PDA

View Full Version : Wheel coating flaking

Nick Peace
02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
I have just noticed the covering (not sure if there is a better word for this) has began to flake on my rear wheel [image hopefully attached]. I imagine as it has been sitting for sometime that some Brake fluid has dripped. Can anyone advise on the best course of action. I have just finished painting the engine/frame/swing arm/ suspension linkage, so don't want the wheel to look bad or get any worse when back out on the road. My thought was to sand down all of the covering (still looking for that better word) and paint. On a very tight budget, so will do it myself. It is on a 98 M600.

Grumpy
02-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Have you a motor industry paint supplier near by?
If so take the wheel to them, see if they can match the colour in a spray can.

Nick Peace
02-01-2013, 07:59 PM
I can get the paint, it was more the thought of removing all the other covering before painting, If/when I do paint it I'll probably spay it black.

Grumpy
02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
I found spraying a wheel to be unsatisfactory, when new tyres are fitted, the paint tends to become marked and flake. The new colour was sprayed over the original, although the wheel was de greased and washed.
Powder coating is a better finish. You should pay in the region of £25 to £35 per wheel depending on your local rates.

Nick Peace
02-01-2013, 08:18 PM
that's a good call on changing tyre front, hadn't thought of that. Powder coating looks like the way forward, is it just a case of rubbing down the old coating, or can it be dipped in summut?

Grumpy
02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
My local powder coating Co recommend that the metal is throughly de greased, my wheels where bead blasted before coating to give a clean, keyed surface.This was included in the cost for the powder coating.

Nick Peace
02-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Then that seems the way forward, Many thanks for your help. I'll try and find a local place that will do that.

Pedro
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Not very local to you but look up Trestan Finishers in Southampton - about £30 a wheel I think from memory but a first class finish

Ped

utopia
03-01-2013, 01:07 AM
On the other hand, that damage doesn't look like its in an area which will take any rough treatment when tyres are changed.
That colour looks the same as my wheels, or at least very similar.
About 4yrs ago, I dinged my front rim and had to have it straightened.
The guy who did it, touched up the paint afterwards with an aerosol can from RS paints.
I dunno how he prepped the surface, but its been fine ever since. The colour match, while not 100% perfect, is good enough that you don't notice that half of the wheel has been repainted.
Unless you particularly want to refinish both wheels now, I might be inclined to just touch it up for a tenner or so, without even having to remove the wheel. At least until you're ready for new tyres.

DrD
03-01-2013, 06:31 AM
If you're on a tight budget (as mentioned) the powder coating may turn out expensive. You will have to remove wheel bearings and cush drive. And more than likely renew them. The £30 a wheel quoted above suddenly comes in quite a bit more expensive.

Given where it is, I suggest you use the aerosol can approach. Rub down to smooth, flat grey primer. If you can get a good match on the wheel colour, a small masked out area will not be noticeable or prone to tyre change damage.