PDA

View Full Version : Does a S4R petrol tank fit a M600

cdre81
04-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi, does anyone know if monster S4R petrol tank will fit on M600? I've just bought one on eBay and am now worried it might not fit as I've been told by someone they are a different fit! I only want it as a play thing to have two different colour tanks ( ie one black and one white). If they are different does anyone have a M600 tank and care to swoop with what I've just bought? And haven't seen the new tank as picking it up this Sunday.
Thanks for reading.

Petej
04-01-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm not 100% but surely the s4r has a fuel pump, and the m600 is carb'd

Ill await to be shot down..... But I don't think it will?

uksurfer
04-01-2013, 08:06 PM
i think your heading for trouble with that, plus some have had trouble with the seat not aligning and a gap appears

apart from what pete has said

live and learn :-)

utopia
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I think you've probably got the least likely tank to fit an M600 there.
I don't know too much about injected bikes or the S4r, but I think you may have bought a plastic tank, with a large hole in the base for the internal fuel pump. It will not be a straight swap on your carby bike by any means. I'd swap or re-sell it.
I bought a spare tank for my carby M750 (600/900 models will be the same), and learned at the time that there are two types, and this is where the seat misalignment/gap comes in.
Look at your seat...the two forward extensions which wrap around the tank. If the very front bit is pointy, it requires the earlier, slightly larger tank. This will have pointy cut-outs to match the seat, about the same size as a 1p coin. These tanks can also be inentified by a seam around the steering head cut-out.
Later, slightly smaller tanks have a larger radius here (to fit with a less pointy seat)...more like a £2 coin, and are smooth around the steering head cut-out.
Also, the earlier tanks have a narrower section around the filler cap (about 1cm wide, from memory) while later tanks are wider here (2cm ?).

Old steel tanks are susceptible to leaks where the rear hinge is fitted, particularly if the tank has been carelessly lifted with a lot of fuel in it.
I bought a damaged in storage, unused one, with a couple of minor dents that needed filling, which is good if you can find one. I think I paid a tad over £100. A lot of older steel tanks will also have a dent or two.

utopia
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Oh, and year of manufacture (tank, not neccessarily bike) is stamped on the hinge on both my tanks.

He11cat
05-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Nope as Utopia says ...
And the insides gubbings with be different need to be converted for a carbed bike :(
Your looking for pre 2000 ideally and definatley a carby bike :(