PDA

View Full Version : Buying from the USA

pegboy
26-01-2013, 11:53 AM
I have my eye on a full termi exhaust system in the states. It's fairly cheap and wanted to ask if there is anything I need to be aware of in terms of emissions etc. Also I know that there will be a import duty to pay on top of the postage etc but is there a way of finding out an approximate cost before purchasing.

Nickj
26-01-2013, 01:07 PM
You'll probably get hit for customs duty, how much depends on the value and what it's declared as. There are over 10,000 categories!!
Then you get VAT which will be based on the declared value (or a customs decided number if they think the declared value is way out) PLUS the customs duty and the carraige costs.
THEN it'll get shipped to a parcel force office that handles and accepts these payments. For this dubious honour you also get to pay the 'secure carraige' costs from the point of import to the office as well.
You need to look at the categories at Revenue and customs and see which is the best fit as far as levied % is concerned and see if the exporter will use this description. It's also nice if they can state a cost that isn't too high but looks OK, lots won't do this though.

The systems will be pretty much the same world wide, I think they have the same stamp type on them BSAU, EPA etc. You can get some stickies that have say the italian approval code and slap them on which gives a euro approved look even if you trip car alarms from 50 feet.
Worst case would be to fit some extra baffles and tune by hacksaw for the desired noise level.
Although there is a euro noise level defined in the Euro regs the test conditions aren't really applicable to the field so no ones going to stick a db meter on you. It's down to someone, typically a plod, to say IMHO that's too loud. Not likely to happen unless you really **** them off in some other way as well

Nickj
26-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Just looked, the standard cans have an E3 xxxx-x.xx code which is EU and an EPA ZDM-xxx which should cover the US.
DP kit may well not have this which technically leaves them outside of the emissions regs so not for road use. In practice unless they are really bad no one will really care that much though.
MOT just says you need silencing but that's it and as above is up to the testers discretion, mine likes my cored pipes.

Nickj
26-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Oh and I forget the exact details but you can bypass the pay at a parcel force office by pre-declaring the item and dealing directly with the Revenue. There is an exact wording that needs to be used on the declaration form attached to the items and form you fill out to go with payment.
If I remember where the details of this are I'll let you know!

tricolore
26-01-2013, 03:09 PM
To give you an idea a mate of mine ordered an OHLINS rear shock from California for £780.00. It was delivered by UPS and he had to pay the driver £50.00 for duty and vat.

gary tompkins
26-01-2013, 03:40 PM
You'll get hit with 20% vat at the very least

buzzbomb
26-01-2013, 03:40 PM
I've received goods from the US with UPS being the shipper and parcel post being the deliverer, you usually have to pay import/vat + a charge for parcel post doing the transaction, I once commented to the guy at the depot that at least **** Turpin whore a mask and the cheeky bugger replied "yeah and he had a nice horse"...:cry:

Try not to have it shipped by FedEx, now they really know how to shaft you...:Furious:

He11cat
26-01-2013, 03:52 PM
£350 bike part from USA cost me well over £100 to bring in minus shipping :(

I asked about a Crash helmet once rang customs and it was over half the cost of the item!!!!
Making it dearer then just buying here :( was gobsmacked.
But yup 20% VAT shipping and parcel farce costs.

Alot of people selling parts are not going to write a lower value on or gift because the consequences of being caught not good :( also if the item gets damaged or lost the courier will say you only declared it as ?????
So I for one would ring customs and ask!

hhmunro
26-01-2013, 03:55 PM
now if you have a friend in the states,where they can ship it,and he sends it on to you,the situation may be slightly different...

SunEye
26-01-2013, 05:12 PM
The rule of thumb I have used before pursuing purchases from the USA is to swap the $ sign for a £ sign and if the price is still a bargain then it's probably worth doing.

For example for a Shure SM7B microphone I imported the total cost came to £315 (the US price was about $320). At the time the cheapest UK price was over £400.

throstle
26-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Just got loads of stuff from California for my car. Expensive shipping, but, no other charges. You need to know how to work the system:

Gift or recipient's own property on customs form.
Declared value of approx. $20

I lived there for 18yrs and never paid anything other than shipping on top of cost of goods.