PDA

View Full Version : Pound-shop for paint, and more.

utopia
08-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I've just discovered that my local pound shops sell a range of aerosol paints.
I imagine many of you will have seen it in your local neighbourhood, courtesy of the local grafitti "artists". (ironically, its next on the shelf to the anti-vandal paint and grafitti remover.)
Compared to Halfords, who would have charged me £19.50 for 3x 300ml cans of primer, gloss and clearcoat, I got 3 cans the same size for....£3.
Obviously it may or may not be the best quality paint, and the colour range is limited, but for small, relatively insignificant bits it could be perfectly acceptable. I only wanted black anyway.
It smelt different, so I'm assuming it may use cheaper propellant, but it went on fine, and didn't react with the Halfords plastic primer that I'd already applied.
Will report back on how it stands up in use, but at 85% cheaper it certainly fits the budget.

While I was there I also picked up 6x LR44 button batteries for my Zena alarm disc-lock.
Decent quality (Maxell) these only cost 50p each...they're normally 3 or 4 times that price, and don't last ever so long, so I often ended up using the disc lock without the alarm working, which is a bit daft.

I even got a twin pack of perforated, stainless steel sink strainers, which I may use as part of the "semi-baffles" that I plan to make to take the edge off the noise of my open termis.
For a quid they're worth it, even if only to hold them over the ends of the cans to get an idea of how much effect such a restriction will have.
I used to have steel mesh wired over the ends, which worked in a minimal kind of way, and lasted for quite a while, but eventually ripped out when I gunned it from the lights when rising to the challenge of a spotty youth on a supersports bike.

Oh and 50x little plastic shot-glasses, which don't appear to react with the epoxy resin that I'll be mixing in them.....at 2p ea obviously.

And a pack of 3x school-type bristle paintbrushes, perfect for brushing cleaning solvent into nooks and crannies, or applying paraffin (as cutting fluid) to the ally mountings that I'm machining in my lathe. I don't need to tell you the price.

Not to mention a dozen, stainless steel, S-shaped hooks.....well you've never got one handy when younneed to hang something up to paint it. You would pay 5x the price just to buy that much 2mm stainless wire.

Then there was the little textile mini man-bag thingy. I think it claimed to be for your mobile phone and other tat. It fits perfectly in the underseat compartment, next to the Ducati toolkit, and holds a puncture plugging kit and those extra toolkit items that Ducati have the nerve to think that you'll never need.
Actually, these were so good that I got a couple of spares, in case anyone else should want one. I'll bring them along to gatherings.

I do like a good ferret about in a pound shop, though you do have to be selective, and the aisles are a bit narrow for the larger person (but fortunately I'm a beanpole).

I'm just off for some more clearcoat now.
Who knows what else I'll find.......:biggrin:

Dookbob
08-01-2013, 03:24 PM
I will never walk past my local pound shop again without checking it out, I have just gotta get hold of some of those plastic shot glasses. I wonder would I get an extra discount for being a member of the UKDOC, you didn,t try them with that one did you Utopia?

Rally
08-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I was introduced to a Pound shop just after Christmas. I couldnt believe the bargains that you can get for a quid. Simple things like Fairy liquid that is normally twice or three times that! I spent ages looking around and will be going back again.

Wilkinsons is another place for a good bargain as well. :D

Liz
08-01-2013, 06:46 PM
So, how much did you actually spend lol!

Rally
08-01-2013, 08:03 PM
So, how much did you actually spend lol!

If that question was aimed at me Liz, I think from memory it was £18 in total. Bargain!

gary tompkins
08-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I only use the 99p shop now... pound shop is such a rip off

Martin Duke
08-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Pound Shops.... Also worth checking out are some of the "motorist" aerosols; the brake cleaner, degreaser and WD40 alike are all good. Small stainless steel dishes and bowls (dog food bowls!) are handy when taking things apart - cable tie packs, bungees and lots more.

utopia
09-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Today they'd run out of clearcoat.
But I did score a bit of that non-slip, non-scratch matting for underneath my tankbag. In a tasty shade of drab green too. A quid, naturally.
And a couple of vinyl sunglasses cases.....two for a quid.
I did have to break into my second tenner today though........:eek:
And then I had to leave cos the muzak was dire.

strumbuddy
09-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Aye, the smell of a pound shop or Wilko bargain!!!! As the utopia boy says great bargains to be had but you need to be selective, just bought a Wilko magnetic tax disc holder for the X trail for a bargain £1.99p, and do you know what its about as magnetic or useful as a sponge leg on a wet night!!! So its out with the selotape again.....

utopia
10-01-2013, 03:29 AM
I prefer the ones that you have to spit on and smear it around a bit.
Having first breathed on the windscreen and rubbed it with your sleeve.

