PDA

View Full Version : The Hilltop Diner near Salisbury has closed it's doors!

Rally
31-01-2013, 12:28 AM
As of the 29th the Diner is no longer open for business. It was announced on Facebook before some staff were even aware!

As this was our regular breakfast meeting point, watch this space for news of February's meeting place.

SunEye
31-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Sad news. It can be very difficult financially running a small business (I know, I run one). From what I have read it would appear that the cost of the rent of the property was just too high to enable the business to run. That's a shame. I am lucky that my landlord is very understanding and my rent is very reasonable.

Char
31-01-2013, 09:32 AM
yup - closed the doors and staff not paid - usual story opening up down the road debt free

I dont think I'll be visiting the new venue

Apache Cafe at Middle Wallop it is then!

Although I hear Mr Biggs does a good bacon butty

Stafford
31-01-2013, 06:29 PM
How about the Friar Tuck Cafe, 8 Salisbury St, Amesbury, Salisbury SP4 7HD?
I recall they do a Monster breakfast.

chris yeatman
31-01-2013, 11:18 PM
How about the Friar Tuck Cafe, 8 Salisbury St, Amesbury, Salisbury SP4 7HD?
I recall they do a Monster breakfast.

about the same mileage for me to get breakie!!!

Stafford
01-02-2013, 08:16 AM

So you'll still be in the car then. :freak:

rollo22
01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
There's also the cafe at Cotswolds water park??

Char
01-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Looks like it could re open in a couple of weeks under new Management :yoparty:

Watch this space ,,,,,,,,,

chris yeatman
01-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Looks like it could re open in a couple of weeks under new Management :yoparty:

Watch this space ,,,,,,,,,

Again..............

Stafford
03-02-2013, 09:10 AM
There's also the cafe at Cotswolds water park??

Just reviewing the breakfast here.

http://www.lakepochard.co.uk/watersidecafe.html

Stafford
03-02-2013, 01:08 PM
OK a short review of the Waterside cafe.
Very good value all day breakfast @ £4.40 and £6.25 for the mega version, tea comes in at £1.05 and all in all it was very good. Set up it seems to service the adjacent lake that's for fishing. Not a huge place seating around 44 but plenty of seating outside as well for a fine day in the sun. Loads of other items on the menu so a good place to meet up for a lunch or just drop in for a tea/coffee if passing by. The car-park is a single layer of gravel not deep and rideable, the other side was a bit like clay and wet so bring a puck either way.
We did also pop in to the cafe at the Greeting point for the Cotswold Water park (opposite Cotswold camping) but at £7.95 for a breakfast and £2.30 for coffee we investigated the Waterside instead!
Perhaps Zak would like to use this as a Gloucester meet point?

Char
03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Well HillTop is re opening this week back under the old owner / management

So the Sunshine Breakfast is back and prices have been greatly reduced

For me the HillTop was and hopefully still will be the best breakfast around

Howard has a job back there to with better hours and pay :)

So I hope everyone will help support the new venture and I wish them all the best for the future

Darkness
03-02-2013, 02:41 PM
It was still closed when I went past this morning, though the lights were on out back and there were vans outside.

The car wash was doing a roaring trade though!

gary tompkins
03-02-2013, 09:02 PM

So you'll still be in the car then. :freak:

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

gary tompkins
03-02-2013, 09:05 PM
OK a short review of the Waterside cafe.
Very good value all day breakfast @ £4.40 and £6.25 for the mega version, tea comes in at £1.05 and all in all it was very good. Set up it seems to service the adjacent lake that's for fishing. Not a huge place seating around 44 but plenty of seating outside as well for a fine day in the sun. Loads of other items on the menu so a good place to meet up for a lunch or just drop in for a tea/coffee if passing by. The car-park is a single layer of gravel not deep and rideable, the other side was a bit like clay and wet so bring a puck either way.
We did also pop in to the cafe at the Greeting point for the Cotswold Water park (opposite Cotswold camping) but at £7.95 for a breakfast and £2.30 for coffee we investigated the Waterside instead!
Perhaps Zak would like to use this as a Gloucester meet point?

I've fished this venue lots of times with my Dad... the waterside cafe is top notch, and popular with local bikers, cyclists & hikers passing through

http://www.lakepochard.co.uk/watersidecafe.html

It's only about a 45 min drive from where he lives in Melksham