unfinished or a bodged to me

Looks Spot On To Me :biggrin:

Pomp1
16-02-2013, 02:37 PM

You can't quite mandrel bend titanium like that..

slob
16-02-2013, 05:27 PM

I agree about not being keen on the look (and after a long conversation with John at Racefit today) this can depend on whether Ti tube is available in the right diameter or whether they had to make their own, which can't always be bent so readily. Each to their own, life's much more interesting with a little variation.

utopia
16-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I particularly do like the cut and weld bends.
It hints at low volume or one-off production and gives the pipes an old school special kind of look.
I think they look awesome.

gary tompkins
16-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Tooling needed to produce accurate preformed bends like this is too expensive for limited production runs. Many of those bends far look too tight to produce effectively using the mandrel method anyway. If the inner face of the tightest bend has a radius (this is Root Radius) the same as (or close to) the tube, you're unlikely to make a presentable job of it without cracking and wrinkling thin wall tube. This is why the factory race bikes go for this method. Big bore (60mm+) thin wall pipe is impossible to bend tightly enough to fit within the confines of a race chassis.

bluestoesonnose
17-02-2013, 06:07 AM
There are loads of companies out there that do this every day, and Ti, come on, use Inconel, I know four companies that could have made that on a mandrel in either Ti or Inco. The Pipe on my BSA is a one off, mandrel bent item, took the chap just under an hour, all CNC'd

Rally
17-02-2013, 06:39 AM
I also like the look of the welded joins, just not so sure on the twisty routing of the front pipe? If it was the usual bend, it would look better to me.
I expect it's probably done to give it swirl or correct length, or something to do with back pressure etc.

utopia
17-02-2013, 11:28 AM
I had assumed that the tortuous bend on the front pipe was there to equalise the length of the front and rear headers before they join together.
I like that for its engineering purity, which adds a beauty which is more than skin deep.
And to be honest, I much prefer something like this which looks like its been made by an individual with a strength of purpose rather than a computer and an expensive production facility.
I just hope they don't do a two into one, equal headered system that fits my M750, otherwise my bank balance is totally sunk.

slob
17-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I just hope they don't do a two into one, equal headered system that fits my M750, otherwise my bank balance is totally sunk.

Racefit... made to measure, should be under £3K* if you're lucky

* this sound like a lot at first but when you compare it to off the shelf systems from Termi' or Akra' it's extremely reasonable.

Pomp1
17-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Racefit... made to measure, should be under £3K* if you're lucky

* this sound like a lot at first but when you compare it to off the shelf systems from Termi' or Akra' it's extremely reasonable.

make it around a third of that.. Got this nice little baby for the older Monster too..(sorry utopia..) As slob says a Termi, Akra or Zard will be a lot more expensive and only be Stainless and exactly the same as everyone else can buy...
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/pomp_one/Desmo%20Performance%20Parts/PipesM900_zps82504d91.jpg
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/pomp_one/Desmo%20Performance%20Parts/PipesM900Ti_zps0df9cd0c.jpg