Maybe its an urban myth, but I heard that the Leicester rioters looted.......the pound shop !!!
I guess its a win, win.... if they're bargains AND you get them for nowt.

Zak
10-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Many years ago when I worked for WD40 I used to have the Pound shop as an account of mine, they have the most incredible buying policy, if you have a product that you want to shift, they will buy pallets of the stuff as long as they can make 6%, so whenever months weren't going so well for me, I used to call their buyer, do a deal on a load of pallets of 125ml WD40 and hit my targets by shifting a load to them.

It means that their stock is constantly changing depending on which manufacturer of whatever product needs to shift a load of excessive stock they have in the warehouse, Cadburys, Kellogs, Coca-Cola, Timotei etc etc, all used to do the same thing, so it's always worth popping in to see what they have got in from week to week, it's an incredibly dynamic business approach and one to be admired. Quality products (sometimes) from big brand names (sometimes), for £1 (always).

On a side note, their main warehouse is a site to behold, smoother operation than most large corporates, size of a small African nation, employs over 1000 people on that one site, and precision logistics that the Brititsh Army could learn from.

A business model to be admired.

Char
10-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Lucky to have this place on my doorstep - all sorts of stuff you dont really need so cheap that you do really need - if you know what I mean - garage floor paint less than 1/2 price at moment

http://www.in-excess.com/

Again you need to constantly pop in to check out the bargains - plus they do a great bacon butty in the Salisbury store

He11cat
10-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Just this morning they are saying no longer for the frugal but the middle class.
There also was an interesting program on sales tactics.
Some things are bargains others you have to watch like cereal as the packets weight for weight a lot less.

I use mine for 1% milk and Jiffy bags :)

utopia
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Just this morning they are saying no longer for the frugal but the middle class.

Damn.
Have I blown my "man of the people" image now ?

strumbuddy
11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I prefer the ones that you have to spit on and smear it around a bit.
Having first breathed on the windscreen and rubbed it with your sleeve.

Maybe its an urban myth, but I heard that the Leicester rioters looted.......the pound shop !!!
I guess its a win, win.... if they're bargains AND you get them for nowt.
He He, nice one! As to the tax disc holder, should I start a thread asking how to attach it!!!:eek:

utopia
11-01-2013, 04:24 PM
As to the tax disc holder, should I start a thread asking how to attach it!!!:eek:

Oh no, whatever you do, don't do that.
I could have an extremely geeky reply, complete with pics, working drawings and everything. And all for under thirty bob too.
I'd never live that down !!!
......not a second time anyway.

steeevvvooo
12-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Have to be careful with some things in the poundshops. There was a program on recently...

Quid for spray paint... No brainer, that's cheap!

But, there are plenty of clever marketing tricks employed and many of the products are special sizes apparently made specifically for pound shops , I.e smaller packet sizes, less packets of crisps in a multipack, etc

You get nowt for nowt as they say! :)

manwithredbike
12-01-2013, 11:40 PM
I only use the 99p shop now... pound shop is such a rip off

Couldn't figure this post out - but the penny has just dropped

utopia
17-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Update on the paint.....
This is quite spooky actually.
I applied three topcoats of black gloss, then left it for about a week. (intended to do more coats, but the solvent got to me).
Finish had a slight orange peel, so I rubbed it down with 400 through to 1200 grit wet 'n dry.
Unfortunately, I went a little too far and rubbed through to the primer in a couple of tiny areas, so I left it overnight intending to repaint the following morning.
When I next looked at it, a couple of days later, the matt finish left after the wet 'n dry had miraculously become glossy again.....??????
How can this be ?
Maybe I have a family of elves living in my house (like the shoemaker), who set to work while I'm asleep ?
I might put the monster in the kitchen tonight and see what they can achieve on that.
Come to think of it, I have heard some scuffling, but I'd put it down to a mouse in the cavity walls.