PDA

View Full Version : Speed Dreams BBC

J.P
09-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Did anyone else what that BBC program the other night about various Brits making a trip to Bonneville to race their bikes/car on the salt flats ? I got round to watching it on the iplayer last night and it was very good. Second part next week I think.

True 'bloke in shed' engineering from all types of people.

Bonneville is certainly one place I'd like to pop along to at some point in my life.

And made reference briefly in the program about the film 'The World's Fastest Indian', which is also brilliant.

Headhunter
09-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Nope. But gonna download it now. :)

nuttynick
09-01-2013, 02:51 PM
It's the best thing I've seen in ages, fantastic stuff. I won't spoil it but the bit about the ashes gave me a lump in my throat!

Scott1
09-01-2013, 02:59 PM
I saw it just by chance and I loved it, well worth a look on iplayer. The thought of doing Bonneville on a bike terrifies me but I'd love to have a go.

pegboy
09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
yes caught it half way through, although i realised afterwards i actually recorded it also, haven't watched it in full yet, but you just reminded me of it

scrapps
09-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Yep saw it and looking forward to part two.

mintyhit
09-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Yeah I watched it...that supercharged bike was amazing, the guy made his own clutch!

J.P
09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
And why did a fair few of them look like Slob ?

Blah blah
09-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Brilliant, not the usual style over substance dicumentary, really looking forward to part 2

strumbuddy
09-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Aye twas a very good bit of TV and just proves it does not all have to involve.....Two Geordie idiots in a jungle (next to an hotel), A gay judging panel (excluding Darcy) watching dancing, Z list "stars" w@nking on ice, wannabees who cant sing on the "perpleXed" factor!!!!!!!! Even "wor lass" watched it with me and did not fall asleep!!! Result!!! Seriously though a great bit of TV (on council telly) and I can't wait for next weeks episode,,,,,,,

Albie
09-01-2013, 05:32 PM
J.P maybe we could do something with my Yamaha srx400 and you could run it down there. How about supercharging it.

I will be watching it asap and recording the rest

bluestoesonnose
09-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Did anyone spot the swinging arm on the Triumph Bonnie? Monster or 888 Duke

NewMon
09-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Yep, I 'discovered' that my wife had recorded it 'cos she thought of me - Best bit of telly I've seen in ages. Totally looking forward to the next episode. I love my wife.

Desmo xxx
09-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Fantastic program,
Now whose up for building a Air cooled monster with
:Hi compression pistons, Moto GP electronics, turbo, supercharger, Nitros,
Custom made carbon and magnesium parts, Ho please remind me if I forgot anything.

Please make all donations made payable to Desmo xxx For this project :rolleyes:

I think it will take me about 60 odd years to finish like true Bert Munro style.

Petej
09-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Ill find it on iplayer, the 'Fastest Indian' is a great film, I watched it by accident but well worth the time if you've not seen it.

NewMon
09-01-2013, 07:37 PM
And the beauty of it is that the film inspired one of the participants' to go to 'the salt'.

FLATTOP
09-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Did anyone spot the swinging arm on the Triumph Bonnie? Monster or 888 Duke

The forks looked familiar as well, there are some Brilliant engineers in this country just give them a lathe and they seem to be able to make anything cant wait to see how they all get on.

crust
09-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Loved every second of it.

Excellent to see my old mate PJ starring on telly, especially his attempt to flash fry the camera crew with his home furnace.

Top man

Petej
09-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Just watched it! Very good! next one will be interesting, when is it on next?

gary tompkins
09-01-2013, 10:36 PM
I missed this J.P but just found it on iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01pvbdv/

Will record other episodes on Tivo :)

dam
09-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Just watched it! Very good! next one will be interesting, when is it on next?

Sunday @ 10pm

Great programme even a "car" from Scotland :biggrin:

J.P
10-01-2013, 07:49 AM
J.P maybe we could do something with my Yamaha srx400 and you could run it down there. How about supercharging it.

More than happy Albie.
Luckily the speed record for something like that is gonna be quite low....

I mean, I've done 150 mph before, so it can't be that hard to do it on uneven salt, for mile after mile, right ?

gary tompkins
10-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Record for trike was broken in september 2012 and now stands at 132.342mph

Even though it's geared for a theoretical top speed of 120mph.. I struggle to hold onto mine over a ton

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/news/

Previous record was held by a Lehman Renegade at 121.672mph

http://www.bikernettrikes.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=11072

Dookbob
10-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah I watched it...that supercharged bike was amazing, the guy made his own clutch!

The clutch was smart, but he even made the crankshaft, in his shed for crying out loud, how cool is that.

Headhunter
10-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Don't bother with BBC iplayer, guys. Download it via torrentz etc (torrentz.com)
Better def versions available. Look forward to seeing Part 2.

Albie
11-01-2013, 04:35 PM
More than happy Albie.
Luckily the speed record for something like that is gonna be quite low....

I mean, I've done 150 mph before, so it can't be that hard to do it on uneven salt, for mile after mile, right ?

Well I have a lot of work to do on it still but XT is almost finished and intention is to get back on it in a month or two. Its actually a very simple bike to finish and was doing the fabricating of the rearsets and cafe seat before I was rudely interrupted by the XT500

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Cafe%20Racer%20Project%20%20Yamaha%20SRX400/006.jpg

My original plan of a copy of the Lossa engineering one may yet still happen too. Doing up XT seems to result in lots of spares so either I sell the engine or make a Lossa bike too. Have a frame available and thinking of some 18" alloy wire rims on XS hubs with monster forks and rear swingarm.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Cafe%20Racer%20Project%20%20Yamaha%20SRX400/hero-150x150.jpg

Watch this space.............

slob
13-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the heads-up J.P, I really enjoyed that, looking forward to part 2 tonight.
Did you notice that the Triumph bonnie was running Ducati wheels, forks and Monster swingarm (although there was an SS frame leaning against the wall in the workshop)

And why did a fair few of them look like Slob ?

I used to know Chris Ireland, in his former life as Desperate Dan, I build a 'vehicle' based around one of his chassis.

GT. Building a 150mph trike can't be that hard, surely? A quick gearing change might get yours close to a record.

gary tompkins
13-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I think it might need a bit more horse power Slob. The extra wind resistance of trike is really noticable over a ton, so just raising the gearing wouldn't be enough. An S4 powered trike would probably have enough power, but I would go for a slightly stretched wheelbase too. Mine is really short for a trike to help handling at low speeds but it gets a bit twitchy when flat out. Oh.. and quick gearing changes aren't on the cards either. Whole rear end has to be stripped so I can get the differential out, because the left half shaft stops me removing the rear sprocket

slob
13-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I think a modern litre inline four with two front wheels, one rear would probably be the way to go...
and some slippery bodywork.

scrapps
13-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I think a modern litre inline four with two front wheels, one rear would probably be the way to go...
and some slippery bodywork.

Are you saying Gary does not have the slippery body of a racing snake :)

gary tompkins
14-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Sod the streamlining.. just think I need a bigger motor

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AY-a3oXNmhI?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AY-a3oXNmhI?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>