PDA

View Full Version : Bored too quiet.

He11cat
28-01-2013, 01:57 AM
Well I love my monsters to bits and staying I'd the plan.
I'd love to have an old M900 but at mo out of the question.
Also the amount of work gone into the glittery one .

I've always tended to ride grey import 400,s then the vile 500 kwack , then inline 4 600 yam .. Then Monsters and I feel so ok with them.

One thing I can't get out of my system is the noise .
Every time I hear that dry clutch rattle I feel a grim creep on my face
The other week I had my monster started the 600 and these blokes where outside my house and commented on the noise .
Bloke said yeah she has a Ducati .... Can't you tell it's that dry clutch sound !!
Wtf????? Right bike but I have a wet clutch!!!

Anyway itch is just too big to ignore.
So what do I do ???
Lump in a 900 engine if I can find one ?
How much difference is there ?
Does it make the bike heavier by lots or is it not a big jump?

So wondering if anyone who's jumped from an M600 to a M900 could enlighten me?
Also Im not tall and I jump off a Cg125 often then into M600.

Or do I shell out and have my 600 lump dry clutched?
What also would be cheaper option?

Not sure what to do.
No point in me buying a whole bike .

slob
28-01-2013, 06:12 AM
I went from a 620 to a 1000, which is probably comparable. The 1000 is brutal by comparison, the end result is you end up riding it more gently most of the time. It's easier to ride as a result, since you don't need to dance on the gear lever to keep it on the boil. It's about 20Kg heavier but since most of that weight is spinning, you notice in the corners, more of stop/turn/fire it out instead of carrying corner speed. The clutch is also significantly heavier although if you're not using it hard you could take a couple of springs out, as well as using an uprated slave cylinder.

Geoff Ives
28-01-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a confession to make.
I can't stand the sound (noise) of a dry clutch. I find it irriatating and embararassing on my ST2 so when I wanted an older Monster I searched hard and found a M750. Reasonable power without the noise.

Dukedesmo
28-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Would imagine fitting a dry clutch to a 600 would be expensive, not sure if 900 parts will fit? I think some 750 had dry clutches and so may fit as I believe the 600 & 750 share crankcases?

A 900 upgrade would probably be a cheaper option and it would probably cost less to swap bikes rather than engines - unless you can find a 900 engine cheap.

As for riding, obviously more power but shouldn't be any bigger or much heavier as the frame dimensions are the same - the starting point of my 900 was a 600 frame, however my route to a 900 has not been a 'budget' one by any means... :rolleyes:

Yorkie
28-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Mel,

Get hold of a 900SS/900 Monster engine cheap and do the swap, you have got the ride height sorted for you so a cheap lump will give you what you want.

I waited 18 months to find mine and gathered all the other bits I needed/wanted so it could be completed quickly.

Good luck if you are hunting for one!

Yorkie

gary tompkins
28-01-2013, 12:22 PM
A 900 upgrade would probably be a cheaper option and it would probably cost less to swap bikes rather than engines - unless you can find a 900 engine cheap.

Usually the simple option... sell the 600 and get a 900, but you'll need to put ride height back to stock beforehand which could be difficult

Power on carbed 900 is around 74bhp compared to around 50bhp on the 600

A running 900SS or monster lump will cost at least £400 -500 and don't come up secondhand very often

utopia
28-01-2013, 01:41 PM
My mate has an RD350LC with a broken exhaust baffle.
That rattles at tickover just like a dry clutch.

Personally, although the dry clutch rattle does have a certain awesomeness about it, it also makes me whince to think of the wear that it must cause on the clutch, ie notchy basket etc. After all, its metal to metal contact that creates the noise.
I can understand your dilemma though, and I'm aware that this is a persistent, long term itch.

An engine swap isn't exactly a simple process, and there are bound to be a few unexpected issues which complicate the process (oil cooler needs adding, for a start).
On the other hand, you could maybe recoup some funds by selling the 600 motor afterwards.
Dry clutch conversion is a much more complex mod, but at least the work is concentrated in one area and the engine doesn't even need to come out.
Also, you keep the 600 motor, which might be a bit more user friendly on a day to day basis....I've heard that the 900s can be a bit lumpy and a bit too aggressive on those days when you're just out for a bimble......that, and the friendly wet clutch were the main reasons that I bought my "best of both worlds" 750.

I know you've seen the thread before, but here's a link/reminder of how Dunlop did his conversion. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=46143&highlight=dry+clutch
I think I remember that Stuart42 did one on his 750 too.

If you do decide to go down the conversion route, I'd be happy to have a go at machining any little spacers, seal carriers etc that you may need, if my little lathe is capable (it almost certainly is).
No charge, as its for a good cause.

On the other hand, if finances permit (probably not), you could start a long term build of a 900 project, with your ally tank and other roadracing bits.....that's probably the simplest way to go, but in your case you'd have to repeat the lowering mods to the chassis, so it would get expensive, and you would then end up with THREE monsters that you'd never want to sell.

utopia
28-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Oops, posted that twice.

Saint aka ML
28-01-2013, 02:01 PM
If you get a 900 lump most come with oil cooler. A day work to swap if you in hurry. If not and want easy time 3 days. Day one carbs, airbox out. You change jetting on carbs for 900 (same carbs just needle need changing). Would also remove all connectors and hoses from engine. Day two out with rear wheel, swinger, suspension and drop engine (no need to touch front at all). Move it all to new engine and slot it in adding swingarm and suspension. Day 3 rear wheel, fuelling and all other engine connectors, carb, airbox and you done with each day loads of tea time.

