View Full Version : Best thing to happen to a 749

Yorkie
14-01-2013, 09:52 PM
This is by far the best thing to happen to a Ducati 749:

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2012/03/ducati-749-cafe-racer-custom.html

Yorkie

Dave G
14-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Cant say I share your enthusiasm for it.

Whatever the advantages of Ducati's 4v engines they are not display items and dont suit this type of bike. I daresay it makes a frisky amount of power compared to the 2v motor but it looks too heavy and has too much ancillary stuff (plumbing etc) visible.

gary tompkins
14-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Nice but would have looked better without the plumbing

NewMon
14-01-2013, 10:38 PM
I can't make up my mind. But here's the thing: Can it be ridden? I see a lot of these special builds etc. and a lot of them don't look like they can actually be taken on the road. maybe this one can - I don't know. To me a bike has to be rideable on the Queen's highway. You know, to actually enjoy it.

utopia
14-01-2013, 11:07 PM
If it could be ridden, it certainly couldn't be ridden very far.
Just far enough for a stone to jump into those open belts, then it would be goodbye motor.
Taglioni to tagliatellli in one easy step.
Those wanting to see their belts should fit or make some proper see-through covers, rather than taking the easy way out, removing a functional component with no thought for the consequences, and calling it "custom".
So....sorry, but I couldn't see beyond the open belts.

I would normally end such a rant with a "nothing personal" type of comment, but I can't think of one.

damien666
15-01-2013, 12:25 AM
I think the plumbing fills out the front shape of the bike better. Without it they look like skinney 125's!...... Runs and hides.....:biggrin:

Zak
15-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Its original, its different, the paint scheme works well for me, it has a cracking engine and handles like a dream (unless they have played with the rake etc, but you would hope not).

Customs will always divide people, I quite like this.

final_edition
15-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Poor attn to detail, they left the frame lugs/brackets on.

Yorkie
15-01-2013, 04:45 PM
If it could be ridden, it certainly couldn't be ridden very far.
Just far enough for a stone to jump into those open belts, then it would be goodbye motor.
Taglioni to tagliatellli in one easy step.
Those wanting to see their belts should fit or make some proper see-through covers, rather than taking the easy way out, removing a functional component with no thought for the consequences, and calling it "custom".
So....sorry, but I couldn't see beyond the open belts.

I would normally end such a rant with a "nothing personal" type of comment, but I can't think of one.

Mmm, not really a rant, but having had open belts for 4 years and no stones (ridden all year round) and no damage to the engine I looked beyond the belts.

Different strokes for different blokes!

Yorkie

NewMon
15-01-2013, 08:48 PM
So the belts are ok. Is the rest of it road legal? Am I being too practical here? I obviously don't 'get' customs. I'm sure it cost a lot but not being able to ride it would make it a very expensive decoration. Or do they take it to bits after the publicity shots and make something else out of it?

Yorkie
15-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Dude, road legal is a very loose term, lights, number plate and an MOT tester who is slightly deaf and most things will get through. Customs should be ridden like all bikes, to within an inch of their parts!!

Quite a few Monsters around here are fettled to fit how their owners want them, some the more radical the better.

Each to their own, if you keep a Monster standard that's your choice.

Yorkie

NewMon
15-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for each to their own and modding etc. And modded monsters or standard monsters (are there any?) are all great. I hope someone IS riding that 749 like they stole it. Almost all customs I see have no 'messy bits' like indicators, plates, mirrors etc. so I assume they are just for show. I hope I am wrong.

utopia
16-01-2013, 03:40 AM
Yeah, sorry. Its just that those open 4-valve belts dominate the side view so much, they just grabbed my eye.
With covers on, I'd actually quite like it.....even better if they were clear. Smoke tinted would be awesome. Then I think I would like the way the belts so dominate the look from the side.
I do like a single can exhaust too, and that one's quite nice.
Bodywork I'm divided on...quite like the tank but the seat is a bit boxy.
I won't comment on the tiny front mudguard, as it'll only lead me back to the belts.
The little round headlight looks great and makes me think I should consider changing mine.
I guess its actually quite tidy, as removing the fairing panels must expose a lot of bits and pieces....assuming these are refitted somewhere ie the bike is more than just a show only machine.
I wonder what it weighs.

Despite the fact that the middleweights are probably my favourites amongst the faired "superbikes", I nevertheless think I agree with you that the best thing for them is to get them naked.
Though if it had been a 748, I might have felt differently.......I have a soft spot there.

He11cat
16-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I like the paint.
The back end is too square and needs to more rounded and curvy.
The rear "stop" light get shot its tacky some thing simple and clean please.
I would also bung some custom belt covers on.

I love open belts like Yorkie's bike but 4V open is not a pretty sight .
2v open looks nice.

I love custom Ducs :) as long as they don't Harley fy them or cruiser them :)

LouSCannon
16-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Love it....

Mark Taylor
16-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Mmm, not really a rant, but having had open belts for 4 years and no stones (ridden all year round) and no damage to the engine I looked beyond the belts.

Different strokes for different blokes!

Yorkie

Couldn't agree more - no belt covers for me either - it transforms the look of the engine - don't be paranoid - who, me?