If you prep there can be no problems assuming engine you buy is good. The only 3 differences are carb jetting, oil cooler that attaches to engine anyhow and increase in cc/power.

chris yeatman
28-01-2013, 06:53 PM
wen from m750 to s4r 996, my grin got bigger!!

gary tompkins
28-01-2013, 08:03 PM
The only 3 differences are carb jetting, oil cooler that attaches to engine anyhow and increase in cc/power.

You'll need matching exhaust downpipes too - the 600 pipes won't fit. Also the 900 generator connections and existing reg/rectifier need to be checked for compatibility.

Albie
28-01-2013, 08:18 PM
simple solution and very cheap in comparison for that jingly jangly noise.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/msLZxlMUPwDGyORW5HhvxDg.jpg

Dukedesmo
28-01-2013, 08:59 PM
You'll need matching exhaust downpipes too - the 600 pipes won't fit. Also the 900 generator connections and existing reg/rectifier need to be checked for compatibility.

Intake manifolds are also bigger bore and slightly different shape/length.

Before you know it a 'simple' upgrade can get complicated and expensive...

Don't ask me how I know... :chuckle:

Nickj
28-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Would imagine fitting a dry clutch to a 600 would be expensive, not sure if 900 parts will fit? I think some 750 had dry clutches and so may fit as I believe the 600 & 750 share crankcases?

Depends on the model as there were some changes through time. Dunlop will be able to let us know which casings fit, there's a handy post on this here somewhere.

Saint aka ML
29-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Forgot about pipes granted but I have m900 downsides if needed.

Reg/rectifier connection is not an issue. Older style is 2 wire, injection newer style is 3 wire. If you connect 2 wire to 3 wire just ignore one connection. That is what I done.

Saint aka ML
29-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Intake manifolds are also bigger bore and slightly different shape/length.

Before you know it a 'simple' upgrade can get complicated and expensive...

Don't ask me how I know... :chuckle:

Are they? The one's I been playing with were not then again I was playing with 1993 m600 and m900 so the usual parts bin special rule might apply.

scrapps
29-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Just buy my 900ie and problem sorted plus has glitter included !
And sell off the 600 to another short legged person :biggrin:

He11cat
29-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Just one problem :) I think it could be the lowest monster about stock!
I have yet to find a lower one !
I reckon with the seat height and glitter ive knocked about a grand off the price :p
Nobody would buy my bike lol

Guess who sold her old shock :( and had her newer one shortened.
Like hell am im putting on my Ollins :) thats mine :)

Dukedesmo
29-01-2013, 12:30 PM
If you can finance it, buy a 900 then swap over all the lowering/bling etc to it, then sell on the 600 with the 900's standard parts on it.

At least you'll get it the way you want...

Mark Taylor
29-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Hi Hellcat, just bear in mind you may struggle to find insurance if you change the engine, gotta love that dry clutch rattle tho:thumbsup:

FLATTOP
29-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi Hellcat i love the noise of my dry clutch combined with my noisy exhausts it drives my friends mad they call it the duclattery lol, the M900 has a lot of bottom end oomph and seems to just crack on no matter what gear you are in heres a little tease although a bit expensive good luck in which ever route you take.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MONSTER-M900-M-900-SS-ENGINE-MOTOR-LOW-MILEAGE-/181059950988?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a2803998c

rollo22
29-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Send Stuart 42 a pm he has done the conversion on his 750.

He11cat
29-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Il have a look later .. Don't even mention the gas flowed head one that came up!
I've a mystery engine in my basement .
But sadly it's either a 400m or another 600m engine no idea how it runs :(

I'm thinking I need to ask Dunlop on how many man hours this took!!
Sounds like stick with the engine I know as its had a fair bit spent on it .
And mod the clutch ..
Swapping engines then trying to sell may leave me with more agro .
Grrr so want an old 900 :(
But if the clutch is a bugger then means again another slave and springs out which is another £100 on top of engine stuff next thing you know you way over the grand mark :(
I've got the two bikes so if one was off road wouldn't be too bad .
While one was clanked.
I also have monster parts everywhere which I could sell I guess..

At some point this has to be done !!!!
Il ask Dunlop time factor and stuff .

Thank you so much for the offer of help with spacers and bits Utopia :) bless you x

He11cat
29-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Stuart's a pretty busy chap ..
Don't like to bother him .

utopia
29-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Reading back through Dunlop's thread, it sounds to me like Hector's motor, which I think is the later type, would be suitable for doing the same conversion.
I also notice that this is still something of a work in progress, and will be track tested early this year, so it might be wise to wait until after that before doing your's.
That's probably a good thing as it gives you a few months to make your mind up, and maybe start collecting some of the bits if they come up at decent prices.
Sounds like the clutch drum needs machining too....the offer includes that......don't be shy, now....:biggrin:
You never know, I might just end up being inspired to do the same to my 750, once I've seen how its done.

Blah blah
29-01-2013, 05:31 PM
I went from a 1997 750 to a 1998 900 and the weight difference between the 2 wasn't really noticeable, both with stage 2 dynojets, cans etc etc...

However the power difference certainly was noticeable though as the 900 will pick the front wheel up on just the throttle whereas the 750 took a bit of effort :biggrin: